Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

10 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I'm kind of surprised another team hasn't picked up the red-black-gold- color scheme since the Sixers dropped it. 

I mean, the Raptors have used gold with their red and black before to try and get Drake's approval...

Once again, two color on color games last night. In LA, the Clippers debuted their black Statement uniforms against the gold-clad Jazz:

5a20f2c60afe8.image.jpg?resize=1200,1302

And in Portland, the Blazers debuted their red Statement uniforms against the black-clad Bucks:

usa_today_10449096.0.jpg

Even though my Blazers lost, I found myself really enjoying how the Statement uniforms looked on the court. The red and black looked really sharp, as did the five tonal stripes on the sash, and even though there was a slight legibility issue with the names and numbers, it wasn’t as big a deal as I had initially expected. I was a bit dissapointed they didn’t go with the matching red and black socks, however.

I really like the look of these color-on-color games involving the Statement jerseys. I think the accessories being a secondary color helps the look and makes it feel a little less like NBA Color Rush. The biggest thing I'd change is some of the jerseys' front designs -- off the top of my head, especially the Clippers and Spurs. 

1 hour ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I really like the look of these color-on-color games involving the Statement jerseys. I think the accessories being a secondary color helps the look and makes it feel a little less like NBA Color Rush. The biggest thing I'd change is some of the jerseys' front designs -- off the top of my head, especially the Clippers and Spurs. 

While I don't like the Bucks black jerseys that much, it was good to see a few guys wearing green accessories with that set.  Made everything look much more balanced.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:17 PM, mgfoxx said:

Ha ha I knew that my opinion on that would be unpopular. But I would love a uniform in homage to the early Iverson days. A guilty pleasure take for sure. However,  I do love their current identity. 

Why a team in the nation's capital thought that black, red and gold as a color scheme would work, I have no idea.

Edited by Danny the Sheeb
I really am dumb

9 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Why a team in the nation's capital thought that black, red and gold as a color scheme would work, I have no idea.

Um ... http://bfy.tw/FLPv

But, with that said -- I agree on the blue, gold and black that Caps and Wizards wore.

26 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Every Washington team does not have to use red, white, and blue.

1984 Topps USFL #128 Craig James Front

2 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

While I don't like the Bucks black jerseys that much, it was good to see a few guys wearing green accessories with that set.  Made everything look much more balanced.

To date, teams have worn mismatching lower body accessories (tights and/or socks) 33 of the 43 times (76.7%) they've worn the Statement uniforms. By contrast, they're only mismatching with the Association sets .4% (1/266) of the time - Spurs wore black accessories with white uniforms on 10/27. They've mismatched 2.3% (7/305) of the time with Icon and 15% (3/20) with Classic.

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But, they SHOULD ...

On 11/28/2017 at 8:56 AM, upperV03 said:

The Spurs debuted their Statement uniforms last night:

DPsOACOWAAAhzhY?format=jpg

Not sure if it's the angle, but did the spur on the jersey shrink? 

PRE NIKE:

newspurs1.jpg

1 hour ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Why a team in the nation's capital Philadelphia thought that black, red and gold as a color scheme would work, I have no idea.

To be fair, the actual colors of the Liberty Bell in colonial times were black, dark red/brown and gold before it aged...

libertybellrgb_p.png

fge4lf9ridpgum631fb0gg9tt.gif

41 minutes ago, kimball said:

Not sure if it's the angle, but did the spur on the jersey shrink? 

PRE NIKE:

newspurs1.jpg

Sure looks like it did. They also shrank the front numbers on the Home & Away jerseys.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Might be one of the few DC color schemes that has absolutely no connection to the city.  

47 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Might be one of the few DC color schemes that has absolutely no connection to the city.  

Y'ALL. Both the Federals' and the blue/black/gold Caps/Wizards' color schemes absolutely have a connection to the city.

What's an iconic symbol of the Federal Government? Green paper money! It's as Washington, D.C. as you could get. An incredible color scheme for the capital.

What's an iconic symbol of the Federal Government? The Seal of the President of the United States! It's midnight blue and gold. Another incredible color scheme for the District. 

Also, the Nationals could get rid of the blue in their color scheme and it would be just fine. Because the flag of the District of Columbia. D.C. is obviously a good spot for a red/white/blue color scheme, but it isn't necessary. So many good options are available. Now, if you're team name is patriotic in a more flag-waving sense (76ers, Revolution, Patriots.duh) maybe red/white/blue is the best scheme. 

3 hours ago, kimball said:

Um ... http://bfy.tw/FLPv

But, with that said -- I agree on the blue, gold and black that Caps and Wizards wore.

Aw, I'm dumb. :P

Well, it was at one point.  What I meant was that the Sixers were so deeply entrenched in r/w/b that going away from it was a huge mistake.

2 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Y'ALL. Both the Federals' and the blue/black/gold Caps/Wizards' color schemes absolutely have a connection to the city.

What's an iconic symbol of the Federal Government? Green paper money! It's as Washington, D.C. as you could get. An incredible color scheme for the capital.

What's an iconic symbol of the Federal Government? The Seal of the President of the United States! It's midnight blue and gold. Another incredible color scheme for the District. 

Also, the Nationals could get rid of the blue in their color scheme and it would be just fine. Because the flag of the District of Columbia. D.C. is obviously a good spot for a red/white/blue color scheme, but it isn't necessary. So many good options are available. Now, if you're team name is patriotic in a more flag-waving sense (76ers, Revolution, Patriots.duh) maybe red/white/blue is the best scheme. 

Green and black schemes like the Federals are barely related to the color of money. 

The Caps/Wizards colors were likely chosen because of the Seal of the United States Congress.  The Presidential seal uses a darker midnight blue than the Congressional version, and the Congressional Seal is slightly less hyper-partisan than the Presidential seal.

2 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

Washington's new G-League team will be the Capital City Go-Go.

NW5rezwG_400x400.jpg

I *love* the name.  It's a way to pay homage to the culture of the city without resorting to tired references to the federal government.   I even like the conga graphic.  

That said, the word mark and the rest of the logo feels phoned in.