NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

Gray is a pretty dumb color for an NBA uniform anyway. Outside of the Spurs (and even that's a reach), I can't think of a single team that looks good in it compared to using a different team color. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a word, “Canada” is itself too closely aligned to sugar shacks, hockey games, and donuts.

Sugar shacks? Apparently Canada is only Quebec. And who can forget that uniquely Canadian delicacy, the (checks notes, deploys reading glasses) donut

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Put me in the camp of agreeing that the Raptors chose a slogan to ride the zeitgeist surrounding Game of Thrones.  We're talking about a team that chose its nickname and mascot to capitalize off of a popular movie; why would anyone be surprised if later marketing efforts were influenced by a mega-hit TV show?  

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm entirely serious.

O Canada was written in 1880 and became the national anthem in 1980. Both of which predate Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. So yes. I'm serious. I know it may be hard for you to believe, but we Canadians have been thinking of our country as "the North" long before we ever heard of George RR Martin or Game of Thrones.

Congratulations. You found one article, where the author puts forth their opinion that it ties in with GoT. They didn't quote any MLSE or Raptors officials, they didn't source anything. They're only doing what you're doing. Spewing speculation.

Meanwhile I provided two timely articles on the "We the North" slogan unveiling, one of which being an interview with the then-MLSE CEO. References were made to Canada being "the North" but no mention of Game of Thrones.

In what ways are these similar? The font's different. The layout is different. It wouldn't have been that hard to put "We the North" over a stylised Raptor head similar to how "King of the North" is placed over the Stark dire wolf, if that was indeed the intent. All you have is a similar but different colour layout and the word "north."

You're reaching. Again, it's not hard to find Canadians referring to Canada as "the North" in material that pre-dates George RR Martin. Come on, man.

You really think the organization would just come out and admit that's where they blatantly ripped it off from?

The intense commercials also make a number of references to arguably the most electrifying television show on TV at the moment, “Game of Thrones.” The North, the wolves, the enchanting epic quality of it all makes one want to practically suit up for Khalessi and begin slaughtering the Lannisters (I wish.)

https://jamespavel.com/tag/we-the-north-marketing-campaign/

To that end, a new campaign was unveiled Wednesday celebrating the Raptors as — to borrow a phrase from the wildly popular Game of Thrones TV series — ‘Kings in the North.’ Only with this campaign, Canada’s lone franchise is being celebrated as: ‘We The North.’

http://torontosun.com/2014/04/17/raptors-unveil-new-ad-campaign-to-turn-around-existing-myths/wcm/6492e537-d5cd-4029-94e5-d9c57e9aa6f8

19 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The one ugly thing about them is the logo on the front. Besides that, the pinstripes & design was all really slick & the colour scheme was unique for the time. The bad jerseys are these: 

cover.jpg

Um, how dare you. Those jerseys were, and still are, fantastic. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

9 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

It's just because Minnesota (because of the northwest angle) is the northernmost continental state

Ummmmmm ... Portland?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5330423

Mountain patterns on an NBA jersey? Not like we've ever seen that before. Oh wait...

Malonestockton_crop_north.jpg?w=600&h=40

:D;)

But in all seriousness...these new Nike jersey roll-outs have almost all fallen somewhere between "dud" and "headscratcher." Most either use the same color as another jersey in the set (Phoenix, Denver and others) or use a color found nowhere in the team's color scheme (Boston, Utah, Charlotte, OKC, Orlando, etc.). Because of this, we've been deprived of a Suns orange jersey (WHY?!), a Nuggets light blue jersey (WHY?!), a Celtics green/gold jersey (also WHY?!),  a Jazz green jersey (Why?), and even a Thunder red-orange jersey (again Why?). Even the ones that make some sense, like the Hornets' black jersey, should've just been a sleveless version of their "Buzz City" alternates.

But, as they are wont to do, Nike, the NBA, and its teams are given the tools to fix some things that are not broken and end up leaving the car inoperable.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Ok, maybe I'm drinking the Nike-Aid, but I think the pattern on the shorts is pretty clever. On one hand, they look like mountains. But what I see is a quasi-1980s computer drawn city skyline of skyscrapers - a nod to, and a different interpretation of, the rainbow jerseys.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Honestly, I don’t hate those Nuggets uniforms. I certainly think they could’ve been executed better, and I would’ve preferred their City uniform to be baby blue, but I don’t think this is too bad. At the very least the shorts add some excitement to what otherwise could’ve been a very boring and uninspired uniform. They remind be somewhat of Nike’s college basketball Hyper Elite Disruption uniforms from 2016:

CbmMBDFUAAAisyH.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-02-19_at_3.01.46_PM.0.0

mmpx1686-smalljpg-84e1ba5639222678.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, Ark said:

I understand that the Nets wanted to differentiate themselves from the New Jersey Nets when they moved to Brooklyn. Why wouldn't they go back to this set?

CxgXHkDW8AI1xrZ.jpg

My guess is because at this moment, it looks more like it belongs in either the 76ers’ or Wizards’ identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I didn't realize Portland was a state. Please read my comment again

Gotcha. That makes more sense. I was thinking city wise. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Nuggets, what the hell.

Two quick thoughts on the jerseys ... 

> I hope the front number is closer to the pick ax. That white space looks odd.

> I don't hate them. 

kimball banner.png

Archived