NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

6 hours ago, DeFrank said:

The Washington Federals were definitely treasury themed I think!

nobody has ever seen the congressional seal? Definitely a presidential thing it’s way more visible in daily life

Why did they use the lighter blue rather than midnight blue?  And yes, people in Washington have seen the Congressional seal.  C’mon dude.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how anyone can think the Washington Federals color scheme is NOT money-themed.  There's this thing called the FEDERAL Reserve, the central banking system (which, you know, has to do with money) of the United States.  It could not be more obvious that their color scheme is related to money. 

As for the Caps/Wizards color scheme, no one cares about the congressional seal; their color scheme was based on presidential seal colors.  The reason they didn't use navy is because they wanted to incorporate black (like everyone else in the mid-late 90s) but realized it was stupid to have black and navy in the same color scheme.  So they lightened the shade of blue.  It was a good color scheme that would never look dated, like the US presidential seal.

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

I don't see how anyone can think the Washington Federals color scheme is NOT money-themed.  There's this thing called the FEDERAL Reserve, the central banking system (which, you know, has to do with money) of the United States.  It could not be more obvious that their color scheme is related to money. 

As for the Caps/Wizards color scheme, no one cares about the congressional seal; their color scheme was based on presidential seal colors.  The reason they didn't use navy is because they wanted to incorporate black (like everyone else in the mid-late 90s) but realized it was stupid to have black and navy in the same color scheme.  So they lightened the shade of blue.  It was a good color scheme that would never look dated, like the US presidential seal.

I’d be highly surprised if the USFL was trying to honor the Federal Reserve and the banking system. 

And it makes sense that when the Capitals put a Capitol logo on their jersey for the first time in history, the colors were a nod to Congress, not the White House.  They could have just gone with dark navy and gold or copper if they were going presidential.  The lighter steel blue was not needed if they were going with Presidential seal.  Pretty clear they went the branch that conducts business inside the Capitol.  

The argument that light blue, bronzy gold, and black were chosen because of a seal that is largely dark navy blue and yellow gold is a really odd argument to make, IMO.

8 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

I thought that it was just because the owner liked the color scheme.  But maybe there's something I'm missing...

And the Federals owner liked green and black.  

I get why folks not from the Mid-Atlantic would find the name Go-Go odd.  The musical genre hasn't had a crossover hit since the '80s (DJ Kool started out in go-go, but his "Let Me Clear My Throat" single was just go-go style call and response over a hip-hop track).  But local reaction to the Capital City Go-Go team name appears to be almost universally positive -- if Twitter and internet comment sections are any indication.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/01/bustin-loose-wizards-name-new-g-league-affiliate-the-capital-city-go-go/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.de18443cca99

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/12/1/16724834/g-league-washington-wizards#comments

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1643333

And, here's a look at the rest of the logo package.  I like everything except for the primary.

screen_shot_2017-12-01_at_5.38.13_pm.png

The money connection is too unobvious to be used as the basis for a team in dc. 

Because reasons, a dc team will never be “america’s team”, and shouldn’t be bound by RWB. However, there’s not a lot of true local connections to draw from for influence - many if not most DC proper residents are transplants or working in government, and the region is more VA and MD than anything DC. 

They could draw from the city flag, but that’s red and white so not too divergent from RWB (also, though definitely not the same as the patriots in red argument, I’m sure the same points would be brought up). 

A native theam could work, but would need to be done very carefully. Even if the nfl DC team didn’t exist, I’d shy away from using burgundy for it. Maybe find some connection to a tribe to use as justification for a green scheme (I guarantee Nike could spin it). 

I think tge blue/gold/black scheme is perfect for DC, but I get why some ppl don’t. It’s a tough spot for a designer / branding person to be in. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Because reasons, a dc team will never be “america’s team”, and shouldn’t be bound by RWB. However, there’s not a lot of true local connections to draw from for influence - many if not most DC proper residents are transplants or working in government, and the region is more VA and MD than anything DC. 

It could be argued that a RWB scheme is a homage to the DC flag and the Maryland and Virginia state flags.  

I, too, thought blue/bronze/black was a good scheme.

Leonsis really should have changed the name back to Bullets in 2011 instead of the half-measure of bringing back the Bullets identity in everything but name. The 1997-2011 Wizards package sucked, the name still sucks. No one associates DC with violence anymore, they just associate it with nerds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bullets with the wizards original color scheme would have been sweet, had they not already had an established history of r w b

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

There's also this thing called the FEDERAL Bureau of Investigations, so their color should be black.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They could draw from the city flag, but that’s red and white so not too divergent from RWB (also, though definitely not the same as the patriots in red argument, I’m sure the same points would be brought up). 

A native theam could work, but would need to be done very carefully. Even if the nfl DC team didn’t exist, I’d shy away from using burgundy for it. Maybe find some connection to a tribe to use as justification for a green scheme (I guarantee Nike could spin it). 

I think tge blue/gold/black scheme is perfect for DC, but I get why some ppl don’t. It’s a tough spot for a designer / branding person to be in. 

The teams aren't from "the region" though. They are from Washington. And their identities should reflect the city. While about 60% of DC residents are from other parts of the country, I think it's fair to argue that all Americans are at least a little bit connected to Washington, D.C. by virtue of Article I, Section 8, Clause 17 (powers of Congress) of the U.S. Constitution. That connection really gets amplified if you decide to move to Washington, D.C. and register to vote in the city. A choice to move to Washington is a choice to lose your right to vote for members of Congress (among other things). That's a pretty big commitment to a place, more so than moving from one state to another!

Lets look at "federal seals" of the United States. Lots of blue and gold! And it was the late 90s, so they added black. I don't know if anyone is really arguing here that the blue/black/gold color scheme is based on one seal over another, but 1. the federal government can be characterized color wise by blue and gold and 2. the presidential seal is far more recognizable than the congressional seal.

I'm just going to choose to believe the Federals color scheme was bank note based. And that's my right as an American, even if I don't have the right to vote for members of Congress!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

DC United does a good job incorporating DC iconography without being over the top RWB:

new%20logo.png

Unfortunately, there's a hint of Third Reich, so you win some and lose some.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Leonsis really should have changed the name back to Bullets in 2011 instead of the half-measure of bringing back the Bullets identity in everything but name. The 1997-2011 Wizards package sucked, the name still sucks. No one associates DC with violence anymore, they just associate it with nerds.

There's still a major gun debate in this country.

Frankly having a team that reminds of something designed to do one thing(kill human beings) is pretty tasteless anyway IMO.

33 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Regardless of if you twist the meaning of the name Bullets or not, people will get upset and I'm sure the last thing the team or the DC Metro area wants right now is another sports team with a name that offends people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

lets just be the Bullets.

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, colortv said:

There's still a major gun debate in this country.

Frankly having a team that reminds of something designed to do one thing(kill human beings) is pretty tasteless anyway IMO.

What are swords designed to do?  

In in any case, the gun debate will always allow handguns and bullets to be legal. 

Archived