NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

Both of the shields are different shapes and drawn horribly. This is a huge downgrade.

Most of the apparel with the new logo seems to be mainly black and wine. Very small amounts of gold. Hopefully this isn't a hint at the new uniforms.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ark said:

It's sad that the Cavaliers are getting new logos and uniforms.

Their current set is the best in the league.

Whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, bowld said:

Pretty gross. Looks like nothing more than a cash grab to get fans to buy another jersey with updated wordmarks

Should it be that much of a surprise? I'm pretty sure LeBron's worn 100s of alternates between Cleveland and Miami over the years. It's a total cash grab. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

It would be a lot easier to evaluate the Cavs' new logos if we saw the entire new visual identity -- including uniforms and court design -- rolled out at once. 

Brief thoughts for now:

- Why use white letters for "CLEVELAND CAVALIERS" in the global logo when white isn't used anywhere else in the logo package as even an accent?

- Why does the sword cut off in the background? 

- Why have a gold stroke around "CAVS" but not around the primary wordmarks?

I'd say the wordmarks are a definite improvement, if nothing else because they're a bit more designed and visually interesting than what's currently on the uniforms. They still don't match the 'C' in the logos all that well, but again, better than the current. I'm pretty indifferent towards the new logo set as a whole, though. I like the idea behind the shield, but continuing to use black and navy together is a serious mistake, especially when they're used together in the same logo. The white text in the global logo is also a pretty big mistake. And like @VDizzle12 said, the shield shapes don't match and neither looks particularly well drawn. But anyways, I just hope the black is restricted to the one alternate uniform, and I guess the court as well since they could easily just tweak the one they unveiled for this season. Their current uniforms are already fairly nice but a bit uninspired, so hopefully they just tweak them and make them a bit more designed to match the new wordmarks. And since they're apparently sticking with both navy and black as accent colors, hopefully they keep the primary home and road uniforms, and the gold alternate as well, just wine and gold (and obviously white for the home) with the navy only appearing in the logo on the shorts. I can live with them continuing to have both the navy and black alternate uniforms, but I just don't want to see the two colors being used together in anything other than the global logo. So I'd prefer they continue using just wine and gold for the primary uniforms, or if they must add either navy or black as a more prominent accent, then go with navy and reserve black for the updated Pride alternate.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

28 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

It would be a lot easier to evaluate the Cavs' new logos if we saw the entire new visual identity -- including uniforms and court design -- rolled out at once. 

Brief thoughts for now:

- Why use white letters for "CLEVELAND CAVALIERS" in the global logo when white isn't used anywhere else in the logo package as even an accent?

- Why does the sword cut off in the background? 

- Why have a gold stroke around "CAVS" but not around the primary wordmarks?

My guess on the stroke around "CAVS" is because it is going on a navy or black jersey.

Just now, rcb05 said:

My guess on the stroke around "CAVS" is because it is going on a navy or black jersey.

Probably, but that was a necessary addition to the wordmark on the current navy jersey which was added to an existing set with no strokes around the wordmarks. If you're creating a whole new set, there's no excuse for the inconsistency on Day 1.

2 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Probably, but that was a necessary addition to the wordmark on the current navy jersey which was added to an existing set with no strokes around the wordmarks. If you're creating a whole new set, there's no excuse for the inconsistency on Day 1.

The more I look at it, the more I think they may just update the wordmarks/numbers on the uniforms but leave everything else alone. These marks plug right in to their existing set pretty seamlessly.

27 minutes ago, JoeDGemma said:

Here's a few quick mockups of the Cavs new wordmarks on their current set which is rumored to be the direction the team is going. IMG_1484.thumb.JPG.5116409c66d6a71cfbd0e4f1e71f8b09.JPGIMG_1485.thumb.JPG.6e3b28cd2b7991914e2878141101a781.JPG

See, even if that's all they do to the uniforms, I'd still call them a huge upgrade just because of how uninspired the current wordmarks and number font are. In my ideal world they'd add some side panels to the shorts to better match their original uniforms, but I'd be willing to bet the base design stays pretty much the same. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived