NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

I know we are all jersey nuts but I have to admit that for the first time in my life(I'm 48,loved jerseys since I was 8), I am starting to resent the whole jersey hobby. I guess it started with the third jersey NHL program in the 90's. I believe a jersey should represent a franchise and have meaning to it. This 4 jerseys for the NBA is ridiculous. I turn on a game and I can't  figure who's playing. Now I realize some teams are still looking for identities and that's fine but let's keep it to home and away. The jerseys are cheaply made now so even if you wanted to lay down the cash, you get an inferior product. Sorry,had to vent,we all know what this is about.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First glimpse at the shorts of the Hawks’ City uniform:

I’m not a fan of the color scheme of this uniform, or the wordmark & number treatment, but I like the general design much better than their regular set. It gives a nice nod to the lime green and blue Pistol Pete-era uniforms, and the triangle pattern looks much better just limited to the side panels of the jerseys and shorts, rather than covering the entire jersey.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Yikes that’s bad. It’s amazing how the Motor City jersey has gotten worse in every incarnation. Year 1 was the best by far before Adidas added sleeves. Then the sleeved version was worse, and now this thing is a monstrosity. Why would Nike add Adidas stripes to side panel? And why is Navy still being used (not even in the Pistons color scheme anymore, as I’ve mentioned previously)?

I will never understand why the Pistons/Nike didn’t bring back the 2000s red alternate as the Statement jersey and use the current “Chrome”/statement jersey as the City Jersey, replacing the Detroit text with Motor City, if necessary. This would have made the whole set much more cohesive, IMO.

31 minutes ago, joekono said:

I know we are all jersey nuts but I have to admit that for the first time in my life(I'm 48,loved jerseys since I was 8), I am starting to resent the whole jersey hobby. I guess it started with the third jersey NHL program in the 90's. I believe a jersey should represent a franchise and have meaning to it. This 4 jerseys for the NBA is ridiculous. I turn on a game and I can't  figure who's playing. Now I realize some teams are still looking for identities and that's fine but let's keep it to home and away. The jerseys are cheaply made now so even if you wanted to lay down the cash, you get an inferior product. Sorry,had to vent,we all know what this is about.

Agreed 100%.  I don't own a single jersey anymore but I still do like to have tees, sweatshirts, and hats.  I just don't understand the total lack of variety with the Nike (non-jersey) apparel so far.  With Nike taking over, I totally expected an NFL-like selection of tees and sweatshirts, etc.  What gives???  There's hardly anything available.

31 minutes ago, joekono said:

I agree. I think the NBA did it best under David Stern, when they had home, road, and one alternate jersey - which was almost always just a color swap on the existing road jersey.

7 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

First glimpse at the shorts of the Hawks’ City uniform:

I’m not a fan of the color scheme of this uniform, or the wordmark & number treatment, but I like the general design much better than their regular set. It gives a nice nod to the lime green and blue Pistol Pete-era uniforms, and the triangle pattern looks much better just limited to the side panels of the jerseys and shorts, rather than covering the entire jersey.

This is what happens when you force a stencil design into a font that wasn't intended to have one. Number 2 to the nth power.

Also, is anyone else uncomfortable with the Grizzlies' repeated use of Civil Rights iconography to sell team merchandise? First it was a wordmark designed to mimic the sign of the hotel where Dr. King was assassinated, and now it's mimicking the "I AM A MAN" sign from the garbage workers' strike that brought Dr. King to Memphis. Is there some sort of charitable angle or partnership involved in this, at least?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

27 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

This is what happens when you force a stencil design into a font that wasn't intended to have one. Number 2 to the nth power.

Also, is anyone else uncomfortable with the Grizzlies' repeated use of Civil Rights iconography to sell team merchandise? First it was a wordmark designed to mimic the sign of the hotel where Dr. King was assassinated, and now it's mimicking the "I AM A MAN" sign from the garbage workers' strike that brought Dr. King to Memphis. Is there some sort of charitable angle or partnership involved in this, at least?

I'm not sure what to make of it. I do think that the NBA's more supportive stance of player protests on racial equality and the overall prevalence of openness regarding these issues by players, coaches, and the commissioner all at least give the NBA some leeway on these kinds of tributes or moves.

