Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

Recommended Posts

upperV03    2,349

Has anybody noticed that all the teams have been wearing white socks and accessories during the preseason so far? I wonder if that’s a Nike mandated thing, as they wanna “debut” the more team-specific sock and accessory colors during the regular season. If that’s the case, it seems like they’d at least let teams wear black socks and accessories for now as well, but I’ve only seen teams wearing white so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bolt957    106
4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Has anybody noticed that all the teams have been wearing white socks and accessories during the preseason so far? I wonder if that’s a Nike mandated thing, as they wanna “debut” the more team-specific sock and accessory colors during the regular season. If that’s the case, it seems like they’d at least let teams wear black socks and accessories for now as well, but I’ve only seen teams wearing white so far.

 

I think you may be right on the team color accessories, as I've been wondering the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MBurmy    433

Sorry if this was addressed earlier...but I notice the Pistons' new court has no "Little Caesars Arena" logos or markings on it...I thought the NBA had a rule which said that all courts had to have the arena's name on it at some point (the Sixers creatively got around this rule, while the Pistons seem to be ignoring it entirely).

 

Could someone please clarify whether or not it even is a rule?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TaylorMade    300
58 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Sorry if this was addressed earlier...but I notice the Pistons' new court has no "Little Caesars Arena" logos or markings on it...I thought the NBA had a rule which said that all courts had to have the arena's name on it at some point (the Sixers creatively got around this rule, while the Pistons seem to be ignoring it entirely).

 

Could someone please clarify whether or not it even is a rule?

 

I don't know for sure but I highly doubt it's a rule. If anything, the sponsors probably pay extra to have their name on the court.

 

The Pistons court does have corporate branding courtesy of Tom Gores' Platinum Equity.

 

Image result for detroit pistons little caesars court

 

How did the Sixers "creatively get around" the rule? Their court clearly says Wells Fargo Center.

 

482091dd98dfbf84a3134b82b093778559f9ea0d06b426bd99ded366c9ef3c51.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MBurmy    433
7 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

 

I don't know for sure but I highly doubt it's a rule. If anything, the sponsors probably pay extra to have their name on the court.

 

The Pistons court does have corporate branding courtesy of Tom Gores' Platinum Equity.

 

Image result for detroit pistons little caesars court

 

How did the Sixers "creatively get around" the rule? Their court clearly says Wells Fargo Center.

 

482091dd98dfbf84a3134b82b093778559f9ea0d06b426bd99ded366c9ef3c51.png

I remember when "Wells Fargo Center' was in tiny, all-white...

Why can't the Pistons have "Platinum Equity" on one side and "Little Caesars Arena" on the other, I wonder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

 

How did the Sixers "creatively get around" the rule? Their court clearly says Wells Fargo Center.

 

482091dd98dfbf84a3134b82b093778559f9ea0d06b426bd99ded366c9ef3c51.png

A couple of years ago they had shrunk the logo and put it in white so that it was basically unreadable...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 11:22 AM, Conrad. said:

 

 

Much better. The lettering still lacks polish and personality, but the coloring here crisps up the look a ton. As they currently are, the numbers look pink from a distance compared to the letters.

 

On 10/4/2017 at 1:46 PM, sayahh said:

First thing that came to mind was Wonder Woman.

 

This has been an issue since the Adidas days, maybe even the later Reebok days iirc.

 

On 10/5/2017 at 8:26 AM, WSU151 said:

 

The 6 is a different design than the 9.  The 9's hole is more circular

 

The worst part is that it’s clearly an art mistake (unless it was somehow intentional). The trim on the 9 is offset to the inside of the counter instead of the outside. That’s all it is.

 

It’s like that on their official guide, and no one seems to know why. The only thing I can fathom is that they did it so that the 6 and 9 are easier to tell apart, but we’ve seen both upside down 9s used as 6s and vice versa, so if that was the goal, it didn’t work. It also looks inconceivably bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sayahh    380
1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Much better. The lettering still lacks polish and personality, but the coloring here crisps up the look a ton. As they currently are, the numbers look pink from a distance compared to the letters.

 

 

 

The worst part is that it’s clearly an art mistake (unless it was somehow intentional). The trim on the 9 is offset to the inside of the counter instead of the outside. That’s all it is.

 

It’s like that on their official guide, and no one seems to know why. The only thing I can fathom is that they did it so that the 6 and 9 are easier to tell apart, but we’ve seen both upside down 9s used as 6s and vice versa, so if that was the goal, it didn’t work. It also looks inconceivably bad.

Maybe to be able to tell the 8 and the 9 apart. But looking at all the nines, theirs is the only one that's jacked up. Unforgivable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sayahh said:

Maybe to be able to tell the 8 and the 9 apart. But looking at all the nines, theirs is the only one that's jacked up. Unforgivable.

 

Sorry. I meant easier for the equipment manager or seamstress to tell apart when applying them. In terms of readability, if the 6 and 8 are easy enough to discern, then there’s no reason the 9 should be different than the 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sayahh    380
20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Sorry. I meant easier for the equipment manager or seamstress to tell apart when applying them. In terms of readability, if the 6 and 8 are easy enough to discern, then there’s no reason the 9 should be different than the 6.

Gotcha, but why can't they just use the 6 for both? And seeing how they've used the big donut 9 as a 6 and the 6 as a 9, not sure it's really helping the seamstress at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Gotcha, but why can't they just use the 6 for both? And seeing how they've used the big donut 9 as a 6 and the 6 as a 9, not sure it's really helping the seamstress at all.

 

Exactly. That’s my point. I was trying to think of a reason, but there’s just no good one. It’s infuriating! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sayahh    380
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

 

Exactly. That’s my point. I was trying to think of a reason, but there’s just no good one. It’s infuriating! :-)

Wonder if someone knows who and why they designed it this way or whether they were asked to do so by someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
projectjohn    37
20 hours ago, MBurmy said:

I remember when "Wells Fargo Center' was in tiny, all-white...

Why can't the Pistons have "Platinum Equity" on one side and "Little Caesars Arena" on the other, I wonder?

Pistons court also has a Jeep logo on the sidelines in front of the bench areas now instead of team social media information. Yay for corporate advertising

 

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20170928/news/640691/jeep-signs-on-as-partner-with-detroit-pistons

 

In cheerier Pistons news, I really like that Nike swapped the blue and red stripes on the home jersey. It wasn't something I had ever thought about, but seeing it in action, it looks a lot better than how it has historically. The color balance on the jersey is superior, the front was too red heavy in the previous incarnation.

 

gettyimages-858460902_master.jpg?itok=QR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
projectjohn    37
8 minutes ago, kimball said:

Ugh. Why did Nike have to change the Pistons nameplate to a radial? I hate it.

 

ff_2721158_full.jpg&w=340

The arc isn't that pronounced on the real thing, thankfully. I agree that in a perfect world it would still be horizontal as it always been for the Pistons, but I'm assuming the change had to be made due to the shoulder cuts (what Nike calls the scapula seam) on the Nike template.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy    1

New court for the Clippers, the design next to the word Clippers out of bounds is gone, just says LA Clippers, the paint is Red with no more blue foul circle.The word American Airlines is a much smaller font than it used to be as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
panthers_2012    479
6 hours ago, Tommy said:

New court for the Clippers, the design next to the word Clippers out of bounds is gone, just says LA Clippers, the paint is Red with no more blue foul circle.The word American Airlines is a much smaller font than it used to be as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Clippers play in the Staples Center? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now