NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

26 minutes ago, sayahh said:

According to this photo sent in by a reader named Brett Knowles to UniWatch, it's going to go back to purple.  Not sure if primary logo or not, though.

DAD6qQ3XgAAbbNI.jpg

That just looks like a generic design someone whipped up on one of those custom t-shirt websites. Either that or someone took an existing picture of a basic white hoodie and mocked up that design on it. The font is an extremely basic block font, and the swoosh and NBA logo both look too small. Hell, the swoosh isn't even the same shade of orange as the ball in the logo and just looks like the standard orange swoosh. Plus, the hoodie itself doesn't look like one of Nike's, and it just looks like a generic white sweatshirt instead. I'd say it's definitely fake.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

That just looks like a generic design someone whipped up on one of those custom t-shirt websites. Either that or someone took an existing picture of a basic white hoodie and mocked up that design on it. The font is an extremely basic block font, and the swoosh and NBA logo both look too small. Hell, the swoosh isn't even the same shade of orange as the ball in the logo. Plus, the hoodie itself doesn't look like one of Nike's at all, and it just looks like a generic white sweatshirt instead. I'd say it's definitely fake.

Still, it's an improvement. I normally don't condone teams to simply go back to a logo/uniform set full-stop (with a couple small tweaks like putting the streaking sun logo in a ROUNDEL), but it would work wonders for the Suns. That said, the Suns' current uniforms are a few tweaks (purple on home uniforms, putting the front number in a simplified sun which could help utilize a third color on their regular home/road uniforms, removing the back stripes, etc.) from having a good modernization of their 1990s look.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, San Diego said:

These are all sweet 

numbers_1_130920.jpg?w=540

52031460-cleveland-cavaliers-shawn-kemp-

feb-2002-this-is-a-close-up-of-forward-r

Cleveland-Cavaliers-1999-2003-Road-Away-

Everything since has sucked. 

I hope the Cavs use these as their throwbacks for next year. Here's my thought... 1) The past two seasons have been 70s and then 80s. 2) We're living where could get away with wearing uniforms from the 90s and 3) I work in the team store and I've seen more 90s gear than ever before. We've always sold the classic 70s logo and the 80s CAVS, but hardly anything with the 90s logo on it. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

6 hours ago, San Diego said:

These are all sweet 

numbers_1_130920.jpg?w=540

52031460-cleveland-cavaliers-shawn-kemp-

feb-2002-this-is-a-close-up-of-forward-r

Cleveland-Cavaliers-1999-2003-Road-Away-

I wonder if the modern "C" came from the slash in the middle of that first 90s set. Though these sets is visually great, I associate them with the team I never picked on NBA JAM.

The newer motif is becoming a modern classic to me. All I hope is that they keep the "C" its such an iconic symbol. It's crazy how quick brands switch up nowadays, however as a logo head I welcome the change.

ATL

10 hours ago, sayahh said:

According to this photo sent in by a reader named Brett Knowles to UniWatch, it's going to go back to purple.  Not sure if primary logo or not, though.

DAD6qQ3XgAAbbNI.jpg

Fake or not this has me thinking...is it possible they move the primary logo into a roundel instead of the rhombus they've been using? The shooting sun itself seems much more conducive to being inside of a circle and I think that actually looks good.

17 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

Cavs with the V being a basket?

uni-wine-2015-16.png

So good.

I don't mind the V-basket logo as a throwback, but it seems out of place with the 'cavalier' theme. Over the course of the team's history they have gone in two completely different directions. Wine/Gold = Cavaliers, Blue/Orange = Generic Basketball. I think for the refresh they need to pick one or the other.

The 90's logo was pretty generic with the lightning bolt into the basket, that's probably why it's not showing up. I remember when it came out, a lot of us Cavs fans weren't really sure what it was trying to say. Whine and Gold are unique so I think that it stays. I'd prefer navy over black but whatever. 

11 hours ago, Quillz said:

I can't say I'm really a fan of the Blue Jays-esque split font the Cavs used to use.

I thought Adidas' current uni template can't accommodate split fonts for the jersey #s -- which is why Memphis had give up their split font #s.  Perhaps Nike has a viable solution.

3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Fake or not this has me thinking...is it possible they move the primary logo into a roundel instead of the rhombus they've been using? The shooting sun itself seems much more conducive to being inside of a circle and I think that actually looks good.

I really doubt that's legit. Based on what I've noticed on new merchandise released, specifically on hats, it looks like Phoenix is dropping yellow from their logos and changing it to orange and it looks like they've lightened their shade of purple and orange. 

