NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, this comes from Steve Starks, Utah Jazz president:

Again, it's a response to a pseudo-snarky post from a Jazz blogger/fan who colored the navy giveaway shirts to tomorrow's game purple, but it also hints that the Jazz are at aware of (some) fans' wish for Utah to wear purple. I doubt anything happens next year, but further out, it's a possibility. It's probably an unpopular opinion, but this is just the right balance with the Jazz: remaining Blue/Green/Yellow but having a PFPS alternate/throwback* to tie over the part of the fanbase wanting purple back.

My reasoning is probably color/identity fatigue, but I think Utah looks good in Blue/Green/Yellow. Granted, I'd prefer them to emphasize green regardless of whether they stick with navy or return to purple, but a darker purple in place of navy in their current color scheme may work. Of course, I'd like to see them lighten the blue and green (especially the green) a shade or two. If they were to return to purple full-time, I'd have them emphasize Purple/White/Green/Yellow (in that order with a green/yellow alternate) though. I might have to whip up a concept and sent it Mr. Starks' way. B)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Hoping the new Pacers uniforms includes some reference to racing in Indiana, or the old Flo Jo's from the 90s. Just glad the current early 2000s Reebok garbage is going bye bye.

4 minutes ago, The AFC South said:

Hoping the new Pacers uniforms includes some reference to racing in Indiana, or the old Flo Jo's from the 90s. Just glad the current early 2000s Reebok garbage is going bye bye.

Yea, would be good to see some racing stripes or maybe some checkerboard motif worked into the designs.

14 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Yea, would be good to see some racing stripes or maybe some checkerboard motif worked into the designs.

Something like the Anthony Davis era Kentucky Uniforms would be cool

ky-10-12-whitehome-bobdonnan-3-620x864.0

Glad the era of these Pacers jerseys are over. Mismatching, super wide panels and that wishbone collar. Never liked them much and I thought it was a downgrade from the previous set. I wonder if we'll ever see Paul George in the new jerseys...

as for the Suns, I wonder what's ahead. Their rebrand wasn't long ago at all... If they just got rid of the butt stripe on the shorts and eliminated what's left of black in the scheme,  they would be alright imo. 

mcgrady_220_success.jpg

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19307919/uni-watch-flashback-last-wear-coveted-c

Interesting article by Paul Lukas on teams that used to have the "C" for captains on their uniforms. I kinda thought it was cool and unique. NFL has stars on their uniforms to reflect their status on their teams.

peytonmanning.jpg

Should NBA go back to captain "C"s,do something similar to NFL, or keep the uniform simple and uncluttered?

shado_logo.gif

30 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

mcgrady_220_success.jpg

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19307919/uni-watch-flashback-last-wear-coveted-c

Interesting article by Paul Lukas on teams that used to have the "C" for captains on their uniforms. I kinda thought it was cool and unique. NFL has stars on their uniforms to reflect their status on their teams.

peytonmanning.jpg

Should NBA go back to captain "C"s,do something similar to NFL, or keep the uniform simple and uncluttered?

With the ad patches coming in, as well as the Nike logo on the chest, I'd say it's best for NBA teams to refrain from going back to that. Plus I'd say there's a good chance the Nike NBA jerseys will have slimmer shoulders (though I don't expect them to be quite as thin as the most recent college and international jerseys), so space will already be pretty limited there. And there's always the possibility of memorial patches, anniversary patches, etc. Do we really want to see this in the NBA?

IMG_3910.JPG.32aae9ae237839cc02fe9784e863bf37.JPG

Or even if the shoulders end up being a bit thicker, it can still get pretty cluttered.

IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.23723e7e33f1143e5abc8fc64e7b5f4a.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

44 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Thank goodness the Clippers are changing next year I don't think I can stand to see their garbage uniforms and their cheap, generic microsoft logo anymore

Unfortunately, the garbage logos aren't changing for the Clips. They're just basically changing the template of the uniforms that those god-awful wordmarks will go on. Sorry to disappoint. :(

So I was just checking out the NBA store online and came across something interesting. Some hats are described as "current logo" while some hats with the secondary logos don't. I believe we will be seeing a lot of teams changing logos this postseason. Btw, I spotted this on the Washington Wizards section. 

They won't make major changes. They've updated the pinwheel logo a few times whilst still keeping it recognizable, and it's such an iconic logo in the NBA that they wouldn't face the wrath of their fans by doing anything too drastic. They'll just modernize it whilst introducing a few secondaries that are more "different".

22 minutes ago, San Diego said:

Blazers changing is a mistake. 

Their current set has been around for 15 years with only a few minor changes along the way. I'd say it's definitely the right time for a refresh, especially considering the current trajectory of the franchise (two legitimate stars, youngest active roster in the league, a budding 22 year old center, and three first round picks to use as trade bait or to draft young talent). While their current set is still one of the nicer ones in the league IMO, it's been mainly associated with dark times and dissapointment. There was the Jail Blazers era, and then there was the promise of the three headed monster of Oden, Aldridge, and Roy and its subsequent destruction due to injuries. Then there was Aldridge turning into a perennial all-star, the hiring of Coach Stotts, the drafting of Lillard, and the best starting five in a decade. Yet that still ended in disappointment with injuries, playoff exits, and Aldridge's departure. Now it's the promising rebuild around Lillard and McCollum, and the time seems right to make a change. Their current set has become tired and stale and it seems stuck in the mid-2000's with elements like the needless silver accents, serifed italic fonts, awkward mix of outlining and shadowing, and the stupid black parallelogram in the primary logo. All signs are pointing to some small tweaks and modernizations/simplifications with their new logos and uniforms, and that's exactly what they need. They have so many good elements to draw upon and they're very in touch with the desires of the fan base. There's no question in my mind that the updated logos, uniforms, etc. will be just as recognizable as any in their history.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived