NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/2/2017 at 5:24 AM, keynote said:

I get why folks not from the Mid-Atlantic would find the name Go-Go odd.  The musical genre hasn't had a crossover hit since the '80s (DJ Kool started out in go-go, but his "Let Me Clear My Throat" single was just go-go style call and response over a hip-hop track).  But local reaction to the Capital City Go-Go team name appears to be almost universally positive -- if Twitter and internet comment sections are any indication.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/01/bustin-loose-wizards-name-new-g-league-affiliate-the-capital-city-go-go/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.de18443cca99

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/12/1/16724834/g-league-washington-wizards#comments

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1643333

And, here's a look at the rest of the logo package.  I like everything except for the primary.

screen_shot_2017-12-01_at_5.38.13_pm.png

This is fantastic. The word mark is whatever, but the rest of it is so inspired. Wale must be proud. The Go-Go sound is so DC so what a great way to deviate from typical capital imagery. This is So Hip Hop and I love it.

I really like what the G League is doing with some of these identities. They just feel right in the way a lot of minor league baseball teams do.

43 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

This is fantastic. The word mark is whatever, but the rest of it is so inspired. Wale must be proud. The Go-Go sound is so DC so what a great way to deviate from typical capital imagery. This is So Hip Hop and I love it.

I really like what the G League is doing with some of these identities. They just feel right in the way a lot of minor league baseball teams do.

I feel the same way. It's minor league, it should be fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, kimball said:

I feel the same way. It's minor league, it should be fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously. 

A fun idea would be to think about how bad the NFL would screw up a minor league. The team names would be so lifeless and uninspired. All the commonly suggested names/Madden options would just be real, with boring logos.

San Antonio Desperados

Columbus Union

London Monarchs

Oklahoma City Bandits

Orlando Dream

etc.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

11 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

A fun idea would be to think about how bad the NFL would screw up a minor league. The team names would be so lifeless and uninspired. All the commonly suggested names/Madden options would just be real, with boring logos.

San Antonio Desperados

Columbus Union

London Monarchs

Oklahoma City Bandits

Orlando Dream

etc.

NFL would be smart to just bring back the WLAF teams and a few of the XFL teams.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

San Antonio Desperados

Columbus Union

London Monarchs

Oklahoma City Bandits

Orlando Dream

etc.

The culture around football pretty much insists on joylessness. Football at any level must be treated as serious and important. That the Iowa Barnstormers existed with that name and that look is pretty amazing considering football.

The imaginatively named G-League teams are good. On the other hand, there's the Windy City Bulls.

21 minutes ago, RichO said:

The culture around football pretty much insists on joylessness. Football at any level must be treated as serious and important. That the Iowa Barnstormers existed with that name and that look is pretty amazing considering football.

The imaginatively named G-League teams are good. On the other hand, there's the Windy City Bulls.

Agreed. There are several G-League teams that are pretty brutal as well. 905, Blue, Armor....

21 minutes ago, RichO said:

I'd like to see an original nickname from the teams named after their parent club. Hopefully that's where we're heading with the G-League.

And, I'm not counting the Clippers' corporate sponsor or the Raptors' area code name.

Long Island Nets

Raptors 905

Westchester Knicks

Windy City Bulls

Lakeland Magic

Iowa Wolves

Austin Spurs

Agua Caliente Clippers

Northern Arizona Suns

Santa Cruz Warriors

South Bay Lakers

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Nice throwback vs. throwback matchup in Miami last night:

getty-images-885004806.jpg?itok=cpZvgp3q

Of course the original uniforms these are both based on were never actually worn against each other, as the final season the Warriors wore that particular uniform was ‘86/87, and the Heat’s first season in the league wasn’t until ‘88/89, but it was nice to see a matchup of throwbacks from around the same era.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Of course the original uniforms these are both based on were never actually worn against each other, as the final season the Warriors wore that particular uniform was ‘86/87, and the Heat’s first season in the league wasn’t until ‘88/89, but it was nice to see a matchup of throwbacks from around the same era.

I love those Heat ones...but I like the red versions better. 

3 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

They posted it on instagram a few days ago, although now it appears to have been deleted 

Lame.  I was looking forward to adding the dates to the tracker I have.  Looks like I have to do it the way I have been doing it since the start of the season.

2 hours ago, coachcw_51 said:

Agreed. There are several G-League teams that are pretty brutal as well. 905, Blue, Armor....

"Raptors 905" still makes my brain throb.  Imagine:

"So you're the 905, and you play in Raptors?  Where's that?"

"No, 905 is the area code for suburban Greater Toronto, where our parent club, the Toronto Raptors, play."

"So you play in suburban Toronto?"

"No, we play in Mississauga."

*cricket chirp*

*long pause*

"That's dumb."

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

4 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

"Raptors 905" still makes my brain throb.  Imagine:

"So you're the 905, and you play in Raptors?  Where's that?"

"No, 905 is the area code for suburban Greater Toronto, where our parent club, the Toronto Raptors, play."

"So you play in suburban Toronto?"

"No, we play in Mississauga."

*cricket chirp*

*long pause*

"That's dumb."

Blame Drake.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

19 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Nerd statement: We may have covered this before, but the black rim logo was never worn on the black shorts, right?  It was always the white rim, IIRC.  But I think the black rim logo with the additional white strokes looks fine, if not better.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

why are throwbacks always better than the current jerseys. i.e. 2017-2018 nike: I like Hornets, Heat, Warriors, Bucks, Suns, and Hawks throwbacks more than the current. Lakers is a toss up cause I love them both, Pacers is a toss up because i like neither of them.

On 12/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Are they seriously gonna wear the Chinese New Year alts 14 Times?

LOL I get the "town" jerseys to an extent, but the community jerseys are like the black red and yellow chinese new year jerseys LMAO

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Nerd statement: We may have covered this before, but the black rim logo was never worn on the black shorts, right?  It was always the white rim, IIRC.  But I think the black rim logo with the additional white strokes looks fine, if not better.  

Yes they used White rim logo on black shorts. Anyway this mistake is funny, because Nike was making these Heat uniforms in 90's so they should know how to make it correct.

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Huh.

Yup, you seem to be correct ...

glen-rice-of-the-miami-heat-shoots-again

Yet, the logo would be the correct one for their red alternates ...

tim-hardaway-dan-majerle-and-issac-austi

kimball banner.png

Archived