NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

I think the Lakers are one of the worst...though that's probably influenced by how iconic their uniforms/franchise are.  Kinda like how the Yankees will be the most jarring of all the UA logos.

Having seen most of these sponsor patches, they look about how I figured they'd look (as opposed to "even worse" or "not as bad").  And that is: cheap.  It's a huge step in the direction of "minor league."  In no way do I think this even approaches "tasteful."  There may be degrees of tastelessness and these may be a smaller degree than, say, European leagues, but it's tasteless, nonetheless.

Two sad facts about this:

• We are the biggest uniform nerds in the world and are probably split 50/50 on whether this is a big deal or not (so I'd bet that at most 5% the general fan population will feel that way)
  • I, a casual NBA fan, will probably change nothing about my NBA consumption.  The Timberwolves are as promising as they've been in a while and I don't see myself boycotting and I could live without the NBA more than many.

So this tells me 1) that these adds are here to stay, 2) that they'll slowly get bigger, and 3) the other sports will be doing it.  So unless there is some surprise angle I'm not seeing (like a legitimate decline in jersey sales or something out of my element related to the sharing of visibility between the team and the sponsor), it's the beginning of the end.  I tend to doubt jersey sales will be impacted (particularly in basketball, but in all sports as well).  Either fans will buy them as is or the leagues will produce them sans ads.  While I would not 1) buy one with ads or 2) buy one that does not look the same (thereby forcing me to buy none) I doubt very many fans are that rigid.

My guess is that the other leagues love that the NBA is doing it.  They get to wait and see whether there are any negatives.  Once it turns out there are not, they should each be on board within a few years.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I think the Lakers are one of the worst...though that's probably influenced by how iconic their uniforms/franchise are.  Kinda like how the Yankees will be the most jarring of all the UA logos.

Having seen most of these sponsor patches, they look about how I figured they'd look (as opposed to "even worse" or "not as bad").  And that is: cheap.  It's a huge step in the direction of "minor league."  In no way do I think this even approaches "tasteful."  There may be degrees of tastelessness and these may be a smaller degree than, say, European leagues, but it's tasteless, nonetheless.

Two sad facts about this:

• We are the biggest uniform nerds in the world and are probably split 50/50 on whether this is a big deal or not (so I'd bet that at most 5% the general fan population will feel that way)
  • I, a casual NBA fan, will probably change nothing about my NBA consumption.  The Timberwolves are as promising as they've been in a while and I don't see myself boycotting and I could live without the NBA more than many.

So this tells me 1) that these adds are here to stay, 2) that they'll slowly get bigger, and 3) the other sports will be doing it.  So unless there is some surprise angle I'm not seeing (like a legitimate decline in jersey sales or something out of my element related to the sharing of visibility between the team and the sponsor), it's the beginning of the end.  I tend to doubt jersey sales will be impacted (particularly in basketball, but in all sports as well).  Either fans will buy them as is or the leagues will produce them sans ads.  While I would not 1) buy one with ads or 2) buy one that does not look the same (thereby forcing me to buy none) I doubt very many fans are that rigid.

My guess is that the other leagues love that the NBA is doing it.  They get to wait and see whether there are any negatives.  Once it turns out there are not, they should each be on board within a few years.

i feel the same

21 minutes ago, bowld said:

Been playing NBA Live for past week and honestly barely even notice the ads. Yes they suck but really not as bad as I originally thought. 

Ugh, NO.  Stop it.  

This is what the NBA wants.  

europe_original_crop_340x234.jpg?1333056

"I barely notice the Rytas patch since it matches the white piping!" 

WE ARE GOING DOWN THIS ROAD

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Damn, I was really hoping the Lakers would be one of the few teams to not partake in the ad patches seeing as their uniforms are basically classic, basketball royalty (along with the Celts, Spurs, Bulls among others). As far as patches go (because all advertisements on uniforms suck), it isn't bad. It's at least a small, relatively non obtrusive word that's color coordinated with the uniforms. 

I will never buy a jersey with one of these patches and if for some reason I ever renege on that, I would cut off the patch. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

I mean isn't that what we would want? Same color as the jersey so that it blends in and "kinda" disappears. In a world where ads will be around that's the best case scenario right?

I feel like best case scenario is when a sponsor looks like it could be a team jersey patch on first glance. Something that blends and doesn't stop you in your tracks like Utah, or relatively unobtrusive like Cleveland, Orlando and Philly.

It's an ugly stain on the jersey that should've never been there in the first place. These next few years are gonna be terrible for NBA jerseys that have taken a hit since Adidas brought in the Rev 30. The sooner their gone and the sooner they put the Jerry West logo back in it's rightful place, the better! 

XM4KeeA.png

34 minutes ago, insert name said:

It's an ugly stain on the jersey that should've never been there in the first place. These next few years are gonna be terrible for NBA jerseys that have taken a hit since Adidas brought in the Rev 30. The sooner their gone and the sooner they put the Jerry West logo back in it's rightful place, the better! 

Sorry, they're never going away. I agree with you that Adidas' Rev 30 material was terrible - close ups made it look like something that would be bulk ordered from an Eastbay catalog by a high school athletic department. The NBA logo also looks gross at the top back of the jersey. But money talks and the ads are here to stay.

49 minutes ago, insert name said:

Rev30 was an important uniform milestone. The weight reduction alone was astronomical, and the concept of reducing the amount of material in the numbers to avoid multiple layers of fabric building up and holding moisture was innovative on a league-wide scale, and something that’s being continued with the new uniforms.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

37 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Rev30 was an important uniform milestone. The weight reduction alone was astronomical, and the concept of reducing the amount of material in the numbers to avoid multiple layers of fabric building up and holding moisture was innovative on a league-wide scale, and something that’s being continued with the new uniforms.

Okay, but screen-printed tackle twill was invented well before Rev30.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

True, but thankfully, they chose to use a deeper, more textured technique while incorporating the weight, flexibility, and moisture upgrades.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Remember when the NBA first started the jersey ad idea and we got these photoshops of big name teams with high-profile brands on their jerseys? Now they're here and almost all of them are low-rent crap. Companies no one has ever heard of or cares about. They clearly overestimated the demand here and hopefully that means no other league bothers.

1zgyd8w.jpg

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Well, I guess you are talking about the swingman jerseys, because the authentic adidas rev30 were just awesome and nike is never gonna match that. It had all the things that make a jersey great: layers, texture and thick embroidery. The swingman were just crap.

zwpo8rt5omjo01sinl8r.jpg

Your queen is just a pawn with some fancy moves.

Archived