NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

7 minutes ago, BucksFan5 said:

I saw a Cavs prospect/developmental player yesterday at work. He was wearing a new Nike shirt that looked very close to this concept I threw together. The shirt was black with the new wordmark and the new shield logo above it. 

Cavs Shirt.png

Looks like a euro soccer jersey.  

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/7/2017 at 8:03 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The only good uniforms the Suns ever had:

Related image  Image result for phoenix suns walter davis

The only thing that would improve these uniforms would to be changing the numbers to a western font like the letters.

Everything else should be the exact same.

6 hours ago, Webfooter said:

Considering they got rid of the silver from the logo, I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone from the uniforms as well.

Agreed. Could be similar to my estimation from a while back (with an ad logo being placed on the left collarbone, of course)...

Big follower of the boards here for years, but I finally made the jump to an account to post and be a part of the community. As far as the new league logo, does anyone know why the change to the font was even made? I understand the colors fitting with what Nike can do. However, did the designers of the font think about its use on multiple applications such as tv logos and merchandise because if so, I don't know how they decided it was an upgrade. It's great to make a first post in the boards.

1 hour ago, IceBurgs70 said:

These are so much better than the red patch. I would still prefer it if the patch color matched the jersey color.

That's ideal, but I'm honestly willing to meet in the middle and accept some contrast as long as the ad patch is still in team colors a la the Celtics' General Electric patch. 

On 7/9/2017 at 8:08 PM, dont care said:

You most certainly can have both, there are plenty of the new wordmarks that utilized custom/creative fonts that a more legible and professional looking as well. The wizards, Atlanta, magic, pistons (that's actually the same font just at a different angle and removing ugly exhaust pipes, the grizzlies too have a creative font as well. Their are examples in other sports too, the patriots past wordmarks had a creative use of adding their logo to a very professional script wordmark. The capitals displays the use of hockey sticks and pucks while still using a very easy to read font. Anaheim ducks use a duck foot D with their wordmark. The Carolina panthers went from a very dated scratch looking wordmark that was difficult to read to a legible font that instead has sctratches incorporated into the letter. I could keep going

i think youre missing my point. and the exhaust pipes fit in with the teams branding whether you like it or not. And the new pistons font is literally 95% the same they used int he 90s. my point is too have more professional fonts you have to dumb down the assets. If you think any of the teams you mentioned have a more "fun/unique" font I dont know what youre looking at. Grizzlies? you think that the current grizzlies font is better than the one they had in vancouver? really? and the magic? how dare you. the orlando's ealry 90s font is leaps and bounds over their current one. I'll give you credit for any other team being more fun and more professional, except for the 95 magic font. the new one took 3 steps back

(not here to complain!) you guys can call it cartoonish that doesnt really bother me. New NBA all teams are red white and blue and use the most basic letter forms. teal taken out of grizzlies. purple taken out of toronto. gold taken out of washington. my biggest example is the nets rebrand. they went from decent to black and white? thats really all they could do? ive seen blue as an accent in new mock ups of the nets logos and it looks so much better!

41ef0c1f-4ef8-464d-8d8a-2552b7752d2b.jpg

also somebody tell me this. if we on this site can come up with better ideas for uses of logos, fonts, jerseys, etc. And the people at adidas, nike, and the like make something so ugly (clippers 2015) am i missing something here? the fans make better jerseys than the executives who's jobs are to re brand jerseys. (not here to complain!) (you guys are better than the pros!)

The needs of other stakeholders don't always match the needs of a message board of design enthusiasts, it's 100% fine that jerseys in 2017 don't look like they came out of a '90s remote-control toy aisle at Walmart, and all of this is kind of off topic.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived