NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok my three cents on City uniforms:

Nets - Very solid, reference to Brooklyn Bridge looks really good, full wordmarks also is not that bad.

Cavaliers - Ehh, don't know what to say. I'm not feeling this gray, should be gold imo.

Pistons  - I quite like Motor City before adidas add sleeves, so I'm ok with that.

Clippers - I like it, but I hope names will be above numbers not under like in full mockup.

Grizzlies - They giving nod to Brooklyn Nets?

Heat - Miami Vice vibe, oh yeah this is it, but I think with some side stripes it might looks even better.

Bucks - Excellent, except that it should have wordmark since they already have a jersey with logo.

Thunder - Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKeJcgrvqDo

Blazers - My favourite jersey from this mockups, not too busy, giving tribute to Dr. Jack Ramsey, shows respect to their supporters. Love it.

Kings - Similair issue like for Bucks, wordmark might be a better option (full Sacramento script) or eventually this logo: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/24017702017/Sacramento_Kings/2017/Alternate_Logo

Jazz - I understand that colors might have something to do with rocks? Not bad, not good, just average.

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

Ok my three cents on City uniforms:

Nets - Very solid, reference to Brooklyn Bridge looks really good, full wordmarks also is not that bad.

Cavaliers - Ehh, don't know what to say. I'm not feeling this gray, should be gold imo.

Pistons  - I quite like Motor City before adidas add sleeves, so I'm ok with that.

Clippers - I like it, but I hope names will be above numbers not under like in full mockup.

Grizzlies - They giving nod to Brooklyn Nets?

Heat - Miami Vice vibe, oh yeah this is it, but I think with some side stripes it might looks even better.

Bucks - Excellent, except that it should have wordmark since they already have a jersey with logo.

Thunder - Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKeJcgrvqDo

Blazers - My favourite jersey from this mockups, not too busy, giving tribute to Dr. Jack Ramsey, shows respect to their supporters. Love it.

Kings - Similair issue like for Bucks, wordmark might be a better option (full Sacramento script) or eventually this logo: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/24017702017/Sacramento_Kings/2017/Alternate_Logo

Jazz - I understand that colors might have something to do with rocks? Not bad, not good, just average.

Totally agree about the Bucks.

Jaguars

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

As a Pistons fan, I don’t mind Motor City, at least as you say before Adidas made them a hot mess with sleeves and removal of some of the red piping. I just don’t understand how it fits anymore as the Pistons have officially removed navy from their color scheme. I also don’t understand why their management refuses to bring back red alternates, which remain superior to the “Chrome” or Motor City variants that have come after it, especially since they now share an arena with the Red Wings and red is a huge part of their color scheme, certainly more than navy.

19 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

Chicago Bulls were the ONLY team to announce wearing their ICON jersey at home at the big reveal..

However it seems that everybody jumped ship on the idea..except Lakers. SMH. 

I’m expecting pinstripes. 

Jaguars

I like Miami’s and can tolerate the Clippers, Nets and Pistons but the rest are all awful imo. They’re all unique at least but they’re doing nothing for me, it just seems like a bunch of concepts that someone made trying to make creative uniforms that likely wouldn’t be seen in an nba game. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Looking at the Jazz city, it definitely evokes a Moab desert sunset sort of feel. Does it accomplish what it’s going after? Yes. Is it a good idea though? I’m not so sure. I’ll wait till I see the real thing. 

As one who grew up in Southern Utah, I love the idea that Jazz brass is reaching out to the far-flung fans with these Utah Jazztros jerseys. I also love the idea of the Astros-style gradient being used in other sports (with proper restraint, of course). Even if the general public finds them hideous, they'll at least be memorable.

That said, they should've looked to last year's Pride jerseys and kept the Red Rock Desert motif to a stripe on the jersey (with either a green or blue jersey color base), at least in my opinion. The "UTAH" script and numbers needs to be whatever color is contrasting the yellow and Red-Orange (I think the navy blue would add some pop better than black if that's the side colors), and I'd like to see the orange be on the jersey and not just the shorts.

Of course, a better way to reach out to Jazz fans in Southern Utah is to either put the D-, er, G-League Stars down south (probably in St. George) or have said D-, um, G-League team (or themselves) play a preseason game down south.

