NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:22 AM, Conrad. said:

Much better. The lettering still lacks polish and personality, but the coloring here crisps up the look a ton. As they currently are, the numbers look pink from a distance compared to the letters.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:46 PM, sayahh said:

First thing that came to mind was Wonder Woman.

This has been an issue since the Adidas days, maybe even the later Reebok days iirc.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:26 AM, WSU151 said:

The 6 is a different design than the 9.  The 9's hole is more circular

The worst part is that it’s clearly an art mistake (unless it was somehow intentional). The trim on the 9 is offset to the inside of the counter instead of the outside. That’s all it is.

It’s like that on their official guide, and no one seems to know why. The only thing I can fathom is that they did it so that the 6 and 9 are easier to tell apart, but we’ve seen both upside down 9s used as 6s and vice versa, so if that was the goal, it didn’t work. It also looks inconceivably bad.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

Much better. The lettering still lacks polish and personality, but the coloring here crisps up the look a ton. As they currently are, the numbers look pink from a distance compared to the letters.

The worst part is that it’s clearly an art mistake (unless it was somehow intentional). The trim on the 9 is offset to the inside of the counter instead of the outside. That’s all it is.

It’s like that on their official guide, and no one seems to know why. The only thing I can fathom is that they did it so that the 6 and 9 are easier to tell apart, but we’ve seen both upside down 9s used as 6s and vice versa, so if that was the goal, it didn’t work. It also looks inconceivably bad.

Maybe to be able to tell the 8 and the 9 apart. But looking at all the nines, theirs is the only one that's jacked up. Unforgivable.

Just now, sayahh said:

Maybe to be able to tell the 8 and the 9 apart. But looking at all the nines, theirs is the only one that's jacked up. Unforgivable.

Sorry. I meant easier for the equipment manager or seamstress to tell apart when applying them. In terms of readability, if the 6 and 8 are easy enough to discern, then there’s no reason the 9 should be different than the 6.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Sorry. I meant easier for the equipment manager or seamstress to tell apart when applying them. In terms of readability, if the 6 and 8 are easy enough to discern, then there’s no reason the 9 should be different than the 6.

Gotcha, but why can't they just use the 6 for both? And seeing how they've used the big donut 9 as a 6 and the 6 as a 9, not sure it's really helping the seamstress at all.

44 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Gotcha, but why can't they just use the 6 for both? And seeing how they've used the big donut 9 as a 6 and the 6 as a 9, not sure it's really helping the seamstress at all.

Exactly. That’s my point. I was trying to think of a reason, but there’s just no good one. It’s infuriating! :-)

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Exactly. That’s my point. I was trying to think of a reason, but there’s just no good one. It’s infuriating! :-)

Wonder if someone knows who and why they designed it this way or whether they were asked to do so by someone else.

20 hours ago, MBurmy said:

I remember when "Wells Fargo Center' was in tiny, all-white...

Why can't the Pistons have "Platinum Equity" on one side and "Little Caesars Arena" on the other, I wonder?

Pistons court also has a Jeep logo on the sidelines in front of the bench areas now instead of team social media information. Yay for corporate advertising

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20170928/news/640691/jeep-signs-on-as-partner-with-detroit-pistons

In cheerier Pistons news, I really like that Nike swapped the blue and red stripes on the home jersey. It wasn't something I had ever thought about, but seeing it in action, it looks a lot better than how it has historically. The color balance on the jersey is superior, the front was too red heavy in the previous incarnation.

gettyimages-858460902_master.jpg?itok=QR

8 minutes ago, kimball said:

Ugh. Why did Nike have to change the Pistons nameplate to a radial? I hate it.

ff_2721158_full.jpg&w=340

The arc isn't that pronounced on the real thing, thankfully. I agree that in a perfect world it would still be horizontal as it always been for the Pistons, but I'm assuming the change had to be made due to the shoulder cuts (what Nike calls the scapula seam) on the Nike template.

New court for the Clippers, the design next to the word Clippers out of bounds is gone, just says LA Clippers, the paint is Red with no more blue foul circle.The word American Airlines is a much smaller font than it used to be as well.

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

New court for the Clippers, the design next to the word Clippers out of bounds is gone, just says LA Clippers, the paint is Red with no more blue foul circle.The word American Airlines is a much smaller font than it used to be as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Clippers play in the Staples Center? 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

5 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Clippers play in the Staples Center? 

He was talking about the American Airlines logos that’ve been on the sidelines the last several seasons:

7ECC4323-F12C-4DE2-978F-ABD9AC091B81.thumb.jpeg.f8b893eb2d603bc044592c44db030cf6.jpeg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 10/6/2017 at 1:51 AM, jerseyjunk said:

Please, Kobe is retired now, no need to drag him into this

Hey @infrared41, do we still nominate posts for POTD? Because if so, then may I? 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

ESPN fixed their NBA scoreboard and made it smaller so now it looks really good.

JueOKMn.png

It still looks really bland and amateurish to me. I don't understand why ESPN refuses to make their NFL and NBA graphics match the ones they use for every other sport. IMO, they should standardize their graphics around the Monday Night Football package.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

The Knicks posted this

seems pretty clear it’s a sponsor patch. Chase?

I just saw this too. At least if it is Chase, it'll color coordinate well with the jerseys I guess (tho I wonder what they'll do with it on the blue jersey). Also, didn't realize how big the Nike Swoosh was till now. Yeesh.

29 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

The Knicks posted this

seems pretty clear it’s a sponsor patch. Chase?

Oh good: they're adding a Star Trek combadge ;)

I don't know, that shadow just before the patch is placed on the jersey looks an awful lot like the shape of the Warner Music Group logo, if it was a patch.WMG_Inter_CultureMediaConseil.png

Also, it could easily be the Chase logo with "JP Morgan Chase" under it, as was stated, I just want to be a sleuth.

Putting a screenshot of the reflection in her glasses for anyone who wants to try to figure it out.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 12.03.24 PM.png

Archived