NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

1 minute ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I find it very odd that as much as the Raptors market/advertise/take pride on the fact that they're from 'Up North", their city name is no where to be found anywhere on their set.

I'm sure that's by design:  they want to be the team for all of Canada, not just Toronto.

After the Senators left DC, the Orioles tried to position themselves as the team of the mid-Atlantic/DMV -- so they removed "Baltimore" from the away jerseys.  Once baseball returned to DC, "Baltimore" returned to the O's jerseys.  

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, keynote said:

I don't see the white accents in the 2K version.  Or, is that George's base layer peeking out? 

I had the same thought, but it looks like it's just his base layer. The other tweet doesn't show any white on the back. It looks a bit sloppy hanging out like that, so hopefully we won't see too much of that in the league this year. But it might be inevitable with the way the shoulders are cut.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

34 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I don't understand why OKC got names below the numbers instead of above, but I agree this is a nice looking uni.

MKDon, All Star Game jerseys are new in game or adidas one?

Nah, just generic 2K jerseys.

btw Clippers center logo is tiny. And i think i prefer it that way. Not happy about the lack of blue tho.
DJ2o7kPX0AArzxI.jpg:large

35 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

I had the same thought, but it looks like it's just his base layer. The other tweet doesn't show any white on the back. It looks a bit sloppy hanging out like that, so hopefully we won't see too much of that in the league this year. But it might be inevitable with the way the shoulders are cut.

After seeing the real thing, I’m even more disappointed because the heaviness of the K and the kerning really take down a notch what is otherwise a great, unexpected uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

One thing that's apparent to me with the transition to Nike is that there seems to be a greater emphasis on team colored gear such as tights, arm sleeves, socks, etc., especially with the alternates. Obviously there's been some of that in the past, with the Stance sock deal the past few years and a small array of colors for things like arm sleeves, but now it seems like Nike has produced fully customized, team-specific colors for all of it. I'm personally a huge fan of that as I think it creates a more cohesive and unified look when everything matches.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

46 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

I would hope/assume that Nike would provide players with base layers designed to neatly fit under their uni template.  

The league has rules about what kinds of base layers and extraneous equipment players can wear.  And, given that the league apparently required players to wear Adidas base layers under the previous contract...

A-MyLxKCMAAh0ty.jpg

...I assume they'll now require players to wear Nike gear going forward. 

That said, it seemed as if some Adidas endorsers pushed the envelope under the old contract.  I found Dwight's gaudy arm sleeve distracting, but since he was shilling an Adidas product, the league and the manufacturer were (presumably) fine with all of that silver "trim," despite violating the letter of the guidelines (silver is not a team color for the Lakers).  I'll note that I don't recall ever seeing  a non-Adidas endorser wear the Dwight Howard-style two-color arm sleeve.  

adidas-techfit.jpgDwight+Howard+smiles+in+a+Laker+home+jer

vs. 

113143920_crop_650x440.jpg?1317042552

http://www.marketingshift.com/2009/5/adidas-markets-dwight-howards-protective.cfm

In any event, it's possible that Nike will now flex its muscle and encourage select Nike athletes (like Paul George) to wear more eye-catching Nike base layers, arm sleeves, etc., in order to promote the brand. 

16 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

One thing that's apparent to me with the transition to Nike is that there seems to be a greater emphasis on team colored gear such as tights, arm sleeves, socks, etc., especially with the alternates. Obviously there's been some of that in the past, with the Stance sock deal the past few years and a small array of colors for things like arm sleeves, but now it seems like Nike has produced fully customized, team-specific colors for all of it. I'm personally a huge fan of that as I think it creates a more cohesive and unified look when everything matches.

+1.  I hope this also marks the end of those black, sleeved base layers players would wear.  It's one thing if we're talking about the kinesiological tape -- but an entire shirt?  Why not make that layer in a team color?  This looks horrible.  

kristaps-porzingis-nba-washington-wizard

11 minutes ago, MkDon said:

The new courts in game

And finally Capital One Arena :D
DJ2v5wMXUAA6Tu3.jpg:large

Oof.  Is that a *red* tint inside the 3-point arc?  I don't like that at all.  But, hopefully it will remind the Wizards not to take so many long 2s at home.  

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

On another note, have we talked about the Nike warmup hoodies? Were the players wearing these before the big reveal last night? Nike's site has a big jargon filled press release about them, but no good photos beyond this.

Nike-NBA-Warm-Up-Jacket-Collage_native_1

My wife and I were ogling those.  I'm sure they'll be *steep* (e.g., $120+), but they're nice.

I still long for the days of customized team warmups, rather than a league-wide template every year.  But this design (either in the team color or in neutral charcoal) looks nicer to me than the various templates Adidas trotted out.  

15 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

I'm incredibly biased, but I still like these a lot.

Also, thank goodness the Rakuten patch is getting color changed on some unis.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Archived