Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

5 hours ago, rcb05 said:

Anyone else think the shading on this shield makes it look like a dreidel?

That logo belongs on a nike tshirt you find at Ross

15 hours ago, JoeDGemma said:

Here's a few quick mockups of the Cavs new wordmarks on their current set which is rumored to be the direction the team is going. IMG_1484.thumb.JPG.5116409c66d6a71cfbd0e4f1e71f8b09.JPGIMG_1485.thumb.JPG.6e3b28cd2b7991914e2878141101a781.JPG

Something I noticed in this mockup is that the wordmark and numbers kinda look like they were carved with sword. Say what you will but that's way more character than the current uniforms ever had.

RE: Cavs New Logos

The Global Logo

• Introduce a shield which has no context to the city of Cleveland or a Cavalier... but fine.

• The new font is a prisoner of the times and will never last the test of time. The current font they are using is far superior.

• The C-Sword logo is a fantastic logo, but much of the sword is lost in the word mark portion of the shield.

Overall: Downgrade

Primary Logo

• Great logo, very happy they replaced the navy with black.

Overall: Upgrade

Partial Logo

• As a partial or third logo, its fine. Again, upgrade changing the navy to black.

Overall: Upgrade

Secondary Logo

• Why is the shape of the shield different than the Global Logo?

• Why is navy suddenly back in this logo?

• The basketball seams are a nice look, but the C appear to clutter up the logo. It just looks like there is too much. And is the shading of the C black? Not a good look, Cavs.

Word Marks

• The font is a prisoner of the moment. The sharp edges will not stand the test of time and will have to be redesigned within the next 5 years. Not a wise move for what will be considered the glory years of the franchise.

Miscellaneous

• Where is the Sword-Flag logo? It wasn't perfect, but could have benefited from some minor tweaks and would have been one of the best logos in the game.

Overall

Massive downgrade. The current shades of wine and gold definitely compliment black better than navy. The navy uniforms look like a circus tent. In that sense, its an upgrade. However the new shield Global Logo and Secondary Logo are massive downgrades to the current Global Logo and Sword-Flag logo.

A terrible, terrible re-branding by the Cavs. What should have been an iconic look in Cleveland and Ohio sports history has now become even more muddled and less unique. None of these uniforms, logos, or wordmarks will stand the test of time or become icons.  Its an utter shame that one of the games greatest players will have no signature uniform, logo, or even color pallet. 

12 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

R.I.P. to my favorite Cavs logo...

2003 - 2017 

Cavs Logo 2003-17.png

Change the navy to black and fix the neutered C... and its a nearly perfect logo.

It's really hard to tell because they are both so dark:

Is navy still the accent in all the logos or is it black now? I thought they just added black to the pallet and kept the navy as is. Kinda confused, which is a great sign for an identity!

I don't really agree with the lack of timelessness on the font. Like, perhaps you're right and it won't last, but the current font blows IMO. It seems like something more fit for a coffee shop or a new app rather an than a sports team. Not timeless at all, very modern/minimalist.

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Primary Logo

• Great logo, very happy they replaced the navy with black.

Partial Logo

• As a partial or third logo, its fine. Again, upgrade changing the navy to black.

Secondary Logo

• Why is navy suddenly back in this logo?

16 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

It's really hard to tell because they are both so dark:

Is navy still the accent in all the logos or is it black now? I thought they just added black to the pallet and kept the navy as is. Kinda confused, which is a great sign for an identity!

The 3D shading on the 'C' is still navy in all of the logos. Ditto for the shading on the sword in the primary and global logos. The only place that black appears in the new logo set is in the background of the shield in the global logo.

I like this. Cleveland should have changed the logo with the uniforms in 2010, never liked the re-colored ball and sword. Black on some logos and navy on others is a little bizarre, I'd prefer one or the other but have no real preference between the two.

However, the number fonts from those mockups above are crap. Reminds me of the alarm clock numbers on the Buccaneers uniforms.

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Something I noticed in this mockup is that the wordmark and numbers kinda look like they were carved with sword. Say what you will but that's way more character than the current uniforms ever had.

Reminds me of the Jaguars font  

The new font is a big improvement. The old one was literally a free font that they adjusted the line weight on. That whole identity felt rushed and slapped together from day one. The new font looks like actual effort was put in to make something unique to the Cavs. Let's hope the uniforms follow suit.

So, basically, the Cavs are about to dress like the Miami Heat, but also kept navy for who the hell knows what reason. 

Yeah, this is a GARBAGE update. What they had with the original Lebron set was close to perfect. They've done nothing but downgrade ever since. 

This is such a huge huge downgrade. What a waste. It's almost like they copied the Tampa Bay Buccaneers type font and slapped it in their new brand.

I will say that I do think the Cavs current uniform set is in the top 5 looks in the NBA. Now... It may be in the bottom 5 after this. 

What a waste to make something great.

Hmmm... What's the over/under odds the Cavs redo their brand again before LeBron retires? Two...Three... haha

Not feeling the updated logo set AT ALL. Neither I do the wordmarks, which fit a team called the 'Spartans' or the 'Gladiators', but not the 'Cavaliers'. The old primary logo wasn't anything special, but it was solid. This new global logo is total crap. Won't reiterate everything that's wrong about this logo set that has already been said here. The ball-shield looks like a quick afterthought. And those who saw that the new 'Portland' wordmark was afwully spaced, brace youselves, this 'Cavs' wordmark blows it out of the water.

Like Bucfan said it above, the first identity of the LeBron era was the best the Cavs have had by far. Looks like another Cavs identity period in a row coming for me without buying a jersey...

0/2 for Nike so far.

The Cavs have too many colors.  Now the black's more official.  Looks like they're still using the blue...ugh.

Their primaries are so beautiful and it seems like someone on the team must be allergic to the roads.  I wish they'd just wear those two (and maybe the yellow "Cavs" jersey).  The darker colors really diminish the vivid beauty of the wine and yellow.  Boooooo.

Also, it seems like strange timing to introduce the "future" when the present is so important.  They're not the Timberwolves.

Just now, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Any word on what the Cavs will be wearing tonight?  I'm gonna guess the black uniforms, considering they just unveiled a new black logo.

Blue

16 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I guess it could be worse...

faemq40pf86689pq4z8550l5i.png

I would've liked to have seen them use this lighter blue as an accent color, and replace the uses of navy with black.

The beveling on the 'CAVS' wordmark has me wondering if this is something similar to what we might see from the Portland Trail Blazers when they employ their supporting color palette -- I think someone on here already mentioned how the Team USA jerseys by Nike had beveled wordmarks and numerals. Really excited to see what kind of new materials and technology Nike implements with the template. 

IMG_4441.JPG

I don't know if this was discussed, but the new Grizzlies G-League team will be the Memphis Hustle. 

IMG_1297.PNG.ca7b4210320592ea7d3633b2811c4ce6.PNG

Edited by The AFC South