NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

15 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Honestly with all these jerseys and all the ad's I think its time we say there is just 3 professional sports leagues in america.

The NBA is more like a minor league at this point.

Yeah...no.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Celtics doing ANY market research? If they had, there's no way they'd come to the conclusion that fans want grey over St. Paddy's day jersey. I don't understand why if teams get a fifth classic jersey why we can't have a special fifth holiday jersey. Such bull :censored:.

As for other teams, the Dubs one is easily the best of the bunch, hope it is worn regularly and not just for Chinese New Year. Dubs have badly need a yellow jersey for years. Really like the Raps jersey too and the Bulls and Lakers are great. NOLA's looks fun, hope it's the multi colored one from year's past.

Re: the Wizards' marble side panels:  I get it. The owner likes pushing the monuments as part of the city's brand.  His holding company for the Wizards and Caps is called Monumental Sports Group.  And, I suppose, when tourists think of DC, they think of the various world-famous monuments and memorials around the city.  But I would've preferred something that resonates more with the locals. 

2 minutes ago, keynote said:

Re: the Wizards' marble side panels:  I get it. The owner likes pushing the monuments as part of the city's brand.  His holding company for the Wizards and Caps is called Monumental Sports Group.  And, I suppose, when tourists think of DC, they think of the various world-famous monuments and memorials around the city.  But I would've preferred something that resonates more with the locals. 

That's the only thing I can really think of.  I would say a Bullets idea but they kind of have that with the home and road jerseys already.  I would have prefered to see the Baltimore Bullets fauxback come back, personally.  Would have made more sense too seeing as this season is the 40th anniversary of the franchise winning their only NBA Championship.

"Cringe" is the first word that comes to mind for that Lakers uniform. I genuinely don't understand the continued fixation with Kobe over Kareem, or Wilt, or Magic, or Shaq. The media hype over Lonzo playing Black Mamba Dress-Up is already nauseating and it hasn't even started yet.

I also don't get the space pattern on the Magic uniform. I know the Kennedy Space Center is just an hour away from Orlando, but nothing about the Magic's identity is space-themed. That pattern would make a lot more sense for the Rockets.

I do like the Bulls', Wizards' and Pelicans' alternates, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Froob said:

Are the Celtics doing ANY market research?

I think this is the single most frustrating aspect for me regarding Nike's initial sets of NBA uniforms -- many designs as well as the concepts behind them feel tone deaf. Obviously, the creative process shouldn't be purely democratic nor crowd-sourced to the fans....but from a business perspective, it could only benefit both Nike and the respective teams to be a bit more in touch with consumers. Whether it's the Timberwolves' re-designed Icon and Association Editions neglecting green, the Knicks' and Nuggets' Statement and City Editions looking very similar to their respective Association and Icon Editions, or the mediocre colors and/or patterns for the Cavaliers', Celtics', Lakers', and Thunder's City Editions, a fair amount of what we've seen so far feels out of touch. 

That being said, there are still some very nice looking sets and individual uniforms out there. More than anything, I wish both the creativity and execution were more consistent.

43 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

"Cringe" is the first word that comes to mind for that Lakers uniform. I genuinely don't understand the continued fixation with Kobe over Kareem, or Wilt, or Magic, or Shaq. The media hype over Lonzo playing Black Mamba Dress-Up is already nauseating and it hasn't even started yet.

That sounds like a you problem. But FWIW, I agree, but I think the mamba pattern is more a Nike thing than a Lakers one; there are still Kobe shoes to sell.

Also, I love the galaxy/space pattern on Orlando's jerseys, however it comes out.

I think we spent some time on this board pining for the over-the-top days of the mid-90s after a decade of navy blue. Well, here we are!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So....I purchased an authentic Wizards jersey on Oct.23. NBA Store withdrew their money from my account. I’m still waiting on it and have filed multiple complaints about shipping and date of shipping. Now I’ve gone on NBA Store and checked all 30 NBA Teams Store fronts and only Cleveland, Golden State, Houston, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, and San Antonio have Authentic jerseys available. I’m wondering if the NBA is pulling all the Authentic jerseys from the store. Let me know what you guys think about this. 

Atlanta: Not much to say except I really like it if this is it. I just hope that the shorts aren't crazy and that the base color is black and not that dark grey/slate color they use.

Boston: Meh. Seen it already with sleeves from adidas. Don't care for the Celtics in grey and there's enough parquet on the floor during home games. Would've been a good time to do a green and gold themed set.

Chicago: May be the best of the bunch. Great tie-in with the colors and the flag inspiration. This is the standard for a "City Edition" jersey. I'd want to have the numerals and script to have the striping pattern like on the collar and cuffs so that the red and blue don't bleed into each other.

Denver: Huge disappointment. Should've been light blue and in another direction, not a mix of your current road jersey plus last year's sleeved jersey. What a bore.

Golden State: Glad to see a yellow jersey for them in their current template. I would replace the cyan-blue color with white, and as others have stated, the team name in Chinese characters would've been better.

L.A. Lakers: To be straight to the point, I don't have any love for this. It'd be cool if it were a custom fashion jersey and that's it. I still want the black uniform Kobe had on in that photo shoot; that would be best.

