NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I love the idea of it being a stripe or side panel against navy or green. I think it’d look really good against green especially. I really wish they would’ve gone that route instead - keeping the desert sunset tribute intact while being tasteful about it.

The problem isn’t in the idea itself - Utah sunsets and the southern deserts are pretty breathtaking - it’s just that I’m not sure this is the best way to execute it.

I think that's my thoughts on it. I don't mind the idea and in can be akin to the mountain jerseys but from what Conrad mocked up I think it's too much, especially compared to what the rest of the Jazz branding is.

Using the Jazztros example, it should be more like the left than the right.

astros-tequila-sunrise1.png

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think that's my thoughts on it. I don't mind the idea and in can be akin to the mountain jerseys but from what Conrad mocked up I think it's too much, especially compared to what the rest of the Jazz branding is.

Using the Jazztros example, it should be more like the left than the right.

astros-tequila-sunrise1.png

So you'd want tequila DePaul then?

screen-shot-2014-03-06-at-11-36-49-am.pn

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Like the Bucks' Irish Rainbow unis? They used the Astros' stripe pattern for side panels and warmups from '77 - '93.

Fun fact - Sand Knit's name for that design was "UltraStripe". Ripon Athletic (who I believe bought SK's intellectual property) still produce a version of that uni to this day.

Covered this today in my update over at uni-watch, but it will be very interesting to see if there is a shift in the number of color vs. color games after Thanksgiving. Right now 12% of games have been color vs. color, but literally half of the league has a white jersey and a blue jersey - so none of those teams can go color vs. color at this point. Obviously that's not the cause for EVERY situation where the road team has worn white, but it's certainly been a contributing factor.

Putting aside what seems to be the strong preference for traditional home whites/road darks, are people more receptive to color vs. color than home dark/road white? Just curious!

Some additional stats from my tracking:

The following six teams have worn only white at home:

• Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix, San Antonio (combined 19-10 record in those games)

The following five teams have worn only dark at home:

• Brooklyn, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Sacramento (combined 8-12)

Most consecutive games in one uniform: 8 - Sacramento (purple) & Orlando (blue)

Most color vs. color games: 4 - Boston (4-0), Chicago (1-3), Houston (3-1)

Most frequent color vs. color matchup: red vs. blue (eight games, home team has been in red six of the eight)

Undefeated uniforms (minimum 2 games): 4 - Golden State Classic (2-0), Philadelphia white (2-0), Raptors white (3-0), Jazz white (2-0)

Winless uniforms (minimum 2 games): 2 - Brooklyn white (0-2), Dallas blue (0-6)

Trying to figure out where Memphis is going with their "City" uniforms. Does anyone know?

Are they going for an Elvis/Jailhouse Rock style with the black & white?

Are they referencing civil rights protest signs from the '60s?

memphis.jpg

withers.archiving1.t1larg.jpg

All I can think of. But I don't know Memphis very well, maybe that's the style of a well-known sign around town and I just couldn't find it on the net.

2 hours ago, coachcw_51 said:

Covered this today in my update over at uni-watch, but it will be very interesting to see if there is a shift in the number of color vs. color games after Thanksgiving. Right now 12% of games have been color vs. color, but literally half of the league has a white jersey and a blue jersey - so none of those teams can go color vs. color at this point. Obviously that's not the cause for EVERY situation where the road team has worn white, but it's certainly been a contributing factor.

Putting aside what seems to be the strong preference for traditional home whites/road darks, are people more receptive to color vs. color than home dark/road white? Just curious!

I am anticipating more Color vs. Color games after Thanksgiving. Personally, I like them better -- within reason. I am not a fan of the green (Boston) and blue (Cleveland) match ups, but I love the red (Houston/Chicago/Toronto) and blue/black (Atlanta/Philadelphia/Utah/Detroit) matchups.

I am KINDA getting used to the home dark vs. road white matchups ... but, they're still a bit weird, especially when it's the Lakers wearing white.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

23 minutes ago, eRay said:

Trying to figure out where Memphis is going with their "City" uniforms. Does anyone know?

Are they going for an Elvis/Jailhouse Rock style with the black & white?

Are they referencing civil rights protest signs from the '60s?

memphis.jpg

withers.archiving1.t1larg.jpg

All I can think of. But I don't know Memphis very well, maybe that's the style of a well-known sign around town and I just couldn't find it on the net.

I am sure when it's unveiled we'll get some wonderful Nike-esque explanation. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I honestly have no issues with color v color games. As long as it isn't yellow vs orange or something like that. T'wolves neon green may look bad with a yellow too. But other than that, green v blue, red v blue, red v green I'm all for.

26 minutes ago, cwilz305 said:

For those that dont know, the Miami Heat's font in the "City" uniform also references their first home, the Miami Arena.

Miaarena_logol.png.ca7f128d5f0d1214d5725ae80901c053.png

Nice catch, thanks. Actually, looking at that graphic, the City Edition uniform for the Heat uses that exact wordmark. I saw a very small version of it and had a hard time matching the font for my mockup. Might need to update it by tracing that wordmark.

1 hour ago, cwilz305 said:

For those that dont know, the Miami Heat's font in the "City" uniform also references their first home, the Miami Arena.

Miaarena_logol.png.ca7f128d5f0d1214d5725ae80901c053.png

Oh my god thats right! no wonder it looked familiar! I cant wait for that jersey!

I'd almost love to see an update to the uniform using this font or similar. Something new, idk.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

Yep, I'm stealing the word Jazztros. Genius portmanteau.

More like “Dizzastros” ...I wonder how close the Pantone’s are to the original Tequila Sunrise? 

I get that Utah might be trying to pull off a Red Rock-inspired look but the gradient look might’ve been more unique if it were based on the mountainous look of their 90’s uniforms (sky blue, white, purple). This just feels like an Astros inspired basketball jersey at first glance. 

thumb.jpg

Speaking is “disaster,” that’s what the Cavs brand is right now - a complete :censored:ing disaster.

Not sure what Memphis is thinking either. Is this black & white look a Civil Rights movement based jersey? (last alternate was to honor MLK) 

Miami & Portland win this batch of City uniforms hands down. 

NYCdog.png

32 minutes ago, colortv said:

I read that too. Maybe while they're at it, they can fix the Lakers' yellow and Celtics' green.

If you want to read more bitching about Nike jerseys, NBA Reddit was all over it today.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And Wade also doesn't seeem like a fan

So just talking technical issues and not even how the new template looks, we've got jerseys ripping left and right, the glue sticking the numbers showing through, and jerseys getting soaked by sweat.

17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I read that too. Maybe while they're at it, they can fix the Lakers' yellow and Celtics' green.

If you want to read more bitching about Nike jerseys, NBA Reddit was all over it today.

When even the normal non-uni obsessed fans start noticing problems with jerseys and team color shade changes, you know you've royally :censored:ed up

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived