NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

Teams shouldn't change their colors. Logos and uniforms can evolve through the years, you can even tweak shades a little bit, but your colors in terms of the most basic words you'd use to describe them should stay the same. Otherwise, you end up like the Padres, Astros, and Canucks, and even the Astros and Canucks have gone back to the colors they were established in. The Nets could go with royal blue, navy blue, or that weird pseudo-tie-dye blue they used for a couple years in the early '90s, but overused as they may be in sports, they should have stuck with red, white, and blue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Teams shouldn't change their colors. Logos and uniforms can evolve through the years, you can even tweak shades a little bit, but your colors in terms of the most basic words you'd use to describe them should stay the same. Otherwise, you end up like the Padres, Astros, and Canucks, and even the Astros and Canucks have gone back to the colors they were established in. The Nets could go with royal blue, navy blue, or that weird pseudo-tie-dye blue they used for a couple years in the early '90s, but overused as they may be in sports, they should have stuck with red, white, and blue.

Ah, yes, and look like Washington, Philadelphia, and/or Detroit, three of the seven geographically closest teams.

^_^

How do you cape for everything I hate?

It’s a gift.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The Nets...should have stuck with red, white, and blue.

Ah, yes, and look like Washington, Philadelphia, and/or Detroit, three of the seven geographically closest teams.

A creative design overcomes similar colours.  The Kidd-era Nets set is never going to be confused for Detroit or Washington or Philadelphia or anything else.  It is uniquely Nets.

Related image

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Fair enough, but I don’t think the red and blue or the stars and stripes would have mitigated the managerial mistakes that led to the current lackluster team. Both of those are “me too” identities, while the current one is signature to them. Success is worth a lot, and they simply lost all the chips they pushed in to achieve it. You said it yourself; The hope of KP alone has reinvigorated the Knicks, while the Nets are bereft of anything resembling hope at the moment.

The current identity is "me too" as well - it's blatantly derivative of the Spurs and (color scheme aside) the Celtics. It also debuted at a time when the aesthetic fad of the moment was adopting very safe, conservative, "classic" looks. The Cavs, Jazz, Wizards and Knicks all switched to retro-inspired uniforms at around the same time the Nets did.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Those teams went back to their own histories while the Nets threw their history in the garbage. Even worse, the dear old Islanders not only had to move into the Jellybean Omni, they had to play Brooklyn Nets dressup. Finally, a hockey team for middle-aged dudes in Nassau County was Jay-Z approved!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A creative design overcomes similar colours.  The Kidd-era Nets set is never going to be confused for Detroit or Washington or Philadelphia or anything else.  It is uniquely Nets.

Related image

Yep, well put. I think the argument that multiple teams can’t have similar color schemes doesn’t give good design enough credit. As you stated, no one would confuse the Nets for the 76ers, Pistons, etc. The Kidd set had a look of its own. 

Its the same for the argument against multiple purple teams back in the day; the Raptors never looked like the Suns, the Suns never looked like the Bucks, and the Bucks never looked like the Lakers, and so on. They each had designs that set them enough apart, so multiple purple teams was never really that much of a problem. I feel it to be the same for RWB teams, not just in basketball but for the most part across sports. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Related image

Yeah it looks fine but I haven't seen anyone wearing a piece of merch referencing this era since 2003.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Didn't see a separate topic for NBDL/G-League, but the Delaware 87ers are being rebranded next season when their new arena opens

link

The 76ers NBA G League affiliate team – which will be rebranded next year, pending league approval – will play its home games at 76ers Fieldhouse, configured to host approximately 2,500 fans per game.

19 minutes ago, colortv said:

The best the Sonics ever looked imo:

Gary-Payton-calls-him-and-Shawn-Kemp-the

Normal-size that wordmark (and maybe use a regular arc) and that set would be phenomenal.  The fact that you can't see the first S on either of those jerseys is weird.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:56 AM, upperV03 said:

The Spurs debuted their Statement uniforms last night:

DPsOACOWAAAhzhY?format=jpg

That spur has taken a big downsizing.  Which makes it only slightly more palatable...

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

9 hours ago, colortv said:

Irritating how after all these years the Magic's original set is still far and away their best:

15256c_lg.jpeg

1460659532986.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

NBA-240_05.jpg

920x920.jpg

s435214573511300858_p2101_i1_w750.jpeg

I was thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. I can see where the current set tried to pay homage to it, but it just falls short to me. It’s not as well executed or, for lack of a better term, not as “magical”. The originals as-is would be a top 5 set today.

P.S: That Lakers/Magic matchup is a thing of beauty. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

8 hours ago, Digby said:

Yeah it looks fine but I haven't seen anyone wearing a piece of merch referencing this era since 2003.

That's a good point. Even when the Nets had their golden years, you never saw their merchandise anywhere. Partly it's because the NBA was in a nadir period then, but, my personal opinion is that those Nets uniforms and logo were pretty dorky.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived