NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

That's my understanding as well. I'll rephrase that as "the Raptors might have been forced to wear the white jersey" but that was just my assumption. I might've also gotten the thing about the league not allowing certain colors to be worn (e.g. Lakers purple?) prior to a certain date confused with the Lakers wearing gold causing the Raptor to have to revert to their home jerseys.

And, one thing I'd like to know is who's the judge of jerseys being contrast enough? And, what colors? Surely we're never going to see a red-orange match up like we did when the Knicks' wore their orange jerseys against a red suited Hawks team about 4-5 years ago. But, what about match ups of blue and green that are difficult for color blind fans to differentiate? We've already seen that with the Cavs and Celtics. 

I guess my thing is I'd like a little bit of order to it. For a league that had very strict rules to uniform match ups this has been a near 180 and I think what's what I've kinda expected (along with many fans). But, maybe this will be mooted a bit when the Statement and Community jerseys are finally in the rotations? 

I'm trying to hold my complete opinion until after Thanksgiving. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, colortv said:

Does anyone think they made the Nike swoosh so large in order to mitigate the appearance of the ads to fans?

They probably made the swoosh that size to compete with the add patch. Nike gets a deal that includes being able to put their marque on the jersey, probably don't want it to get lost with the add patch.

14 hours ago, tohasbo said:

That is what I had heard as well.  

My guess is there will be some sort of super clearance on the Majestic stock next fall and that is when I am going to go nuts buying MLB jerseys

Same here...hope my bank account can handle that haha ? 

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Same here...hope my bank account can handle that haha ? 

There wasn't and still isn't much of a sale going on for Adidas NBA merchandise. Most jerseys are only reduced by like 10-30% off. Not much for a jersey liquidation sale. I doubt this will translate to MLB.

NBA Adidas T-shirts and other apparel maybe going for up to 50% off though. But most are still regular price it's so ridiculous. I saved money this summer to clean house but NBA Store, Fanatics, etc..still listing items for close the original retail price and not "clearance prices"

shado_logo.gif

Long-time lurker, but I've been following the site for years. I'm tracking the uniform match-ups and results for every game this season and have made some observations about how teams are/will be able to continually reinvent their looks throughout the season:

• With 2 exceptions, every team has worn compression tights and socks matching the base color of the uniform.
    • The Lakers wore yellow compression tights, and blue socks, with their throwbacks
    • The Spurs wore black tights and socks with their white uniform on 10/27 @ Orlando
  • While the tights have generally matched the uniform color, the sleeves and headbands are contrasting on a more frequent basis
  • According to the Hornets uni schedule, teams appear to have the option of wearing a different color for each part of the uniform (jersey/shorts, headbands/sleeves, tights, socks). There are several instances show them wearing three separate colors (such as the image below)

I'm also tracking the number of games involving "traditional" (home white, road dark) matchups, "inverse" and color v. color. That data is running on Monday's over at Uni Watch.

CHAJAN2.JPG

1 hour ago, BShaw20 said:

Deetroit wearing white on the road vs Lakers...I guess Lakers visitors will all wear white? What about a Lakers “away” game vs Clippers wearing yellow, could that happen if Clippers wear blue or red? 

I'm pretty sure that the Clips wore blue as the road team against the yellow Lakers on opening night. Since then, if the Lakers are at home and not in white or blue, the road team has worn white (I think that's been two instances).

Lakers yellow vs whites looks so, so stupid. It also happened at Phoenix and looked dumb there too.

Nike sucks at the NBA. I have all the evidence I need.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Also I'm pretty sure Nike messed up the Lakers yellow too. And if they ever wear purple, I bet that'll look dumb too.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Also I'm pretty sure Nike messed up the Lakers yellow too. And if they ever wear purple, I bet that'll look dumb too.

On the plus side, there's a chance it could actually look consistently purple for a change.

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

On the plus side, there's a chance it could actually look consistently purple for a change.

Not sure if the kings and Lakers share the same purple textile color or not, but having seen the kings this weekend, in person it looks purple as should, but always looks on the blue side on tv. 

Also just an observation, when nike was taking over the NFL everyone couldn't wait for it. Then it happened and its appeared to get mostly mixed to not so good results/response.

Then NBA announced Nike received the contract and a lot of people couldn't wait for adidas to be gone. (sleeves, etc I get it, those were dumb)

It seams to be a repeat of history and people disliking what Nike has done. 

I for one expected nothing less than this mess NIKE has made. Was not happy to see them receive the contract. 

That's why I've posted in pretty much every supplier-change thread that people are dumb for always thinking "thank GODS supplier X is out.  Can't wait for supplier Y" when IT'S ALL THE GODSDAMNED SAME YOU IDIOTS.  When UA gets the contract, it'll be "can't wait for Nike to be out.  All hail UA!" then it'll be "ugh, when is UA out, they've RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'm pretty sure that the Clips wore blue as the road team against the yellow Lakers on opening night. Since then, if the Lakers are at home and not in white or blue, the road team has worn white (I think that's been two instances).

Lakers yellow vs whites looks so, so stupid. It also happened at Phoenix and looked dumb there too.

Nike sucks at the NBA. I have all the evidence I need.

You're right here - Lakers have worn yellow at home three times so far:

Clippers - Blue

Raptors - White

Pistons - White

I think the yellow vs. white is down to team preference in each of those two games though. Both of those teams easily could have worn their colored uniform. Lakers in yellow at Phoenix may not have been avoidable if the League/Nike are really the reason no team has worn their 3rd uniform yet. (Seems a safe bet)

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's why I've posted in pretty much every supplier-change thread that people are dumb for always thinking "thank GODS supplier X is out.  Can't wait for supplier Y" when IT'S ALL THE GODSDAMNED SAME YOU IDIOTS.  When UA gets the contract, it'll be "can't wait for Nike to be out.  All hail UA!" then it'll be "ugh, when is UA out, they've RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!"

This is what we get when it's all controlled by money now.  I'd like nothing more than someone like Champion outfitting the entire league again...or anyone besides the big 3.

29 minutes ago, coachcw_51 said:

You're right here - Lakers have worn yellow at home three times so far:

Clippers - Blue

Raptors - White

Pistons - White

I think the yellow vs. white is down to team preference in each of those two games though. Both of those teams easily could have worn their colored uniform. Lakers in yellow at Phoenix may not have been avoidable if the League/Nike are really the reason no team has worn their 3rd uniform yet. (Seems a safe bet)

The Lakers successfully wore yellow at home against the other team's colored jerseys for like 60 years.

I'm not always a Tradition guy, but I am when the way it was was aesthetically and functionally better. Yellow v white just isn't enough contrast.

38 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Lakers successfully wore yellow at home against the other team's colored jerseys for like 60 years.

I'm not always a Tradition guy, but I am when the way it was was aesthetically and functionally better. Yellow v white just isn't enough contrast.

I don't disagree. I just meant that the decision to wear white in those home games seems to have been with the teams. As far as them wearing yellow on the road, I think we're probably stuck with that until around Thanksgiving, if the home team chooses white.

1 hour ago, coachcw_51 said:

I don't disagree. I just meant that the decision to wear white in those home games seems to have been with the teams. As far as them wearing yellow on the road, I think we're probably stuck with that until around Thanksgiving, if the home team chooses white.

Is there a reason why they've waited to start wearing the Statement jerseys? I looked for an explanation but couldn't find one. Is it to just "establish" the brand now before adding more? I wish they didn't wait, but I see the logic in that too.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived