NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

5 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

They're in Live (not that anybody plays that game). I wonder if the NBA is punishing 2K for leaking them.

Live has the New Orleans' numbers on the same level, and it looks far better than the one-up-one-down look.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

gettyimages-1955811.jpg?quality=100&w=65

You, and anyone else pushing the “Jordan also played with the Wizards!” sentiment, are really digging for internet win points, aren’t you? 

There’s no way, no G-ddamned way, Michael Jordan’s stint with the Wizards compares with his Bulls tenure in terms of relevance and brand equity.

Now look. I know you or SCalderwood will say “I know but...” so I’m just gonna stop you right there.

If you know Jordan’s tenure with the Bulls is so far above and beyond his stint with the Wizards than why bother attempting to make a comparison? Oh right. It’s the internet where hot takes and “gotcha” moments reign supreme. Regardless of how little sense they make.  

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Astonishingly dumb opinion here.

An opinion worthy of loogodude himself. 

That’s a bloody brilliant idea!

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

And then if Nike’s insists on changing the City editions every year, go with something based on the old warmups:N08385-292-lr-1.jpg

320_1981_Boston_Celtics_Road_Larry_Bird_

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

You realize the Celtics very likely could’ve been the ones who decided on the gray base color, and not Nike? I love how so many people just assume that the manufacturer is solely responsible for every creative decision when in reality that’s often not the case at all. Now that’s not to say that Nike wasn’t in charge on some, or even most of these City edition uniforms, but I wouldn’t just assume that without actually knowing it. More often than not it’s a collaborative process between the teams and the manufacturer (in this case, Nike), but in some cases creative decisions are decided on in-house or through a collaborative process with the team, the manufacturer, and an outside firm (like RARE Design).

I agree ... to a point. Nike comes with its’ idea and I’m sure the team does too. But, from what it seems like — some teams are more involved then others and I think that shows in their city uniforms. The Jazz, Heat, Bulls and Grizzlies had depth and meaning to their city jerseys, where it’s pretty evident (especially with the Jazz as mentioned in the espn article) they had a loud voice in the process.

Whereas, teams like the Pistons, Celtics, Rockets, Spurs and Suns mailed it in. They look like they either told Nike to stick with what they had or just rubberstamped approval on what was made.

I’m sure other teams without loud Nike’d Jerseys did the same — Magic, Cavs, Nets, Clippers, etc.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

It’s interesting that the Celtics City uni is just an update on their grey sleeved ones from the last couple years. They just lopped off the sleeves (upgrade), moved the pattern from side panels to all over (upgrade only because it’s more subtle than the mockups suggested), changed the lettering from white to green (upgrade) and used the regular font instead of the old serifed one (push).

everything I saw suggested that the previous grey jerseys were not exactly popular but I guess the brain trust sees something here.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I agree ... to a point. Nike comes with its’ idea and I’m sure the team does too. But, from what it seems like — some teams are more involved then others and I think that shows in their city uniforms. The Jazz, Heat, Bulls and Grizzlies had depth and meaning to their city jerseys, where it’s pretty evident (especially with the Jazz as mentioned in the espn article) they had a loud voice in the process.

Whereas, teams like the Pistons, Celtics, Rockets, Spurs and Suns mailed it in. They look like they either told Nike to stick with what they had or just rubberstamped approval on what was made.

I’m sure other teams without loud Nike’d Jerseys did the same — Magic, Cavs, Nets, Clippers, etc.

That’s the difference in the Jazz, for example, having a creative director (Ben Barnes) who’s quite passionate about sports design (and a veteran of these message boards). I guarantee you not every team has a person like that in charge of their brand, if they have even someone in that role.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, eRay said:

Just adding an example of what I meant...

rr6nt5.jpg

And i’d also note that this has the benefit of reflecting the leprechaun’s gold vest from the Celtics logo. “Benefit” possibly being over generous as a descriptor in this case. But at any rate I don’t hate this!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

You realize the Celtics very likely could’ve been the ones who decided on the gray base color, and not Nike? I love how so many people just assume that the manufacturer is solely responsible for every creative decision when in reality that’s often not the case at all. Now that’s not to say that Nike wasn’t in charge on some, or even most of these City edition uniforms, but I wouldn’t just assume that without actually knowing it. More often than not it’s a collaborative process between the teams and the manufacturer (in this case, Nike), but in some cases creative decisions are decided on in-house or through a collaborative process with the team, the manufacturer, and an outside firm (like RARE Design).

