NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

3 hours ago, sayahh said:

Is there an official league-wide apparel supplier for the Big3?

Looks like those jerseys were made by OT Sports out of North Carolina. They're mainly known for working with Minor League Baseball and hockey teams to make specialty jerseys (Star Wars and whatnot) plus primary gamers for the SPHL.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Good riddance, as you mentioned in the article, that logo has been the worst kept secret for nearly a year now. Though technically they still haven't formally unveiled it as their new primary, so we've still got a little ways to go until it's completely over. But at least there's confirmation that it definitely is the new primary, and at least someone affiliated with the team (the Pistons.com editor) finally acknowledged the new logo's existence 10 days ago.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

A couple of thoughts (Thanks to Conrad):

Now that it's "official" is anyone surprised that the design is SO close to the old Bad Boys era logo? I would think this will take a significant bite out of their HWC sales.

Also, this has to be an extremely rare instance of a parent club changing its logo to match its afiliate.

IMG_0637.PNG

IMG_0638.PNG

14 minutes ago, Fuhrms said:

Now that it's "official" is anyone surprised that the design is SO close to the old Bad Boys era logo? I would think this will take a significant bite out of their HWC sales.

Also, this has to be an extremely rare instance of a parent club changing its logo to match its afiliate.

Taking a bite out of HWC sales for sales of new merchandise is likely a zero-sum or net-positive.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Fuhrms said:

IMG_0637.PNG

IMG_0638.PNG

...Which (hopefully) means the new HWCs will be... wait for it... TEAL!!!

ExJworW.png

9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

...Which (hopefully) means the new HWCs will be... wait for it... TEAL!!!

Do you have a business degree because you just blew my mind!

1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

I'm dead LOL

Btw.

pistons_113.jpg

pistons_117.jpg

FTW! If only if they removed that horse and used a cleaner wordmark..it would have lasted longer IMO

It's a totally rad design. But at the same time, that's sorta the problem. It's was introduced in the later half of the mid-90s, at the time when the teal fad was on the way out. I like this design and the logos. But I could see why it didn't last long.

It would have stuck around had Grant Hill not gotten injured and brought a few titles to Detroit. Same can be said about the Barkley-era Rockets.

I'm really not a fan at all of the retro Pistons logo or its modernization. I think basketballs look very odd when you try to show them at a face-on perspective, and the text will just be garbled and unreadable at small sizes (i.e. on mobile screens).

5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

When will these 2 logos get a cleaned-up modernized version?

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/6/237/thumbs/uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/6/214/thumbs/burm5gh2wvjti3xhei5h16k8e.gif

Even the Celtics made changes to their logo...

Someone did a concept once where they just put the Lakers jersey script over the basketball logo, and it looked pretty sharp. But I think what the Lakers need to do is do what the Vikings did: thicken and clean up the line work. Reduce the amount of detail slightly, and maybe finally put an outline around the basketball. The Lakers do have their alternate "L" logo, I think that should be more emphasized, too.

3 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Someone did a concept once where they just put the Lakers jersey script over the basketball logo, and it looked pretty sharp. But I think what the Lakers need to do is do what the Vikings did: thicken and clean up the line work. Reduce the amount of detail slightly, and maybe finally put an outline around the basketball. The Lakers do have their alternate "L" logo, I think that should be more emphasized, too.

That L logo sucks. Hated it then and hate it still.

Pretty sure the Heat updated their logo slightly once before but it's one of the better logos IMO. Liked it before they won any of their titles.

3 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Pretty sure the Heat updated their logo slightly once before but it's one of the better logos IMO. Liked it before they won any of their titles.

Yeah the Heat logo is pretty solid.  I've never seen a concept that improved it.  

And count me as another that doesn't like the Lakers' L logo...the primary logo could be updated with thicker lines on the basketball, but the overall design is so classic.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, sayahh said:

They did an update that made the logo a bit more consistent in terms of color.

5569.gif

I remember reading somewhere it was hard to reproduce this logo on various merchandise due to the color gradient, so they went for the current one with a flatter color scheme.

Archived