Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

Pengin.    5

Let's take all the personality that made the Suns jerseys great and arch and add bevel to the Suns hideous wordmark! At least they took the black away from the jersey but here lies a huge problem: The Suns' primary logo is ALL BLACK!

mike2sana    61
18 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Not quite. Nike has gotten rid of home and road designations. New uniform guidelines work like this:

The home team in a match-up can choose any one (1) of their four (4) uniforms- which are labeled "Association", "Icon, Community", and "Athlete's Mindset"- to wear; and the opposing (road) team must choose a contrasting uniform from their set of four (4). Uniforms are designated as follows:

(Approximation of Nike press release regarding uniform rotation - my nikespeak is nowhere near as polished.)

Association: Celebrates the tradition of the all-white uniform in the NBA which "unifies the league" seeing as every team has one. - This is every team's white uniform (previously known as Home uniform)

Icon: The counter of the "Association" uniform, the "Icon" uniform is meant to celebrate a team's individuality as a brand. - This is every team's colored uniform (previously known as Road uniform)

*Community: (Also referred to as Pride, or City Pride, etc.) Team uniform design that draws inspiration from the community surrounding and supporting the team. - Can be white or colored. (previously known as Alternate uniform)

*Athlete's Mindset: (Also referred to as Athlete, Mindset, etc.) Team uniform design that is inspired by players or teams of years past or present. - Can be colored or white. Many team are using fauxback uniform combining both modern and retro elements from the team's history. (previously known as Alternate uniform or Hardwood Classic uniform)

*Not sure if every team has both a "Community" and an "Athlete's Mindset" uniform, but they all have at least one of the two.

Let's not forget the Lakers purple is called the "Statement"

duma    2
16 hours ago, upperV03 said:

More looks at some of the unreleased uniforms here:

I didnt realize this before but there are only a few teams in the league now with rounded collars.  Knicks and Celtics stand out in this photo

Tracy Jordan    32
14 hours ago, colortv said:

DG9GE7yXYAERfVy.jpg:large

Too many teams wearing navy. Utah and Indiana basically look the same from a far enough distance. The Clippers are an upgrade. Denver is a major downgrade. The Hornets have the best unis of the bunch IMHO. 

josh106802    1

Interesting that with all the new designs and the Bulls' and Lakers' minor tweaks, it seems like every single NBA team is now using only one-color names-on-the-back (for at least the Association and Icon jerseys.)

eibram    81
19 hours ago, colortv said:

DG9GE7yXYAERfVy.jpg:large

ICON JERSEYS Color Summary:

1 team in gray = Hawks

1 team in yellow (or gold) = Lakers (because their purple one is a "statement" whatever that is)

1 team in teal = Hornets

2 teams in green = Celtics and Bucks

2 teams in purple = Suns and Kings

4 teams in black = Spurs, Nets, Blazers and Heat

5 teams in red = Rockets, Raptors, Cavaliers, Bulls and Wizards

6 teams in dark (or navy) blue = Nuggets, Pacers, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Jazz and Pelicans

8 teams in blue = Knicks, Clippers, Sixers, Magic, Mavericks, Warriors, Thunder and Pistons

Too many shades of blue in my opinion.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:05 PM, DG_Now said:

It would appear you're wrong. Welcome to the present old man.

Just because something is there doesn’t mean it belongs.

18 hours ago, Ark said:

The Lakers aren't wearing yellow at home and purple on the road anymore?

Again, they can wear whatever they want, wherever they want so long as there’s sufficient contrast with the opponent. I wouldn’t expect much to change at home, but I suspect they’ll be forced to wear white or gold more often on the road due to more teams opting to wear a colored uniform at home.

Lights Out    2,059

I really don't understand why people are mourning the loss of the Suns' previous uniform set. IMO, it was the worst in the entire league. I can't decide which element looked ugliest together: the half-assed streaking lines across the front of the jersey, the sublimated streaking lines in the wordmarks, the butt stripe (I know the new uniforms have one as well, but it's actually integrated into the design), or the overly detailed suns/wings on the shorts that didn't match any other aspect of their identity. Some of these elements could have looked nice on their own in a different context, but together, they didn't work at all. Then there was the jumbled mess that was their color scheme. You can tell they scrambled to change the road uniform from black to purple at the last minute to appease angry fans, because purple didn't appear anywhere else in their whole identity.