I mean, I think it just speaks to the difference between the NBA and the NFL that we would never see anything like this for an NFL team. There was some talk about the Wizards wearing "Chocolate City" jerseys this year. Could you ever imagine the Washington NFL team doing that? Beyond the problem with their own nickname, it just seems so not within the realm of possibility that would happen.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

I think it’s kinda the point to make people a little uncomfortable. I mean, they probably could have done a happy, cliché, Beale Street alternate and made a lot more money, but instead they had some courage and used it as an opportunity to educate and memorialize an important figure and event in civil rights during a time when civil rights are somehow becoming a polarizing issue once again. It foregoes the stereotypical side of Memphis for a less savory but certainly more important one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Are you talking about the 2004 script? I thought that was based on Beale Street neon signs (and the mid-2000s obsession with two-tone blue). 

The jersey with side panels based on the railings of the Lorraine Motel looked cool at first when I thought it was just going for a '60s/'70s kitsch look (the Memphis Hustle eventually would), but commemorating the architecture of the place where Martin Luther King was assassinated doesn't sit right. Maybe that doesn't belong on a sports uniform even with good intentions. These sanitation strike jerseys are really pushing it: it's too oblique and too obscure a reference, and it makes them look like the Nets. It's a misfire, in my opinion.

EDIT: upon checking, the Lorraine jerseys actually didn't look cool, they were another lousy t-shirt set, but the Streamline Moderne trim still did look cool. But again, maybe a little gauche in context.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Are you talking about the 2004 script? I thought that was based on Beale Street neon signs (and the mid-2000s obsession with two-tone blue). 

The jersey with side panels based on the railings of the Lorraine Motel looked cool at first when I thought it was just going for a '60s/'70s kitsch look (the Memphis Hustle eventually would), but commemorating the architecture of the place where Martin Luther King was assassinated doesn't sit right. Maybe that doesn't belong on a sports uniform even with good intentions. These sanitation strike jerseys are really pushing it: it's too oblique and too obscure a reference, and it makes them look like the Nets. It's a misfire, in my opinion.

EDIT: upon checking, the Lorraine jerseys actually didn't look cool, they were another lousy t-shirt set, but the Streamline Moderne trim still did look cool. But again, maybe a little gauche in context.

Completely ignoring the significance behind it for a second, the wordmark looks like they stole it off of a coffee shop.

You're completely correct about it being too obscure a reference.  I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

1 minute ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

You're completely correct about it being too obscure a reference.  I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

I guess if that's the case, it does serve a purpose. Still doesn't sit right with me.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

13 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

...I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

And this would be exactly why they did it.

To me, educating people about real, important events that shape culture and society is far more valuable than filling racks with cliché throwaways.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

I'm not sure what to make of it. I do think that the NBA's more supportive stance of player protests on racial equality and the overall prevalence of openness regarding these issues by players, coaches, and the commissioner all at least give the NBA some leeway on these kinds of tributes or moves.

I mean, I think it just speaks to the difference between the NBA and the NFL that we would never see anything like this for an NFL team. There was some talk about the Wizards wearing "Chocolate City" jerseys this year. Could you ever imagine the Washington NFL team doing that? Beyond the problem with their own nickname, it just seems so not within the realm of possibility that would happen.

If any league could have gotten away with Chocolate City jerseys, it's the NBA. I wish they had done it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

And this would be exactly why they did it.

To me, educating people about real, important events that shape culture and society is far more valuable than filling racks with cliché throwaways.

My thoughts too. These jerseys are suppose to have a tie-in with the community and this works with me. It's also why I'm not completely against the gold/orange Jazz jerseys either.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Is anyone else having issues buying Swingman Association edition jerseys?

The online Sixers shop, online NBA shop and the NBA store on 5th Av are all out of stock...

not really on topic, but I stopped by the NBA store on 5th two weekends ago, and there was a line to get in.  I've been there dozens of times, and it's always crowded, but that was absurd.  I really wanted to get a good look / touch of the Nike jerseys, but wasn't going to wait to do so.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

NBA, entertains and teaches.
I also didn't know anything about that strike, but when I try to learn something about it I noticed that signs in National Civil Rights Museum got a red font color not black, so Memhpis jersey shouldn't has red accents?

4r2eer.png

I’ve been saying it since those uniforms were unveiled, recolor the black Rockets set in red and white and you have yourself a very good and needed uniform update for those guys.

Even if Nike’s modifications made the black ones less good.

Speaking of Nike BS, if not for the “association” rule, I’d say the Rockets could go light gray at home, using sleeveless versions of that last Adidas alternate.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived