NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

3 minutes ago, kimball said:

I find it a bit odd for a team to wear a previous jersey from another city, especially with the city name on it.

I get that sentiment, but in this case at least it helps that Minneapolis Lakers hold a unique place in NBA history with five titles. I mean, I think the old Buffalo Braves uniforms were fantastic — both the baby blue and the orange/black iterations — but they didn't win a damn thing, which is why you don't see the Clippers trotting out those throwbacks every year. 

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, kimball said:

I find it a bit odd for a team to wear a previous jersey from another city, especially with the city name on it. Why not the 'Lakers' version? That'd be cool.

8069b_lg.jpeg

As I mentioned above, this is the Lakers’ 70th season, so it makes sense for them to go with the original MPLS uniforms, rather than the one you posted, which was worn in the 50’s before they left for LA. Having said that, they could’ve gone with their original white uniforms, which had “Lakers” on the front:

D386C314-43FE-4EEC-9049-422FC3191004.thumb.jpeg.28adc354ced74a69d18c037a1b2f0f97.jpeg

They haven’t worn the original white uniforms as a throwback before, probably because the road uniforms are much more distinctive.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I noticed the standings on nba.com list the "Los Angeles Lakers" but the "LA Clippers," so they really must be serious about pushing "LA" as the Clippers' location rather than "Los Angeles." How stupid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

50 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I noticed the standings on nba.com list the "Los Angeles Lakers" but the "LA Clippers," so they really must be serious about pushing "LA" as the Clippers' location rather than "Los Angeles." How stupid.

Yep they officially changed their name this season to the LA Clippers. Kinda strange, I just want them to get their own arena, which I hear is coming down the road.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

As I mentioned above, this is the Lakers’ 70th season, so it makes sense for them to go with the original MPLS uniforms, rather than the one you posted, which was worn in the 50’s before they left for LA. Having said that, they could’ve gone with their original white uniforms, which had “Lakers” on the front:

D386C314-43FE-4EEC-9049-422FC3191004.thumb.jpeg.28adc354ced74a69d18c037a1b2f0f97.jpeg

They haven’t worn the original white uniforms as a throwback before, probably because the road uniforms are much more distinctive.

True. They could just use this with the MPLS. jersey coloring. I mean it's not like they're going for 100% accuracy anyway with the NBA and stupid Wish logos on them as well. <_<

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 23/10/2017 at 4:03 PM, upperV03 said:

Lakers’ Classic Edition officially unveiled:

I’m not a Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this is one of my favorite uniforms in NBA history, and I’m ecstatic to see it brought back this season. The white text of the ad patch sticks out like a sore thumb (though ad patches in general stick out like a sore thumb), but otherwise I think it looks great. It’ll be worn for five games this season, the first of which will be on Wednesday night against the Wizards.

This is beautiful (apart from the ad, of course).  It is beautiful not only by aesthetic standards, but also because it teaches history.  Out in the world there are some kiddies who will find out for the first time, on account of this uniform, that the Lakers used to play in Minneapolis.  For me this is the more important thing.  And it is why all teams that have moved should wear throwback uniforms of their former identities.

Image result for rochester royals throwbacks  20171025_000027.jpg.4a4e28d170d6c717e01b4efc7556f836.jpg

Image result for a-rod washington senators mora-browns.thumb.jpg.02624490c1f254cf8c4810a9fee847d6.jpg

b9387dfb549e90cad0670568403cc760.jpg.231c63eef278c171c0690ed20747ab80.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is beautiful (apart from the ad, of course).  It is beautiful not only by aesthetic standards, but also because it teaches history.  Out in the world there are some kiddies who will find out for the first time, on account of this uniform, that the Lakers used to play in Minneapolis.  For me this is the more important thing.  And it is why all teams that have moved should wear throwback uniforms of their former identities.

Image result for rochester royals throwbacks  Related image

Image result for a-rod washington senators mora-browns.thumb.jpg.02624490c1f254cf8c4810a9fee847d6.jpg

Image result for dallas texans throwbacks

The funny thing is that throwback on A-Rod for the Rangers is for the original Senators that moved to Minnesota not the expansion Senators they derive from.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

46 minutes ago, kimball said:

The funny thing is that throwback on A-Rod for the Rangers is for the original Senators that moved to Minnesota not the expansion Senators they derive from.

Nope.

al_1961_washington.gif

That's a 1961-62 Senators uniform, the first uniform set of the future Texas Rangers.

The Cavs and Magic are both wearing their “Icon” uniforms at home right now, with their opponents (the Bulls and Nets) both wearing white. And I’m at the Blazers home opener which is set to tip off in about an hour, and they’re gonna follow suit by wearing their “Icon” uniforms at home tonight as well. They’re playing the Pelicans, who will be in white.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Remember the Christmas jersey that read LA Clippers? Tacky as hell.

The official Lakers website makes a point out of stating that they'll wear the purple Statement jersey for the first time on November 29th, which will be a home game against Golden State. Does this mean that they'll treat what was once their traditional away uniform as just another alternate? I can't imagine that's it easy for people with old televisions or atypical eyesight to differentiate between white and gold (which really looks like yellow outside of the special Staples Center lighting).

33 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

For a second i thought it was one of the memorial bands

It is: In remembrance of the jersey without the red band.

Cool move by the Lakers, who’ve added two more dates for their classic edition to be worn: January 1st and February 15th, their two road games in Minnesota this season.

BAAAC9F9-08B9-4F5E-8476-9DDCB16D0E0E.thumb.jpeg.e29713963770d7e10c37bd839361d8c6.jpeg

Initially their press release stated that the classic edition would only be worn five times this season, all of which were home games and none of which were against the Timberwolves, so it’s nice to see them decide to wear them for their two road games in Minnesota now as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

16 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

The official Lakers website makes a point out of stating that they'll wear the purple Statement jersey for the first time on November 29th, which will be a home game against Golden State. Does this mean that they'll treat what was once their traditional away uniform as just another alternate? I can't imagine that's it easy for people with old televisions or atypical eyesight to differentiate between white and gold (which really looks like yellow outside of the special Staples Center lighting).

I don't know on that one.  According to my information this what I have for sure on the Lakers thus far...

• Association (White jersey): 10/22/17, 11/5/17, 11/19/17, 12/3/17, 1/7/18, 1/21/18, 3/11/18, 4/1/18, 4/8/18 (note that all of those dates are Sunday home games, as has been the norm with that particular jersey)
  • Icon (Normal Yellow jersey): 10/19/17, 10/20/17
  • Statement (Purple jersey): 11/29/17
  • Unreleased fourth jersey (Presumed to be the return of the Hollywood Nights black jersey): TBD
  • Classic (Minneapolis Lakers jersey): 10/25/17, 11/15/17, 12/27/17, 1/1/18, 1/3/18, 2/15/18, 3/7/18

I have this same tracker going on for the rest of the league and at some point, if everyone is okay with it, I can share with everyone.  IF that is good, it will only be a once a month deal.  

Archived