Their new look isn't perfect, but at least there's visual consistency. It actually looks like there was a purpose to the design, instead of a design-by-committee mess that tried to please everyone at once.

Hopefully over the next few years, the Raptors, Wolves, Rockets, Thunder and Mavs will take a cue from the Suns and change their butt-ugly looks. Especially the Mavs, who have sorely needed a change for 16 years now.

Wally1912    15
On 8/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, upperV03 said:

From that 2K video, a couple of screenshots showing the Knicks' and Celtics' updated shorts designs:

IMG_6779.thumb.PNG.26471661db828a6be00e052bccdecac4.PNG

IMG_6777.thumb.PNG.7a856ac59ada26589c7b8c8f17755310.PNG

This is the first official picture I've seen from the Celtics. Goofy shorts and missing armpit stripes as expected.

DG-17_1UIAAJsFz.jpg

upperV03    1,918

^Yeah, here's a better look at the shorts:

And a better look at the back of the jersey:

habsfan1    1,242

The shorts are barely passable. But those half trims on the Celtics jerseys are hideous.

JTrainGBR83    161

I actually liked the subtle rays in the Suns previous wordmark, much more than the bevel. 🤷🏼

The previous look had more unique features while the new one is pretty generic. Colors look good though. Ultimately it's subjective but I prefer the previous. New one will hopefully grow on me though.

Digby    671
4 hours ago, Wally1912 said:

This is the first official picture I've seen from the Celtics. Goofy shorts and missing armpit stripes as expected.

DG-17_1UIAAJsFz.jpg

I don't care about the shorts trim being a little odd, but the logo clutter is too much. Not enough visual space for two swooshes, a sponsor patch, and NBA patch and a belt buckle.

chakfu    39
8 minutes ago, Digby said:

I don't care about the shorts trim being a little odd, but the logo clutter is too much. Not enough visual space for two swooshes, a sponsor patch, and NBA patch and a belt buckle.

I'd rather see the colors swapped, the GE patch would be less obtrusive, but that guess that would defeat the purpose of an ad, to be obtrusive and noticeable.

I feel the same way on the Warriors jerseys, they looked better blending into the background with reversed colors in the 80s and 90s.  Now it looks like a pasted on crest/patch/badge/medallion.

I still find it appalling that the league was so profitable they were forced to suddenly expand the salary cap, leading Durant and the Warriors to ruin all competition.  Yet they still feel the need to squeeze out a few more dollar, literally selling out the jersey space and looking like a minor league operation.

On Stanley Johnson's instagram it showed Henry Ellenson wearing these throwback pistons shorts. hopefully thats a sign that these will be one of their alternate jerseys this year. Sorry for the horrible quality, and if this has already been mentioned.  

IMG_5902.PNG

eibram    81

Random thought. How do you guys think the Finals patches work? Will they replace the swoosh or get rid of it altogether?

mjd77    522
10 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I really don't understand why people are mourning the loss of the Suns' previous uniform set. IMO, it was the worst in the entire league. I can't decide which element looked ugliest together: the half-assed streaking lines across the front of the jersey, the sublimated streaking lines in the wordmarks, the butt stripe (I know the new uniforms have one as well, but it's actually integrated into the design), or the overly detailed suns/wings on the shorts that didn't match any other aspect of their identity. Some of these elements could have looked nice on their own in a different context, but together, they didn't work at all. Then there was the jumbled mess that was their color scheme. You can tell they scrambled to change the road uniform from black to purple at the last minute to appease angry fans, because purple didn't appear anywhere else in their whole identity.

Their new look isn't perfect, but at least there's visual consistency. It actually looks like there was a purpose to the design, instead of a design-by-committee mess that tried to please everyone at once.

Hopefully over the next few years, the Raptors, Wolves, Rockets, Thunder and Mavs will take a cue from the Suns and change their butt-ugly looks. Especially the Mavs, who have sorely needed a change for 16 years now.

Even though the last Suns set actually grew on me a bit I agree 100%.  There were just a bunch of elements to that set that didn't fit or flow well together.  Even though they kept the butt stripe, it fits much better into the new set.  I actually think the worst part of the last set was the logo on the shorts which didn't fit at all.  it was like they tried to mesh the Suns original logo with the firebird and IMO it failed miserably.