But we'll have to see how these turn out in real life.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

As one who grew up in Southern Utah, I love the idea that Jazz brass is reaching out to the far-flung fans with these Utah Jaztros jerseys.

Yep, I'm stealing the word Jazztros. Genius portmanteau.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

As one who grew up in Southern Utah, I love the idea that Jazz brass is reaching out to the far-flung fans with these Utah Jaztros jerseys. I also love the idea of the Astros-style gradient being used in other sports (with proper restraint, of course). Even if the general public finds them hideous, they'll at least be memorable.

That said, they should've looked to last year's Pride jerseys and kept the Red Rock Desert motif to a stripe on the jersey (with either a green or blue jersey color base), at least in my opinion. The "UTAH" script and numbers needs to be whatever color is contrasting the yellow and Red-Orange (I think the navy blue would add some pop better than black if that's the side colors), and I'd like to see the orange be on the jersey and not just the shorts.

Of course, a better way to reach out to Jazz fans in Southern Utah is to either put the D-, er, G-League Stars down south (probably in St. George) or have said D-, um, G-League team (or themselves) play a preseason game down south.

But we'll have to see how these turn out in real life.

I love the idea of it being a stripe or side panel against navy or green. I think it’d look really good against green especially. I really wish they would’ve gone that route instead - keeping the desert sunset tribute intact while being tasteful about it.

The problem isn’t in the idea itself - Utah sunsets and the southern deserts are pretty breathtaking - it’s just that I’m not sure this is the best way to execute it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

22 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I love the idea of it being a stripe or side panel against navy or green. I think it’d look really good against green especially. I really wish they would’ve gone that route instead - keeping the desert sunset tribute intact while being tasteful about it.

The problem isn’t in the idea itself - Utah sunsets and the southern deserts are pretty breathtaking - it’s just that I’m not sure this is the best way to execute it.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone who's been to St. George or any other place in Southern Utah where vegetation is prevalent during the warmer months when the leaves are green,* can tell you that the color green is abundant there and provides a beautiful contrast to the deep red-orange rocks of the region:

st-george-city-aerial.jpg.6ad57a0b9c3d86b277e18ef448bd8e30.jpg20bacf3693.thumb.jpeg.03c540c7630f18ef690aac1be818800e.jpeg

Though the colors are about right, save for a bit too much yellow and not enough orange, and should any professional team (definitely minor league or lower) take up home in the region (St. George is the obvious choice here), shades of reds and oranges should almost be a requirement:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.cc9629a116c2f89b3b466b3b91db85ea.jpgstaircase.jpg.cd5cb9b89e9919d300e3579c81fc13ba.jpg

I couldn't mention Southern Utah without throwing in a shoutout to my hometown Kanab (the 3rd one down, though I didn't take it)!! ;)

In fact, I've had the idea to use something like the Astros' rainbow gut uniforms on a couple sport uniform concepts for a fictional St. George-based team or two...if I can find the time for it.

*Though, if you don't like getting scorched, try to avoid St. George in June, where summer is at its hottest and before the mid- to late-summer monsoons some in to cool things down. ;)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I am only a casual observer of the NBA, but the color-on-color matchups are driving me to become a non-observer. The NBA is beginning to look like a neighborhood rec league.

It's really, really stupid. And it feels like the only reason they're doing it is because they can; it doesn't look aesthetically better and in point of fact makes it harder to watch games.

We've already had road teams wearing white against the Lakers wearing yellow at home, which, again, seems to happen for funsies rather than any real aesthetic reason.

The NBA had a long-standing rule of white at home (except the Lakers) and dark on the road and it worked pretty well for like 60 years. Why not just continue with that?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

It's really, really stupid. And it feels like the only reason they're doing it is because they can; it doesn't look aesthetically better and in point of fact makes it harder to watch games.

We've already had road teams wearing white against the Lakers wearing yellow at home, which, again, seems to happen for funsies rather than any real aesthetic reason.

The NBA had a long-standing rule of white at home (except the Lakers) and dark on the road and it worked pretty well for like 60 years. Why not just continue with that?

Money.

They want to sell as many different types of jerseys as they can.

Archived