Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

The uniform matchups for the WCF are now up on the LockerVision site:

https://lockervision.nba.com/

Games 1, 2, 5, and 7 are all Houston in black vs. Golden State in white. Games 3 and 6 are Golden State in white vs. Houston in red. Game 4 is the lone game with Golden State in their “The Town” set, while Houston will be in white. 

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm a big believer that alternates should not be allowed in the playoffs because you want teams in their most recognizable look for historical purposes. 

Has every NBA team either done a BFBS alternate or worn black as part of their color scheme at some point in their history? It feels like in the last few years all of the holdouts caved and have done something with black. 

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The Pacers and Pelicans are the only two I can think of. 

OKC, Denver, Detroit, Jazz, Wizards

3 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

OKC, Denver, Detroit, Jazz, Wizards

GettyImages-80810364.0.jpg20130102-ak-1959531.jpg

^ AK47 will go down as one of, if not the best nickname of all time. 

5 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Those Jazz jerseys ruled. If we’re gonna break their color scheme anyway, i want inspo from this set.

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

Those Jazz jerseys ruled. If we’re gonna break their color scheme anyway, i want inspo from this set.

That should be the Diamondbacks color scheme.

11 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I'm not sure that the Wizards were really going BFBS with that uniform.  Black was actually a color in their color scheme at that time, and it was featured significantly on their primary jerseys (at least their road jerseys), so seeing them in black was not that jarring.  The same way I would not call the Washington Capitals black jersey from that era BFBS.  The Wiz and Caps had the same color scheme during much of that era. 

Unless you are saying that the introduction of black in their color schemes at all is BFBS, which I suppose is a different argument.  I tend to think of BFBS as when a team that doesn't really use black on their primary jerseys or in their color scheme just introduces a black jersey out of nowhere (well, not out of nowhere, but to sell more jerseys), like the Warriors, Cavaliers, Celtics, Lakers, Bucks, etc.

Honestly, I'm suprised the Wizards never had a black jersey during that era.  A black jersey with white, gold, and blue trim could have looked really good for an alternate jersey.  And very wizard-y.  Certainly more wizard-y than anything they would be able to do with red, white, and blue.

7 hours ago, Digby said:

Those Jazz jerseys ruled.

The whole identity from that era ruled, that set included. They had a strong personality of their own. The current identity, while not bad (although, I'm not a supporter of the note logo), is rather bland and lifeless in comparison.

I've been thinking about how Nike and the NBA clearly took inspiration for international club soccer for the new scheme, e.g. a set amount of uniforms, but some change annually, and a willingness to discard team colors entirely for alternates. What they missed, though, is that in soccer, the teams still wear their primary look as much as they possibly can, generally speaking. Like sure, Arsenal might wear pink or turquoise or something fluorescent whatever, but if you go to see a home game you can safely say that they'll be wearing red with white sleeves. It's one thing for basketball teams to have a variety of looks, some non-traditional, but the seeming randomness at which their worn, rather than a prioritization of your most pure look, is what gets me.

That “The Town” uniform is dreadful.

10 minutes ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

the NBA has today announced what the Golden State Warriors and Houston Rockets will be wearing for each game of the 2018 NBA Western Conference Finals

Even as a uniform nerd, I find this statement absurd.

The Rockets have a really bland black uniform; wish they’d stop wearing it all the time like the goddamn Celtics lately 

Man, no blue from the warriors for two straight series. That’s just depressing. Could have had it if the rockets weren’t obsessed with that crappy black alt. Of course GSW have been wearing their statement a lot too. 

Another Cavs vs Dubs final will produce a largely similar result. Black vs white, white vs wine. 

I still think the Rockets’ black uni is their best one and should be the base of a rebrand.

as for the uniform schedule, this is subject to change, anyway. Didn’t the Sixers say they were going to wear red against the Celtics only to change their minds after game one?

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I still think the Rockets’ black uni is their best one and should be the base of a rebrand.

as for the uniform schedule, this is subject to change, anyway. Didn’t the Sixers say they were going to wear red against the Celtics only to change their minds after game one?

The last thing the NBA needs is another red/black team.

15 hours ago, Digby said:

I agree.

The thing that I hate about the Rockets wearing them exclusively at all playoff home games ... there's no black on the court. It looks so out of place. Not as bad as Miami's Miami Vice jersey on the Heat's current court, but it bugs me to no end.