What's the next great sports story?

EvilChameleon

So, this year alone, we have had Cleveland finally winning a title, and the Cubs winning a World Series after 100+ years.

What's the next great sports story to tell? Would it be the Browns making the playoffs? The Sonics returning to Seattle and making the playoffs?

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

I think the only one that comes to mind, which may not be universally celebrated, is if Tiger Woods remembers how to golf and goes on a majors tear that redeems his fall from grace, returning him as one of the all-timers in sports.  

The other great sports stories haven't quite developed yet or need to be cultivated organically over the course of a season and/or playoff series.  

Personally I'd love to see a team like the Oakland Raiders, Florida Panthers, Columbus Blue Jackets, and yes the Cleveland Indians (or whatever they're called next) get theirs.  I'm sure I'd eat those words if they came at the expense of the Bears/Cubs/Blackhawks, but that's sports.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Toronto Maple Leafs. Stanley Cup Champions.

They're due as hell, sure, but still.  1967 is not 1940-something.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The NFL has some good droughts going on, which is what happens when only 6 franchises own 28 of the 50 Super Bowls. I'd separate into different tiers of pain though

Tier1: Most Deserving

Lions, Browns, Bills

Tier2: Had Some Moments, Never Won the Big One

Vikings, The City of Houston, Bengals, Chargers, Falcons, Eagles,

Tier3: You Suck, But At Least You've Won a Super Bowl

Chiefs, Jets, Dolphins, Raiders, Bears, 

Tier4: You Inherited Stink, But Your City Hasn't Waited That Long

Titans, Cardinals, Jaguars, Panthers

PvO6ZWJ.png

The most likely in the NFL would be Detroit winning the NFC North and getting to the Super Bowl. I think if they made it, not even won it, you'd see them get the same type of coverage that the Cubs got this year. 

For baseball, the Indians winning next year or the Cubs repeating would be the biggest stories, especially if either team had to beat the Red Sox or Yankees to claim the title. 

In NBA basketball, any team not named the Cavs, Warriors, Spurs or Lakers winning would be big news. If it's a team that's been Pre-2014 Warriors bad, even better. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

CS85 is on the more correct track as the "next big sports story" is really not going to be a team.

The Maple Leafs, Browns, Lions, Indians, England's football team and others are lesser stories than this:

A male team sport (super)star who is openly gay.  It can be any North American team sport, or globally like soccer, but his journey is not just big in terms of sport, but also who society will deal with his performance. 

Michael Sam was only on a Practice Squad for a season, Robbie Rogers is a bit player, and Jason Collins was a journeyman who only on a 10-day contract with the Nets after coming out. 

How about either of San Diego's teams winning. They've both been waiting close to, and over half a century, and the Padres in particular have endured far more bad years than good. This town still talks about the failures in the 1984 World Series,  1998 World Series and Super Bowl XXIX like they were some magical achievements. Having to fondly remember failure is just sad.

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

CS85 is on the more correct track as the "next big sports story" is really not going to be a team.

The Maple Leafs, Browns, Lions, Indians, England's football team and others are lesser stories than this:

A male team sport (super)star who is openly gay.  It can be any North American team sport, or globally like soccer, but his journey is not just big in terms of sport, but also who society will deal with his performance. 

Michael Sam was only on a Practice Squad for a season, Robbie Rogers is a bit player, and Jason Collins was a journeyman who only on a 10-day contract with the Nets after coming out. 

would be interesting to see (and i hope its not some great superstar at the end his career)  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Cowboys, Buccaneers, Washington Pro Football Team.

I didn't include them because I feel like their championships are all too recent. If fans in their 30's remember the last one then they're doing okay.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

A promising star showing promising talent, only to suffer a serious injury that questions his future, but then is able to come back after a few years and wins a championship (either with himself or a team).

Archived