Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

Recommended Posts

I have confirmation that the Raptors 4th jersey this season will say "NORTH" on the front. On top of the word north will be a chevron pointing up or on the sides. I made 2 quick concepts. The colors are not confirmed. Only color confirmed is that it will be on a black template. This template belongs to Conrad Burry

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.58.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.56.23 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ScubaSteve    288
33 minutes ago, the_Raptors_king said:

I have confirmation that the Raptors 4th jersey this season will say "NORTH" on the front. On top of the word north will be a chevron pointing up or on the sides. I made 2 quick concepts. The colors are not confirmed. Only color confirmed is that it will be on a black template. This template belongs to Conrad Burry

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.58.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.56.23 PM.png

 

Well your track record has been spot on so we can basically chalk this up as confirmed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Derek94    67
13 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Another look at the Nike practice jerseys:

IMG_7131.thumb.JPG.b797b319c15fe2c9887e1f406faf2120.JPG

40 year old Ginobili and 20 year old Murray.  And when Manu was 20, was Nike's first foray with NBA jerseys in 1997.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ice_Cap    7,584

They're putting "NORTH" on a jersey?

 

Ok. That's it. Raptors brand is officially garbage. Used to be we could mock all of those other teams slapping nicknames or air port codes on jerseys. Not anymore. It's done. Good job.

 

G-d, just rebrand as the Huskies already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quillz    224
2 hours ago, the_Raptors_king said:

I have confirmation that the Raptors 4th jersey this season will say "NORTH" on the front. On top of the word north will be a chevron pointing up or on the sides. I made 2 quick concepts. The colors are not confirmed. Only color confirmed is that it will be on a black template. This template belongs to Conrad Burry

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.58.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.56.23 PM.png

This... is so, so awful. So "North" is now a nickname for Toronto? Really? Will the Warriors get a "Hella" jersey? Maybe the Nuggets can get a "303" jersey.

 

I normally don't have issues with alternate jerseys, but stuff like this is going too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,160

As a Blazers fan, I laugh every time I see any part of the Raptors' "We The North" marketing campaign since Portland is farther north than Toronto. To this day, this tweet is one my favorites that the Blazers' Twitter account has ever put out there:

And Minneapolis is farther north than Toronto as well, so technically the Raptors are the third northernmost team in the league. Now I completely understand that the meaning of the "We The North" slogan is much more than the latitude of the city of Toronto, but on face value that's what it's always seemed like it's in reference to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFGiants58    1,874
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

They're putting "NORTH" on a jersey?

 

Ok. That's it. Raptors brand is officially garbage. Used to be we could mock all of those other teams slapping nicknames or air port codes on jerseys. Not anymore. It's done. Good job.

 

G-d, just rebrand as the Huskies already.

 

Crap like this makes me wish the Vancouver Grizzlies were still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadmanLA    83
1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

As a Blazers fan, I laugh every time I see any part of the Raptors' "We The North" marketing campaign since Portland is farther north than Toronto. To this day, this tweet is one my favorites that the Blazers' Twitter account has ever put out there:

And Minneapolis is farther north than Toronto as well, so technically the Raptors are the third northernmost team in the league. Now I completely understand that the meaning of the "We The North" slogan is much more than the latitude of the city of Toronto, but on face value that's what it's always seemed like it's in reference to.

 

Just imagine if and when Seattle and Vancouver ever get the NBA back....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,393
10 hours ago, the_Raptors_king said:

I have confirmation that the Raptors 4th jersey this season will say "NORTH" on the front. On top of the word north will be a chevron pointing up or on the sides. I made 2 quick concepts. The colors are not confirmed. Only color confirmed is that it will be on a black template. This template belongs to Conrad Burry

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.58.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 9.56.23 PM.png

 

Clearly they are trying to appeal to Kanye's kid.  Move over, Drake.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Conrad.    794
2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Still love that we the north typeface, though. Grasping for a silver lining over here. 

Meh, it's alright. Would like it better if it just wasn't an already-existing font: http://www.dafont.com/chinese-rocks.font

 

Could they not be bothered to create something customized for an organization that makes millions of dollars in revenue? :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjd77    554
8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

Crap like this makes me wish the Vancouver Grizzlies were still around.

 

If this is the level of stupidity we are going to see with some of these 4th jerseys, I'd rather see the sleeves back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FinsUp1214    1,795

This alternate "motto on front" nonsense is utter crap. The NBA's stooping hard down to minor league level. And I thought "Rip City" was bad...

 

You're the Toronto Raptors, not "The North".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Foxxtrot44    255
19 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

 

And that's a bummer. It almost sounds like Jazz brass is taking the Gordon Hayward departure to Boston juuust a little too personal to remove a green (a dark green at that!) option from the rotation. 🙄 😋

 

I have a theory that they went from purple to blue with the J-Note logo so as to not look too much like the Lakers (which is actually a fair point, as most pre-1997 Utah Jazz apparel is dang near identical to the Lakers, save for the logo, being primarily purple and yellow). Of course, this could be easily solved by emphasizing green as the secondary color over yellow with purple being the primary color, but Jazz management has a track record, though good overall, in getting juuust one or two things off in terms of team design.

 

That would be infinitely better than reality...

"[Haslem] said research has shown that the uniform color that young people buy most right now is a light blue, followed by navy." 

 

To the current scheme:

"The NBA used national focus groups — though none in Utah — to test the marketability of the colors and logo.

It didn't hurt that the Jazz's green throwback jerseys during the Hardwood Classics program last season were wildly popular."

 

I also wouldn't doubt that Larry Miller's relationship with BYU also influenced the holdover of navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FinsUp1214    1,795
42 minutes ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

To the current scheme:

"The NBA used national focus groups — though none in Utah — to test the marketability of the colors and logo.

It didn't hurt that the Jazz's green throwback jerseys during the Hardwood Classics program last season were wildly popular."

 

Sorta related, sorta not; but I really wish the throwback kelly green was used over the current green from the start (and that it was the primary road color, too). The lack of contrast between the navy and forest green now is one of the things that grind my gears the most about the current identity. The throwback green would've really popped and livened things up a bit.

 

Oh, and that rumored gold alternate sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now