Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

On 1/1/2018 at 4:53 PM, andrewharrington said:

I’m with you in principle, but even I will concede that this practice is pretty lame and lacking in vision or purpose.

Also, wearing the same colors every day? Does anyone even want to wear licensed sports apparel every day? :-)

Of course no one is wearing licensed merchandise on a daily basis. But you're missing my point. From a team/business perspective, offering fans options can only mean more money. If a fan walks into the team store they're only going to buy so many shirts that have the same colors. Fans may be more inclined to buy a black/white shirt if they already own other team colored apparel. 

On 1/1/2018 at 4:52 PM, Ice_Cap said:

All of this is true, but it was all true when teams adhered to 2-4 colours shrug

It’s not like people only realized the Chicago Bulls were a cornerstone of Chicago once they rolled out their CM Punk unis. People figured it out long before then. 

I agree. Which is why if I wear a royal blue Maple Leafs t-shirt? I just don’t wear Maple Leafs gear the next day. I don’t sit around going “gosh, I wish I had a gold and orange Maple Leafs shirt!”

People can, and do, wear things other than officially licenced merchandise from sports teams :D 

Well that’s the problem, isn’t it? Nike, in the context of NBA uniforms, shouldn’t be the dominant brand. The teams’ brands should come first. Nike, in this context, is just a manufacturer. They shouldn’t be outshining any single NBA brand. 

According to who? The Maple Leafs are still doing just fine from a branding perspective with just royal blue and white. The Canadiens’ simple red, white, and blue colour scheme is still iconic. As are the Yankees’ midnight navy pinstripes on white. 

Heck, look at the NBA. The Celtics in grey or black will never replace the equity they have in simple green and white. And the Lakers? They’ll always be purple and gold first and foremost. 

So teams can, and often do, just fine with just 2-4 colours. 

Of course people wear non-team branded apparel. You're missing my point. I'm speaking from a team/manufacturer position. Offering more options means more potential revenue. Fans are only going to buy so many purple and gold Lakers shirts. If they go to a game and see a black/white shirt they may be more inclined to purchase because they already have enough purple/gold gear. It's about increasing the probability that a fan will wear team branded apparel on the regular. 

I wasn't saying Nike should outshine the team. I'm saying that Nike is a bigger brand than any team in the NBA, and they don't adhere to 2-4 colors like NBA teams do. My point is that teams/brands in general don't NEED to adhere to a strict color scheme to have a strong brand. 

Teams are fine with 2-4 colors. No one is arguing against that. I'm simply saying that doing things outside the box won't kill a brand because theres more to a brand than color.

1 hour ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Of course people wear non-team branded apparel. You're missing my point. I'm speaking from a team/manufacturer position. Offering more options means more potential revenue. Fans are only going to buy so many purple and gold Lakers shirts. If they go to a game and see a black/white shirt they may be more inclined to purchase because they already have enough purple/gold gear. It's about increasing the probability that a fan will wear team branded apparel on the regular. 

I wasn't saying Nike should outshine the team. I'm saying that Nike is a bigger brand than any team in the NBA, and they don't adhere to 2-4 colors like NBA teams do. My point is that teams/brands in general don't NEED to adhere to a strict color scheme to have a strong brand. 

Teams are fine with 2-4 colors. No one is arguing against that. I'm simply saying that doing things outside the box won't kill a brand because theres more to a brand than color.

Thing is team colors have been the defining feature of team identity from the dawn of team sports.

And even if a manufacturer's function allows it more latitude (you can get gear in all order of colors from them) in spaces they truly get to outfit athletes as they choose, like track, companies consistently make their athletes look pretty much the same, even if the colors change year to year and they sell others. In the end, Nike, Adidas, Brooks, and the rest will put their runners in the same color gear (or national teams in nearly identical templates) for same reason teams have- the identity may be bigger than the set of colors (see fashion gear), but the unity of color is how you highlight the identity day-in, day-out.

This Knicks/Wizards game tonight in *gasp* regular home/road unis might be one of the best aesthetic games of the year.

The Lakers and Thunder are going blue vs. blue tonight in LA, as the Lakers are going with their MPLS throwbacks and the Thunder are going with their Statement uniforms. I’ll try to post a picture later when I can find a good one.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The Lakers and Thunder are going blue vs. blue tonight in LA, as the Lakers are going with their MPLS throwbacks and the Thunder are going with their Statement uniforms. I’ll try to post a picture later when I can find a good one.

Here’s a good shot of the matchup:

DSrLUcIXcAA58Zr?format=jpg

In addition to being blue vs. blue, the matchup offered up a really interesting contrast between retro and modern. Not only that, but the fact that both uniforms feature abbreviated wordmarks and are devoid of white (with the exception of the ad patch on the Lakers’ set) made it even more intriguing.

Thunder really need to consider dropping the white sleeves from their Statement set. The white sleeves work with their Icon uniforms, because of the white numbers. But since the Statement uni has no white, it feels out of place.

DPceJcBVAAEjQ7V.jpg

Quick and dirty mockup of what they would look like with blue or orange sleeves instead.

Are there going to be All-Star Game jerseys this year or will it go back to home Association vs away Icon?

3 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Are there going to be All-Star Game jerseys this year or will it go back to home Association vs away Icon?

I would assume ASG jerseys, there's too much money in over saturating the market with more jerseys. I hope they go back to blue vs. red. 

17 minutes ago, kimball said:

I would assume ASG jerseys, there's too much money in over saturating the market with more jerseys. I hope they go back to blue vs. red. 

By that logic, though, Nike would have made Christmas jerseys.

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

By that logic, though, Nike would have made Christmas jerseys.

True. 

I kinda wonder if they are trying to sell the fans on the four editions (well five) this year before adding more? At least I hope so? I want Christmas jerseys.

Remember that it's not East/West anymore, but schoolyard style (a.k.a. probably Team LeBron vs Team Curry), so if you loved this era of the NFL Pro Bowl...

I was at that 2015 Pro Bowl. I left to get some beers and when I returned I asked my cousin who was winning. He said, "I dunno, either grey or light grey. This is stupid. Let's go home."

I still have have absolutely no idea who won. Don't care, either. 

Last year was Conference-less on the jerseys too ... but, in the past 15 years it's only happened twice.

all-star-game-feature-clean.jpg?quality=

Right now, based on the fan vote, it looks like team Durant vs Team Antetekounmpo. 

I'd be pleasantly shocked if Giannis holds on. What I'm really hoping for as a pipe dream is for Irving to take the lead. That'd be fun.

13 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

Re: No more East vs West... I would assume we'll get jerseys without team names, like these from 2003

hqdefault.jpg

If you're right, I assume they won't say "EAST" and "WEST" down the shorts, either.  ;)

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I'd be pleasantly shocked if Giannis holds on. What I'm really hoping for as a pipe dream is for Irving to take the lead. That'd be fun.

Team LeBron vs Team Irving would be fun.