New Orleans: It's a re-do of their previous Mardi Gras set, and I like this one better. I also rather this be the Pelicans color scheme full-time, FWIW.

Orlando: I don't know how to feel about it; part of me wants to like it, while another part wants to not. Really bugs me that it uses the logo and wordmark instead of just the wordmark.

Toronto: I respect the creativity, but I feel there were better concepts on the board that were told no in favor of this one.

San Antonio: Another I don't love. Just a mix of their Military set and alternate. I know the Spurs are class over flash, but you have to come up with something better than this.

Washington: It's interesting, to say the least. I like that they went with something different with the wordmark; I'm not sure I'm sold on the marble pattern on the sides. I wonder if I'll like this better than last year's alternate.

Should be a pretty interesting week this week uni-wise, especially after Thursday. Up to this point we've seen color v. color 11% of the time. By my count 18 teams now have enough contrast between their Association and Statement uniforms that they could conceivable go color v color against any opponent. And that number will go up even more with some of the City uniforms that have been teased already.

Some observations from last week:

• Miami and Washington wore the same uniforms against each other on both Wednesday (@ Miami) and Friday (@ Washington) - Heat in throwbacks, Wizards in red
  • Miami still has not worn their Association uniform since debuting their Classic design
  • Miami has worn their Classic uniform in 7 straight games, the longest current streak in one uniform
  • Toronto has played two home games against the Wizards, and worn red in both of those games
  • Boston has played the most color v. color games (7) and is undefeated in those games
  • Brooklyn, Chicago, and Houston have worn only their Association uniforms at home 
  • Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix have worn only their Icon uniforms at home
  • 48% of games (115/240) have featured one team in white and one team in blue.
    • The home team has been in white for 68% of those games

32 minutes ago, coachcw_51 said:

Should be a pretty interesting week this week uni-wise, especially after Thursday. Up to this point we've seen color v. color 11% of the time. By my count 18 teams now have enough contrast between their Association and Statement uniforms that they could conceivable go color v color against any opponent. And that number will go up even more with some of the City uniforms that have been teased already.

Some observations from last week:

• Miami and Washington wore the same uniforms against each other on both Wednesday (@ Miami) and Friday (@ Washington) - Heat in throwbacks, Wizards in red
  • Miami still has not worn their Association uniform since debuting their Classic design
  • Miami has worn their Classic uniform in 7 straight games, the longest current streak in one uniform
  • Toronto has played two home games against the Wizards, and worn red in both of those games
  • Boston has played the most color v. color games (7) and is undefeated in those games
  • Brooklyn, Chicago, and Houston have worn only their Association uniforms at home 
  • Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix have worn only their Icon uniforms at home
  • 48% of games (115/240) have featured one team in white and one team in blue.
    • The home team has been in white for 68% of those games

You have these flipped. The Association uniforms are the whites, and the Icon uniforms are the primary colored sets. Also, Phoenix wore their Classic edition at home for the season opener against Portland, so technically they’ve worn their Association uniforms in all but one of their home games thus far.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Something that’s bothering me a little is that some of these City uniforms seem to have little to nothing do with their respective cities/regions. The Lakers have more to do with Kobe than LA itself. Is camo really the best they could think up for San Antonio when the door is wide open for a fiesta nod? Is outer space really the best they could think up for Orlando? What’s so “Denver” about Denver’s? What’s so “Boston” about the color grey? And so on.

Granted, some teams took good advantage of “City” like Chicago and Miami. But most of these just seem like an excuse for an extra, mostly worthless, no rhyme-or-reason alternate. They’d have been better off if they gave each team a classic set as the league-wide fourth sets instead, OR called the “City” sets something else.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

You have these flipped. The Association uniforms are the whites, and the Icon uniforms are the primary colored sets. Also, Phoenix wore their Classic edition at home for the season opener against Portland, so technically they’ve worn their Association uniforms in all but one of their home games thus far.

Thanks for the correction. I've been trying to avoid using those terms for that exact reason. And yes, Phoenix has worn their classic edition twice at home - so I should have said they've only worn white at home (which was really what I was going for and should have said anyway).

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

CM Punk introduced Chicago flag branding into sports entertainment, right? 

He definitely had something to do with it, but the Chicago flag had been picking up steam for a few years now. It seems to be the favorite tattoo of lifelong Chicagoans from Hanover Park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Something that’s bothering me a little is that some of these City uniforms seem to have little to nothing do with their respective cities/regions. The Lakers have more to do with Kobe than LA itself. Is camo really the best they could think up for San Antonio when the door is wide open for a fiesta nod? Is outer space really the best they could think up for Orlando? What’s so “Denver” about Denver’s? What’s so “Boston” about the color grey? And so on.

Granted, some teams took good advantage of “City” like Chicago and Miami. But most of these just seem like an excuse for an extra, mostly worthless, no rhyme-or-reason alternate. They’d have been better off if they gave each team a classic set as the league-wide fourth sets instead, OR called the “City” sets something else.

San Antonio is a huge military town (their camo seems to be more than "Hey we like troops too!") so in a way, the camo does tie-in to the city.  I do wish they'd brought back the fiesta colors on this.  Maybe next year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived