NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

51 minutes ago, Teal said:

Well clearly you don’t understand what I meant. The rules are in place so you need to respect them. Nike make the rules not you or any other player in here. 

Nike and the NBA make the rules. And, like I said earlier ... there are always exceptions to the rules. Which are fickle at best.

But, I think the point is why couldn't teams that weren't redesigning their logo or jerseys -- like the Lakers -- allowed to wear their purple jerseys (or "secondary" jerseys). It's just stupid, that's all. It's made for some stupid match ups, especially with the Lakers. Thanksgiving can't come soon enough.

But, our bitching won't change that obviously. But, that's why we have message boards, right? ;):lol:

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Teal said:

Well clearly you don’t understand what I meant. The rules are in place so you need to respect them. Nike make the rules not you or any other player in here. 

Clearly.

A marketing strategy does not qualify as a "rule." Not for most of us, anyway. At least I would hope.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've totally lost track of this thread, so please forgive me if this was brought up for some reason. I just want to take a moment to bitch about the Grizzlies not using the split numbers of old. In particular I'm bringing it up because their G-League affiliate, the Hustle have them! 

QwfJxar.jpg

Old Grizzlies numbers

GvkfAWT.jpg

Modern day styled numbers

bqO72yv.jpg

16 hours ago, Teal said:

Pay 1 billion for the NBA contract then you can dictate the rules.

Nike telling the Los Angeles Lakers they can’t wear purple would be like if UnderArmour told the New York Yankees they can’t wear pinstripes until a certain date once they take over the MLB contract. 

It’s moronic. The Lakers are a marquee team, and they shouldn’t have to avoid wearing one of their signature looks just because Nike has a half-baked branding idea they insist on making a reality league-wide.

Miami is wearing their throwbacks tonight at Utah. I see them and can’t help but think how much better the throwback colors are for Miami than the current colors. Red-Orange-Black is both more visually appealing and “hotter” to me than the darker red-gold-black to me. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Miami is wearing their throwbacks tonight at Utah. I see them and can’t help but think how much better the throwback colors are for Miami than the current colors. Red-Orange-Black is both more visually appealing and “hotter” to me than the darker red-gold-black to me. 

I agree with you there. 

Jaguars

Lakers are on the road and the home team (Bucks) are wearing white, so we get to complain. Yellow vs white continues to be the absolute worst.

EDIT: Did the shot clock backboard lights turn yellow this season? Or am I seeing things?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

50 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Lakers are on the road and the home team (Bucks) are wearing white, so we get to complain. Yellow vs white continues to be the absolute worst.

Simpsons-angry-mob-pitchfork-torches.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

54 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

EDIT: Did the shot clock backboard lights turn yellow this season? Or am I seeing things?

Yellow should be considered a home/light jersey, end of story

56 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Yellow should be considered a home/light jersey, end of story

The Lakers can wear it on the road if the other team is wearing a road uniform. That's the way it should be. I've seen them wear yellow on the road against the Suns who wore Orange at home and I was totally fine with it and that was back in like 2006. Yellow vs White doesn't work for the Lakers, it may work for other teams like the Pacers and Nuggets but not the Lakers.

bSLCtu2.png

53 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

The Lakers can wear it on the road if the other team is wearing a road uniform. That's the way it should be. I've seen them wear yellow on the road against the Suns who wore Orange at home and I was totally fine with it and that was back in like 2006. Yellow vs White doesn't work for the Lakers, it may work for other teams like the Pacers and Nuggets but not the Lakers.

Disagree that yellow vs white works for anyone.

Here's a dilemma, I think yellow is home and orange is away but I'm not sure on yellow vs orange?  I guess if it was good enough for Cavs at Lakers in 1986 it's cool. I really prefer Cavs/Warriors/Pacers/Lakers in home yellow instead of white.

22 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

6eNO2wA.jpg

Gotta disagree with ya there. I remember this being decidedly not fine. Maybe not as bad as that college game I saw between Wisconsin and Illinois where they went red vs. orange, but still very bad. 

1 hour ago, mafiaman said:

So, let me get this straight:  Each team has four jerseys, The Icon, the Association, The Leaders, and The Legends.  Right?  

Ridiculous.  How about "home," "away," and "alternate" and call it a day.  

it's all about $$$

1 hour ago, mafiaman said:

So, let me get this straight:  Each team has four jerseys, The Icon, the Association, The Leaders, and The Legends.  Right?  

Ridiculous.  How about "home," "away," and "alternate" and call it a day.  

Technically they are the Icon, Statement, Association, and Community jerseys.

I believe they also mentioned some teams will get classic/throwback jerseys this season to wear a few times.

In full agreement on just having the home, away, and alternate with throwbacks/unique jerseys reserved for special occasions.

13 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

6eNO2wA.jpg

Gotta disagree with ya there. I remember this being decidedly not fine. Maybe not as bad as that college game I saw between Wisconsin and Illinois where they went red vs. orange, but still very bad. 

I think the Hawks-Knicks 'Red vs. Orange' was a worse. At least the Suns-Lakers 'Orange vs. Gold' was less offensive. Doesn't mean I liked it, but it wasn't as hard to follow compared to the Knicks-Hawks game.

knicks-hawks.jpg

kimball banner.png

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Miami have not worn their "regular" black set since introducing the throwbacks. They've played 7 games since they first wore the throwbacks on 11/1. They've worn them five times and the white set twice.

Some additional observations from my tracking:

If you're looking for traditional uni-matchups, your best bet is to watch a game early in the work week. Teams have gone traditional 75% of games on Monday (15 total), 73% on Tuesday (16) and 71% on Wednesday (27). Avoid Friday, only 43% of games (16) have had the home team in white and road in dark.

The Celtics (5-0), Bulls (1-4), and Rockets (4-1) have all played five color vs. color games so far.

The Cavs, Nuggets, Warriors, Bucks, Timberwolves, Knicks, Suns, Trailblazers, and Kings have not played any color vs. color games.

There are only three uniforms that are undefeated: Lakers throwback (1-0) 76ers white (2-0) and Kings white (2-0).

28 minutes ago, coachcw_51 said:

Some additional observations from my tracking:

If you're looking for traditional uni-matchups, your best bet is to watch a game early in the work week. Teams have gone traditional 75% of games on Monday (15 total), 73% on Tuesday (16) and 71% on Wednesday (27). Avoid Friday, only 43% of games (16) have had the home team in white and road in dark.

The Celtics (5-0), Bulls (1-4), and Rockets (4-1) have all played five color vs. color games so far.

The Cavs, Nuggets, Warriors, Bucks, Timberwolves, Knicks, Suns, Trailblazers, and Kings have not played any color vs. color games.

There are only three uniforms that are undefeated: Lakers throwback (1-0) 76ers white (2-0) and Kings white (2-0).

Great observations. It also seems like nationally televised games go for the non-traditional color match ups from what I've seen.

Thanks for keeping these stats.Great work.

kimball banner.png

Archived