Hah that's true, not sure why I jumped to Nike.

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

You, and anyone else pushing the “Jordan also played with the Wizards!” sentiment, are really digging for internet win points, aren’t you? 

There’s no way, no G-ddamned way, Michael Jordan’s stint with the Wizards compares with his Bulls tenure in terms of relevance and brand equity.

Now look. I know you or SCalderwood will say “I know but...” so I’m just gonna stop you right there.

If you know Jordan’s tenure with the Bulls is so far above and beyond his stint with the Wizards than why bother attempting to make a comparison? Oh right. It’s the internet where hot takes and “gotcha” moments reign supreme. Regardless of how little sense they make. 

I probably should've elaborated on what I was trying to do, I wasn't trying to do a gotcha thing or start any fights or anything. I was just posting a pic of Jordan in a questionable uniform to drive the point home that in 2017 nothing is sacred anymore it seems and anyone and everyone is getting an alternate now. I know Admiral is passionate about the Bulls and I get it, I'm passionate about the Raiders uniforms myself but I just don't think that any team should get a special exemption when it's a league-wide thing, ya know?

I think powder blue being added to a Bulls uniform is strange in a way, but I think it's alot better than the Celtics going all gray with parquet pattern or the Lakers having snakeskin pattern. I am biased to that Lakers uniform though because I'm a big fan of Kobe Bryant, but it's still bizarre to see such a traditional team take such a crazy approach.

bSLCtu2.png

25 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

but I just don't think that any team should get a special exemption when it's a league-wide thing, ya know?

There’s the famous story from MLB’s “Turn Ahead the Clock” promotion from the late 90s. The Yankees weren’t participating, so someone asked Steinbrenner why the Yankees weren’t wearing their future uniforms. 

Big Stein just replied “we are.”

Teams have the option to say no. 

Of course very few do because the allure of a quick buck via alternate jersey sales is tempting. 

Still, it can be argued that maintaining a distinct brand that isn’t muddied by foreign design elements is the better option long-term. 

The Bulls definitely have the brand equity to pull off a simple “white at home, red on the road, occasionally wear black” setup. 

A Chicago flag-themed set would be fine if this were a present-day expansion franchise, but the Bulls have a glorious history attached to their primary look. The stars and powder blue just subtracts from that. 

And ro reiterate what someone else said. The Bulls can sell all the Chicago flag merchandise they want. That doesn’t mean they should mess with the on-court look.  

41 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

There’s the famous story from MLB’s “Turn Ahead the Clock” promotion from the late 90s. The Yankees weren’t participating, so someone asked Steinbrenner why the Yankees weren’t wearing their future uniforms. 

Big Stein just replied “we are.”

Teams have the option to say no. 

Of course very few do because the allure of a quick buck via alternate jersey sales is tempting. 

Still, it can be argued that maintaining a distinct brand that isn’t muddied by foreign design elements is the better option long-term. 

The Bulls definitely have the brand equity to pull off a simple “white at home, red on the road, occasionally wear black” setup. 

A Chicago flag-themed set would be fine if this were a present-day expansion franchise, but the Bulls have a glorious history attached to their primary look. The stars and powder blue just subtracts from that. 

And ro reiterate what someone else said. The Bulls can sell all the Chicago flag merchandise they want. That doesn’t mean they should mess with the on-court look.  

You're right, I completely forgot about these types of examples. Just recently the Washington Redskins said no to their Color Rush uniforms and wore their normal uniforms instead. The Holidays seem to have shut my brain off from critical thinking.

bSLCtu2.png

They're the Silver and Black. What are they doing in white pants and socks? It makes them look soft. I mean sure, the silver numbers are nice, but not nice enough to offset the silly tights look.

Besides, the Raiders should be flouting leaguewide initiatives on general principle.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived