Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

43 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

"Cringe" is the first word that comes to mind for that Lakers uniform. I genuinely don't understand the continued fixation with Kobe over Kareem, or Wilt, or Magic, or Shaq. The media hype over Lonzo playing Black Mamba Dress-Up is already nauseating and it hasn't even started yet.

That sounds like a you problem. But FWIW, I agree, but I think the mamba pattern is more a Nike thing than a Lakers one; there are still Kobe shoes to sell.

Also, I love the galaxy/space pattern on Orlando's jerseys, however it comes out.

I think we spent some time on this board pining for the over-the-top days of the mid-90s after a decade of navy blue. Well, here we are!

So....I purchased an authentic Wizards jersey on Oct.23. NBA Store withdrew their money from my account. I’m still waiting on it and have filed multiple complaints about shipping and date of shipping. Now I’ve gone on NBA Store and checked all 30 NBA Teams Store fronts and only Cleveland, Golden State, Houston, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, and San Antonio have Authentic jerseys available. I’m wondering if the NBA is pulling all the Authentic jerseys from the store. Let me know what you guys think about this. 

Atlanta: Not much to say except I really like it if this is it. I just hope that the shorts aren't crazy and that the base color is black and not that dark grey/slate color they use.

Boston: Meh. Seen it already with sleeves from adidas. Don't care for the Celtics in grey and there's enough parquet on the floor during home games. Would've been a good time to do a green and gold themed set.

Chicago: May be the best of the bunch. Great tie-in with the colors and the flag inspiration. This is the standard for a "City Edition" jersey. I'd want to have the numerals and script to have the striping pattern like on the collar and cuffs so that the red and blue don't bleed into each other.

Denver: Huge disappointment. Should've been light blue and in another direction, not a mix of your current road jersey plus last year's sleeved jersey. What a bore.

Golden State: Glad to see a yellow jersey for them in their current template. I would replace the cyan-blue color with white, and as others have stated, the team name in Chinese characters would've been better.

L.A. Lakers: To be straight to the point, I don't have any love for this. It'd be cool if it were a custom fashion jersey and that's it. I still want the black uniform Kobe had on in that photo shoot; that would be best.

New Orleans: It's a re-do of their previous Mardi Gras set, and I like this one better. I also rather this be the Pelicans color scheme full-time, FWIW.

Orlando: I don't know how to feel about it; part of me wants to like it, while another part wants to not. Really bugs me that it uses the logo and wordmark instead of just the wordmark.

Toronto: I respect the creativity, but I feel there were better concepts on the board that were told no in favor of this one.

San Antonio: Another I don't love. Just a mix of their Military set and alternate. I know the Spurs are class over flash, but you have to come up with something better than this.

Washington: It's interesting, to say the least. I like that they went with something different with the wordmark; I'm not sure I'm sold on the marble pattern on the sides. I wonder if I'll like this better than last year's alternate.

Should be a pretty interesting week this week uni-wise, especially after Thursday. Up to this point we've seen color v. color 11% of the time. By my count 18 teams now have enough contrast between their Association and Statement uniforms that they could conceivable go color v color against any opponent. And that number will go up even more with some of the City uniforms that have been teased already.

Some observations from last week:

• Miami and Washington wore the same uniforms against each other on both Wednesday (@ Miami) and Friday (@ Washington) - Heat in throwbacks, Wizards in red
  • Miami still has not worn their Association uniform since debuting their Classic design
  • Miami has worn their Classic uniform in 7 straight games, the longest current streak in one uniform
  • Toronto has played two home games against the Wizards, and worn red in both of those games
  • Boston has played the most color v. color games (7) and is undefeated in those games
  • Brooklyn, Chicago, and Houston have worn only their Association uniforms at home 
  • Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix have worn only their Icon uniforms at home
  • 48% of games (115/240) have featured one team in white and one team in blue.
    • The home team has been in white for 68% of those games

32 minutes ago, coachcw_51 said:

Should be a pretty interesting week this week uni-wise, especially after Thursday. Up to this point we've seen color v. color 11% of the time. By my count 18 teams now have enough contrast between their Association and Statement uniforms that they could conceivable go color v color against any opponent. And that number will go up even more with some of the City uniforms that have been teased already.

Some observations from last week:

• Miami and Washington wore the same uniforms against each other on both Wednesday (@ Miami) and Friday (@ Washington) - Heat in throwbacks, Wizards in red
  • Miami still has not worn their Association uniform since debuting their Classic design
  • Miami has worn their Classic uniform in 7 straight games, the longest current streak in one uniform
  • Toronto has played two home games against the Wizards, and worn red in both of those games
  • Boston has played the most color v. color games (7) and is undefeated in those games
  • Brooklyn, Chicago, and Houston have worn only their Association uniforms at home 
  • Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix have worn only their Icon uniforms at home
  • 48% of games (115/240) have featured one team in white and one team in blue.
    • The home team has been in white for 68% of those games

You have these flipped. The Association uniforms are the whites, and the Icon uniforms are the primary colored sets. Also, Phoenix wore their Classic edition at home for the season opener against Portland, so technically they’ve worn their Association uniforms in all but one of their home games thus far.