A8B430E7-0C2D-448C-BF47-8A21BEB2EBD3-14173-00000DD38D4E4EDB_tmp.png.41cfc3b37e62032bb798a66836b9afc3.pngIMG_7396.JPG.6dc260d6beb735abf0ebe093afb9c8bc.JPGIMG_7428.thumb.PNG.d0981fb0bbe7aa53016f685fcdfe6427.PNG

18 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

As much as I like the current logo, I do feel that the Cavs do need an update. Especially, it works with the renovations coming up to the Q. I also hate that we use two different wordmarks for everything. We sell the logo wordmark in our store, but we also use the jersey wordmark on some t-shirts. I would like to see am updated version of the 2003 jerseys, but it won't happen. 

But isn't that kind of the Cavs' "thing" now? Being the Oregon Ducks of the NBA, constantly doing new things and changing styles. There's a different LeBron Cavs jersey for each day of the year it seems

^For anyone who doesn't wanna click through to the article:

IMG_4266.PNG.4112fd189fcd656862e861a9ac7167c5.PNGIMG_4267.PNG.6eec9b61f4574afa57bdbba596d44f35.PNG

Conrad is reporting that the Cavs' logo is their new "global" mark (not sure exactly what that means) and the same seems likely for the Spurs. He has also confirmed that the "CAVALIERS" wordmark in the above logo is what will be used on the new home uniforms. For reference, here's the current wordmark:

IMG_4269.PNG.1eb5b5185182f42699ecbe5ae97de438.PNG

I would assume there will be matching "CLEVELAND" and "CAVS" versions of the new wordmark as well. I was expecting the new wordmarks to be more stylized based on the information I received but they do seem to match the logos a bit more than the current. I'd say it's an upgrade, and I like the shield around the logo as well. Hopefully the current primary mark with the basketball is gone. I also like that the new logos for both teams seem to indicate that they're just doing subtle tweaks rather than doing more substantial overhauls to their logo packages. I would assume the same will go for both teams' uniforms as well. And obviously for the Cavs the c-sword logo is sticking around, which I think is a positive.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

^For anyone who doesn't wanna click through to the article:

IMG_4266.PNG.4112fd189fcd656862e861a9ac7167c5.PNGIMG_4267.PNG.6eec9b61f4574afa57bdbba596d44f35.PNG

Conrad is reporting that the Cavs' logo is their new "global" mark (not sure exactly what that means) and the same seems likely for the Spurs. He has also confirmed that the "CAVALIERS" wordmark in the above logo is what will be used on the new home uniforms. For reference, here's the current wordmark:

IMG_4269.PNG.1eb5b5185182f42699ecbe5ae97de438.PNG

I would assume there will be matching "CLEVELAND" and "CAVS" versions of the new wordmark as well. I was expecting the new wordmarks to be more stylized based on the information I received but they do seem to match the logos a bit more than the current. I'd say it's an upgrade, and I like the shield around the logo as well. Hopefully the current primary mark with the basketball is gone. I also like that the new logos for both teams seem to indicate that they're just doing subtle tweaks rather than doing more substantial overhauls to their logo packages. I would assume the same will go for both teams' uniforms as well. And obviously for the Cavs the c-sword logo is sticking around, which I think is a positive.

Ugh... Cleveland Cavaliers F.C.

I've never been a fan of the current Cavs logo. But just taking the old seconday logo and putting it in a shape seems lazy to me. Hopefully the full color official logo will look better than the monochrome stitched version. 

Guess the positive is that it's not a roundel. And aside from the Nets no other teams use a shield as the primary.

14 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

What's different about the Spurs? Just looks like the text was isolated from the rest of the logo

The text is thinner and elongated so it's not quite as squished down as it is in the current logos. Compare this:

IMG_4267.PNG.5c0f4179a0a76301613c68887cb3a9db.PNG

With this:

IMG_4272.JPG.db6b9c6390bb92ccba68d8476c84b9b9.JPG

And like Conrad says below, it's arched differently as well. It's more of a vertical arch in the new logo, rather than radial.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

What's different about the Spurs? Just looks like the text was isolated from the rest of the logo

The current Spurs global logo doesn't use a block typeface. It's a curved-edge typeface. And the text is curved differently in the old logo.

And yea, you're right Jonah, the current ball with sword and text on top is gone from the branding.

As for the look of this new logo in full color...meh, it's alright. I can't post that online yet, unfortunately. Will do once it's leaked somewhere other than from me, lol.

8 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

The current Spurs global logo doesn't use a block typeface. It's a curved-edge typeface. And the text is curved differently in the old logo.

And yea, you're right Jonah, the current ball with sword and text on top is gone from the branding.

As for the look of this new logo in full color...meh, it's alright. I can't post that online yet, unfortunately. Will do once it's leaked somewhere other than from me, lol.

Glad to hear that Cavs' logo will be gone from the branding. That's been my least favorite of their set since it was first unveiled in '03. It never really meshed with the rest of their logo package, mainly because the ball seemed so forced into the primary.

Also, can we assume the "global logo" designation is fairly comparable to "primary"? Or are they different?

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived