Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

3 hours ago, dont care said:

I don't see a giant ad across the Cavs shirt

Yet...

On 7/9/2017 at 0:57 PM, jmatt116 said:

Old wordmarks vs current. I dont want to be THAT guy who complains about the way logos, fonts, courts, jerseys are going but to ME they are going down hill. someone has to agree? If you think the new wordmarks are better, that is ok. my main point is they are ALL SO BASIC. the only new one i like more is the new orleans pelicans, that is an amazing colors and it fits into new orleans culture real well. I want to do a side by side of jerseys next. LOGO DESIGN IS GETTING MORE AND MORE BASIC. times have changed. whoever told me to keep my 90s ideas in the 90s! I WILL NEVER! Long live great design!

logos.jpg

Well minimalism is in now, so I'm sure that had to do with some of the updates.  Some of the old ones are so bad that it doesn't matter what artistic style they were going for - they just ended up with childish nonsense (Timberwolves, Grizzlies for example.)

Of those, the only old ones I prefer are Cavaliers (by FAR), Raptors, Orlando, and maybe Sacramento but probably not.

I'm probably the only fan of that old Sixers wordmark, but (at least for them, not in a vacuum), it's inferior to the plain block one they now use.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Of those, the only old ones I prefer are Cavaliers (by FAR), Raptors, Orlando, and maybe Sacramento but probably not.

Agreed on the first three, and I like the new Sacremento font too.  

There's a point where too much minimalism loses its cool and just becomes boring.  

On 7/9/2017 at 7:24 PM, jmatt116 said:

yes they dont look professional but they are fun. do you want the whole NBA to use times new roman, calibri, and garamond? you get professional and legible or creative and fun, you cannot have both

fake news. (also, non of those fonts mentioned are used in any of the designs posted)

what i see in the examples is the craft of the wordmarks has improved greatly. so many of the old marks were either really badly put together (the Raptors mark seems to be sliding off the arc it sits on), designed by someone/team with little knowledge of type, or were over stylized, featuring so many strokes and colors that they are unreadable. too many are far from being timeless and were doomed to be dated from the beginning.

but i also see a lack of imagination; a loss of concept and artistic flair. thats pretty common in all design niches today though. i think NBA identities should have a sense of professionalism and should be designed appropriately for the grown men wearing it, but it should not be forgotten that this is a game of the streets that is more synonymous with graffiti and hip-hop than suit and tie. when you combine the right attitude/personality with craft and concept, you hit the sweet spot. i think the Nets, Hornets, Kings (maybe a few others) all do that well from top to bottom. 

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

I think from a Chinese New Year celebration of some sort.  My guess is either 2003 or 2004, only because of that Bobcats jersey next to it

It's Japanese and without looking it up I thought that it might have read "Nintendo" on it because I was thinking about the Mariners but I doubt it.

Conrad posted where it came from (thanks!) but I still don't know what it says but I'm guessing it was never worn in a game.

When Nike takes over this upcoming season, there will be no labels to uniforms, this means no home, away, alternate uniforms. Each uniform will be equal and can be worn anywhere as many times or as little as the team wants. Teams will of course have to coordinate to make sure no same colour match ups happen.

Nike-NBA-logo_original.jpg

14 minutes ago, the_Raptors_king said:

When Nike takes over this upcoming season, there will be no labels to uniforms, this means no home, away, alternate uniforms. Each uniform will be equal and can be worn anywhere as many times or as little as the team wants. Teams will of course have to coordinate to make sure no same colour match ups happen.

Sources?

33 minutes ago, the_Raptors_king said:

truth.

39 minutes ago, the_Raptors_king said:

I can get behind a world where the Bulls wear red nearly full time (Knicks in blue, Lakers in yellow, Spurs in black, etc). If this is a thing I just hope that teams strongly recognized by a certain look go that way heavily. It would be an interesting test of how well the franchises know themselves. Do the Rockets know that they should be wearing red as much as possible? Would the Heat all but jettison their white uniforms?

40 minutes ago, the_Raptors_king said:

Interesting. I guess it's pretty much been a free-for-all the last few years anyway, so this just makes it official if true. It's certainly no longer been the David Stern era of strict uniform/logo rules.

I'm pretty confident that most teams, especially the flagship franchises, will still wear their traditional home and away uniforms most of the time. Can't imagine the Lakers ever wearing their purple uniforms at home, for one. 

31 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I'm pretty confident that most teams, especially the flagship franchises, will still wear their traditional home and away uniforms most of the time. Can't imagine the Lakers ever wearing their purple uniforms at home, for one. 

xunri9gabhifhz2esdw2eh91y.gif

Don't know how that's relevant, but I do quite like the script on that uniform. Always have.

I would love to see more Color vs. Color matchups. And, please, no road teams wearing their white jerseys. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

2 hours ago, RichO said:

I can get behind a world where the Bulls wear red nearly full time (Knicks in blue, Lakers in yellow, Spurs in black, etc). If this is a thing I just hope that teams strongly recognized by a certain look go that way heavily. It would be an interesting test of how well the franchises know themselves. Do the Rockets know that they should be wearing red as much as possible? Would the Heat all but jettison their white uniforms?

Definitely Celtics wearing green and Clippers invariably wearing garbage.

58 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

xunri9gabhifhz2esdw2eh91y.gif

Even though they never won a championship in these, they're still one of my favorite uniforms.

4 hours ago, the_Raptors_king said:

I'm gonna take a risk and #trustyou on this, but to have a jersey schedule, there will need to labels for uniforms, right?  If a team, say Miami, has two white uniforms, will it be "White 1" and "White 2"?  Or maybe "Uniform 1" and "Uniform 3"?  Based on this info, it can't be "Home 1" and "Alt 1".  

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

I'm gonna take a risk and #trustyou on this, but to have a jersey schedule, there will need to labels for uniforms, right?  If a team, say Miami, has two white uniforms, will it be "White 1" and "White 2"?  Or maybe "Uniform 1" and "Uniform 3"?  Based on this info, it can't be "Home 1" and "Alt 1".  

You dont have to have a jersey schedule