NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a picture floating around earlier of a Sixers t-shirt jersey by Nike that presumably aligned with their upcoming City Edition jerseys. I accidentally deleted the screenshot I took and can't relocate the original, but it was off-white, had a solid blue 'Phila' script, and contained centered numerals that were blue with the red drop shadow. There was nothing involving trim since it was a t-shirt jersey, but given the three uniforms we've seen so far it may be consistent across the board. Here's a mock-up of what that would look like:

Philadelphia 76ers City Edition Jersey Mock-Up

Dl96CSY.jpg

22 hours ago, Digby said:
On 28/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A creative design overcomes similar colours.  The Kidd-era Nets set is never going to be confused for Detroit or Washington or Philadelphia or anything else.  It is uniquely Nets.

Related image

Yeah it looks fine but I haven't seen anyone wearing a piece of merch referencing this era since 2003.

w2l25qa.png

I have enough Nets apparel to make up for a whole lot of people. I have jerseys, warmups, and mostly hats. My favourite hat is this one:

qwSOtdq.png

I love how it shows the signature net pattern that made those uniforms so great.

And just recently I picked up this beautiful hat with the logo of the 2002 Finals on it:

sX5PP0m.png

And it’s not exactly just me. I was pleasantly surprised about a month ago when I walked into my local tailor's shop and saw the owner wearing a shirt with the same logo as on my sweatshirt.

Still, I will admit that it's true that few people are rocking New Jersey Nets gear these days. But that is to be expected, since the team dropped that style five years ago. The important point is that people aren't wearing the current stuff, either. Clothing with the current logo was all over the place in the year or two after the new look was introduced. But now there aren't very many people wearing it.

This is partly due to the team being in a down phase. But, I contend that the aesthetic shortcomings of the look are a huge part of the reason for its precipitous drop in popularity. The Knicks have missed the playoffs in 10 of the last 13 seasons; yet their gear is seen everywhere.

Soon after the Nets' move, the Knicks mounted an ad campaign that consisted of a series of pairs of photos, each pair showing a current player alongside a player from the team's history. The Knicks met the Nets' challenge by trotting out Clyde, the Pearl, Reed, Bradley, etc. It was a beautiful and powerful  campaign. With it, the Knicks were saying, "we're the real team, the one with history". 

And the Nets played right into their hands, by (as @the admiral said) throwing their history in the garbage. Really, it was the Nets who should have engaged in the sort of advertising campaign that the Knicks cleverly used. That was the time to tug on fans' heartstrings by reminding them about Micheal Ray Richardson, Albert King, Buck Williams, Super John Williamson, Coach Looie, and the king of them all, Dr. J. They could even have trolled the Knicks by including shots of Kidd and Kenyon Martin, both of whom were (infuriatingly) with the Knicks that season.

But, no. The Nets made no references to their history in their marketing and promotion, nor at their arena. The team's management acted as though it were a newly-created expansion team. 

As a result of this tone-deaf abandoning of history, combined with the team's failure to appeal to the entire City in their locality name, and combined also with a new look that is bland in an attempt to be hip, the novelty wore off after the first couple of seasons when the on-court fortunes dipped; and the Nets returned to the obscurity they thought they had left behind in New Jersey.

When the Celtics used to visit the Meadowlands Arena and Newark, and the building would be full of people rooting for Boston, we used to hear that that was why the Nets were moving. "It won't be like this in Brooklyn", people said. Well, guess what? It is exactly like that in Brooklyn.

The Nets had one chance to make a splash in New York City, and they blew it. That chance is not going to come again. Even if they somehow win a championship, they will never escape second-tier status. They surely won't get a parade in Manhattan, thanks to their stupid name.

It's a shame that this franchise was consigned to irrelevancy on account of a few key bad decisions at the pivotal moment.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

When the Celtics used to visit the Meadowlands Arena, and the building would be full of people rooting for Boston, we used to hear that that was why the Nets were moving. "It won't be like this in Brooklyn", people said. Well, guess what? It is exactly like that in Brooklyn.

lmfao, "we won't have too many road fans when we move to the little tip of an island where apparently every midwesterner in their twenties has moved"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

43 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Oh cool. Lakers wearing purple at home.

Any uniform tracking website able to tell us if or how often this has happened before?

47 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Any uniform tracking website able to tell us if or how often this has happened before?

Before this season? I don’t know of any. But, I don’t recall a time outside of black and throwbacks.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

14 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

There was a picture floating around earlier of a Sixers t-shirt jersey by Nike that presumably aligned with their upcoming City Edition jerseys. I accidentally deleted the screenshot I took and can't relocate the original, but it was off-white, had a solid blue 'Phila' script, and contained centered numerals that were blue with the red drop shadow. There was nothing involving trim since it was a t-shirt jersey, but given the three uniforms we've seen so far it may be consistent across the board. Here's a mock-up of what that would look like:

Dl96CSY.jpg

I saw the t-shirt too, and this mockup looks great. But wasn't there speculation the jersey would by navy (darker than their normal blue)? Maybe it's just this but inverted, with navy blue

19 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I saw the t-shirt too, and this mockup looks great. But wasn't there speculation the jersey would by navy (darker than their normal blue)? Maybe it's just this but inverted, with navy blue

I hadn't seen that speculation! Would it be in reference to these Wilt-era Philadelphia Warriors unis? I always thought they were a truer blue that turned navy due to the camera technology back then, but this was the only possible link to navy I could think of for the Sixers. As long as they maintain the off-white, I think I'll like whatever design and/or base color they roll out.

16 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Dl96CSY.jpg

I believe this is the tee in question. Is it bad that I don't want to see these on-court? My guilty pleasure for a community Sixers uniform would secretly be a black Iverson era set with some sort of "Trust the Process" motif.

24851248918_1b443d7131_k.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

On 2017-11-27 at 10:42 PM, andrewharrington said:

The current one, generic as it may be, sets them apart and gives them a mature look that transcends the court.

Dressing in all black is rarely a sign of maturity :P

Two color on color games last night. In Philadelphia, the Sixers and Wizards had a very patriotic-looking matchup:

DP2eJ8yVwAE6sA4?format=jpg

And in Houston, the Rockets and Pacers had a nice-looking black vs. yellow affair:

DP2HTunXkAATcDv?format=jpg

Seeing the Pacers in yellow surrounded by all the red on the court really made me wish the Rockets would add yellow back to their identity. The design of their black alternates would be a good starting point for a new set, especially if they focused primarily on red, yellow, and white, possibly with some small black accents.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Oh cool. Lakers wearing purple at home.

14 hours ago, sayahh said:

13 hours ago, kimball said:

Before this season? I don’t know of any. But, I don’t recall a time outside of black and throwbacks.

From anything I remember, it has not happened. 

FWIW, the Lakers have worn the white 12 times, the yellow 11 times, the purple twice and the throwbacks so far have been worn twice as well.

Archived