Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Also, is anyone else uncomfortable with the Grizzlies' repeated use of Civil Rights iconography to sell team merchandise? First it was a wordmark designed to mimic the sign of the hotel where Dr. King was assassinated, and now it's mimicking the "I AM A MAN" sign from the garbage workers' strike that brought Dr. King to Memphis. Is there some sort of charitable angle or partnership involved in this, at least?

Are you talking about the 2004 script? I thought that was based on Beale Street neon signs (and the mid-2000s obsession with two-tone blue). 

The jersey with side panels based on the railings of the Lorraine Motel looked cool at first when I thought it was just going for a '60s/'70s kitsch look (the Memphis Hustle eventually would), but commemorating the architecture of the place where Martin Luther King was assassinated doesn't sit right. Maybe that doesn't belong on a sports uniform even with good intentions. These sanitation strike jerseys are really pushing it: it's too oblique and too obscure a reference, and it makes them look like the Nets. It's a misfire, in my opinion.

EDIT: upon checking, the Lorraine jerseys actually didn't look cool, they were another lousy t-shirt set, but the Streamline Moderne trim still did look cool. But again, maybe a little gauche in context.

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Are you talking about the 2004 script? I thought that was based on Beale Street neon signs (and the mid-2000s obsession with two-tone blue). 

The jersey with side panels based on the railings of the Lorraine Motel looked cool at first when I thought it was just going for a '60s/'70s kitsch look (the Memphis Hustle eventually would), but commemorating the architecture of the place where Martin Luther King was assassinated doesn't sit right. Maybe that doesn't belong on a sports uniform even with good intentions. These sanitation strike jerseys are really pushing it: it's too oblique and too obscure a reference, and it makes them look like the Nets. It's a misfire, in my opinion.

EDIT: upon checking, the Lorraine jerseys actually didn't look cool, they were another lousy t-shirt set, but the Streamline Moderne trim still did look cool. But again, maybe a little gauche in context.

Completely ignoring the significance behind it for a second, the wordmark looks like they stole it off of a coffee shop.

You're completely correct about it being too obscure a reference.  I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

1 minute ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

You're completely correct about it being too obscure a reference.  I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

I guess if that's the case, it does serve a purpose. Still doesn't sit right with me.

13 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

...I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

And this would be exactly why they did it.

To me, educating people about real, important events that shape culture and society is far more valuable than filling racks with cliché throwaways.

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

I'm not sure what to make of it. I do think that the NBA's more supportive stance of player protests on racial equality and the overall prevalence of openness regarding these issues by players, coaches, and the commissioner all at least give the NBA some leeway on these kinds of tributes or moves.

I mean, I think it just speaks to the difference between the NBA and the NFL that we would never see anything like this for an NFL team. There was some talk about the Wizards wearing "Chocolate City" jerseys this year. Could you ever imagine the Washington NFL team doing that? Beyond the problem with their own nickname, it just seems so not within the realm of possibility that would happen.

If any league could have gotten away with Chocolate City jerseys, it's the NBA. I wish they had done it.

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

And this would be exactly why they did it.

To me, educating people about real, important events that shape culture and society is far more valuable than filling racks with cliché throwaways.

My thoughts too. These jerseys are suppose to have a tie-in with the community and this works with me. It's also why I'm not completely against the gold/orange Jazz jerseys either.

I'd rather have the gaudy '90s jerseys back after seeing most of this garbage.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Is anyone else having issues buying Swingman Association edition jerseys?

The online Sixers shop, online NBA shop and the NBA store on 5th Av are all out of stock...

not really on topic, but I stopped by the NBA store on 5th two weekends ago, and there was a line to get in.  I've been there dozens of times, and it's always crowded, but that was absurd.  I really wanted to get a good look / touch of the Nike jerseys, but wasn't going to wait to do so.

2 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

I didn't know anything about any sanitation workers' strike until the explanation for these came out.

NBA, entertains and teaches.
I also didn't know anything about that strike, but when I try to learn something about it I noticed that signs in National Civil Rights Museum got a red font color not black, so Memhpis jersey shouldn't has red accents?

I’ve been saying it since those uniforms were unveiled, recolor the black Rockets set in red and white and you have yourself a very good and needed uniform update for those guys.

Even if Nike’s modifications made the black ones less good.

Speaking of Nike BS, if not for the “association” rule, I’d say the Rockets could go light gray at home, using sleeveless versions of that last Adidas alternate.

I really loved the 76ers' red alternates in action last night. I really love that they changed the color pattern in the striping. My only gripe would be that they should have used a number font that meshes well with the script wordmark on this and their 4th alternate.

1 hour ago, Bolt957 said:

I really loved the 76ers' red alternates in action last night. I really love that they changed the color pattern in the striping. My only gripe would be that they should have used a number font that meshes well with the script wordmark on this and their 4th alternate.

I really hate that script.  The "x" is awkward, it's too thin, and it seems like one of those standard script fonts that ship with word processing programs.

I like the concept of the jersey, just think they need a much better script.  I disagree with you re: numbers.  The numbers should be plain, which adds emphasis to the script.  That being said, I'd prefer plain block numbers vs the youth-league style they use.

For those who didn’t catch the game last night, here’s a look at how the Sixers’ red uniforms looked on the court:

r960-ac684532dd62b44724957048d9111caa.jp

The Pistons also debuted their Statement uniforms last night, in Indianapolis:636489694535506118-AP17350040724572.jpg

I’m not really a fan of the Pistons’ gray uniform (though this new version is better than its predecessor), but I do appreciate the blue tights and red socks adding a bit more color to the overall look. That said, with how blue-heavy the uniform is, blue socks would be a better choice than the red.

11 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

The OKC alternate uniforms are the best single uniforms in NBA history.

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

2hn2yjc.jpg

Pretty sure these shiny baggy bad boys are the best (jk)IMG_9177.JPG.2bd80cf2a2410fab4b0d39d9b513f0d2.JPG

891998404-oklahoma-city-thunder-v-indian

Absolutely beautiful. Energetic.

These uniforms look like they belong on CNN's election night coverage in 1992 in the best way.

hqdefault.jpg

You know what I mean? Y'all feel me?

10 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

891998404-oklahoma-city-thunder-v-indian

Absolutely beautiful. Energetic.

These uniforms look like they belong on CNN's election night coverage in 1992 in the best way.

hqdefault.jpg

You know what I mean? Y'all feel me?

Count me as another huge fan of these uniforms. I'd personally be ecstatic if the Thunder would design their entire set around these uniforms.