Something that’s bothering me a little is that some of these City uniforms seem to have little to nothing do with their respective cities/regions. The Lakers have more to do with Kobe than LA itself. Is camo really the best they could think up for San Antonio when the door is wide open for a fiesta nod? Is outer space really the best they could think up for Orlando? What’s so “Denver” about Denver’s? What’s so “Boston” about the color grey? And so on.

Granted, some teams took good advantage of “City” like Chicago and Miami. But most of these just seem like an excuse for an extra, mostly worthless, no rhyme-or-reason alternate. They’d have been better off if they gave each team a classic set as the league-wide fourth sets instead, OR called the “City” sets something else.

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

You have these flipped. The Association uniforms are the whites, and the Icon uniforms are the primary colored sets. Also, Phoenix wore their Classic edition at home for the season opener against Portland, so technically they’ve worn their Association uniforms in all but one of their home games thus far.

Thanks for the correction. I've been trying to avoid using those terms for that exact reason. And yes, Phoenix has worn their classic edition twice at home - so I should have said they've only worn white at home (which was really what I was going for and should have said anyway).

15 hours ago, DG_Now said:

CM Punk introduced Chicago flag branding into sports entertainment, right? 

He definitely had something to do with it, but the Chicago flag had been picking up steam for a few years now. It seems to be the favorite tattoo of lifelong Chicagoans from Hanover Park.

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Something that’s bothering me a little is that some of these City uniforms seem to have little to nothing do with their respective cities/regions. The Lakers have more to do with Kobe than LA itself. Is camo really the best they could think up for San Antonio when the door is wide open for a fiesta nod? Is outer space really the best they could think up for Orlando? What’s so “Denver” about Denver’s? What’s so “Boston” about the color grey? And so on.

Granted, some teams took good advantage of “City” like Chicago and Miami. But most of these just seem like an excuse for an extra, mostly worthless, no rhyme-or-reason alternate. They’d have been better off if they gave each team a classic set as the league-wide fourth sets instead, OR called the “City” sets something else.

San Antonio is a huge military town (their camo seems to be more than "Hey we like troops too!") so in a way, the camo does tie-in to the city.  I do wish they'd brought back the fiesta colors on this.  Maybe next year.

4 hours ago, labc93 said:

So....I purchased an authentic Wizards jersey on Oct.23. NBA Store withdrew their money from my account. I’m still waiting on it and have filed multiple complaints about shipping and date of shipping. Now I’ve gone on NBA Store and checked all 30 NBA Teams Store fronts and only Cleveland, Golden State, Houston, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, and San Antonio have Authentic jerseys available. I’m wondering if the NBA is pulling all the Authentic jerseys from the store. Let me know what you guys think about this. 

Call them.  May have been an extremely limited first-run supply, as the vast majority of basketball jersey purchases are non-authentic..

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

He definitely had something to do with it, but the Chicago flag had been picking up steam for a few years now. It seems to be the favorite tattoo of lifelong Chicagoans from Hanover Park.

I'm deceased. The Admiral has killed me.

10 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Yes.  Yes they are.

As a Nuggets fan who grew up with the powder blue and really loved it I think they would be far more stupid to put out a 4th uniform that is powder blue. When you rebrand and make your primary color a pretty distant fourth color you can't use it for an entire uniform. Honestly, their biggest mistake has been keeping powder blue as an outline and a large part of the logo. It should've been completely wiped out if they wanted to rebrand.

I'm also not entirely sure this will be exactly what the Nuggets jersey will look like. Conrad obviously know far more than I do but I can't help but remember that Nuggets logo that included red that was leaked by Nike Store. Why would that logo even exist if it weren't going to be used in any capacity. I was really expecting this fourth uniform to include red in a way that either nods back to the 90's look or to the Colorado flag. That would explain the lack of powder blue and it could be included in a way that it is accounted for by some of Conrad's uncertainty.

So, the predicted Magic space design is, you could say, far out — but is this really the team’s jersey?

“It’s not all together accurate,” a league source told the Orlando Sentinel.

But some sort of star pattern is expected when the “City” Magic jersey is officially unveiled sometime early next year.

tenor.gif

Thanks @Conrad. for another good article.

2) Crying tears of joy for my BULLS!!

CHI_city2.png

Finally incorporating the Chicago flag!! It looks soooooo beautiful. Can't wait for a road red, light blue and black version to complete the set! 

4 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

So, the predicted Magic space design is, you could say, far out — but is this really the team’s jersey?

“It’s not all together accurate,” a league source told the Orlando Sentinel.

But some sort of star pattern is expected when the “City” Magic jersey is officially unveiled sometime early next year.

Sometime early next year? Gosh I hope not!

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The first instance I can recall of the flag getting some serious sportsbrand on it was the Fire doing a one-off light blue jersey with the four stars across the front. That was back in the Soldier Field days, so maybe 2005? The fanbase went nuts over it and wanted a version of it back every time the team had a uniform change. I imagine moving out to Bridgeview may have complicated that, but the Fire have added some star elements here and there. (We will never speak of the black 3rd jersey that made the MLS logo the 5th star on the flag.)

The Red Stars did it best, though, at least for a couple seasons.

men-s-chicago-red-stars-2014-jersey-lt-b