infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 9

infrared41

Week 9 was a decent return to form after a couple of subpar weeks. Things should pick up a little more once all the bye weeks are out of the way. There was some serious competition for all the spots on the best list this week.  I went back and forth quite a bit in choosing where each game was ranked on the best list. If I didn't think ties are a total cop-out, this week's best list would have been 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, and so on. And in what appears to be a very nice trend in 2016, we get another week with a very short worst list. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. 

Best:

1. Cowboys - Browns: This one might be a "controversial" choice.  I'm still a long way from liking the entire set, but certain Browns combos are really growing on me.  Add in an all too rare appearance from the Cowboys blue jerseys and matching colors, some rare November sunshine in Ohio, and this game is my choice for the best looking game of the week. That rare November sunshine in Ohio was the difference. I thought the colors in this game really popped and worked very well together.

dssL8Ez.jpg

2. Colts - Packers: Can't believe this match up was only good for the #2 spot this week. I went back and forth on putting this game at #1, but the sunlight in the Cowboys - Browns game was the difference. Better light at Lambeau and this game takes the top spot. This one is definitely in the "every game should look this good" category. 

F12Bx7I.jpg

3. Eagles - Giants: Another case of sunlight making the difference. If I were simply ranking the uniforms, Minnesota would be ahead of both these teams. But I rank the games based on which ones I think look best overall and this one got the ever so slight nod over #4. 

a3ZU7HA.jpg

4. Lions - Vikings: Like the #2 game, better light probably moves this one up a spot. Still a really good looking game. With any luck, the Lions will follow the Vikings lead with the new uniforms. 

qjBdAZv.jpg

5. Panthers - Rams: With any luck, the rumors are true and the Rams are going back to blue and white in 2019. Not a bad looking game at all.

08bhXWZ.jpg

Worst:

Falcons - Buccaneers: To the surprise of no one, this week's worst list features another Color Rush game. I still can't get over just how different Atlanta's Color Rush uniforms are from it's normal road uniforms. Wow. Nike really went nuts with the Falcons for this one. B)

oAupYtS.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

Does anyone else feel like the Cowboys, I guess road jersey, is too busy and dated? The two outlines around the numbers, the wordmark that could be white instead of white-bordered, the 5-striped collar, and the sleeve caps with stripes AND a logo... the jersey feels more like a cousin of the 9ers old look than it does contemporary, and I think it gets more credit than it deserves simply because the colors match.

1 minute ago, C-Squared said:

Does anyone else feel like the Cowboys, I guess road jersey, is too busy and dated? The two outlines around the numbers, the wordmark that could be white instead of white-bordered, the 5-striped collar, and the sleeve caps with stripes AND a logo... the jersey feels more like a cousin of the 9ers old look than it does contemporary, and I think it gets more credit than it deserves simply because the colors match.

In a way I can see that, but I still think it looks sharp. The thing that separates it from the 49ers 90s look is that it doesn't use black. That 9ers uniform darkened the red and then added black, muddying the whole thing. Navy, silver, and white, on the other hand, all compliment each other very nicely.

47 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I agree with pretty much all this.  I understand why everyone bitches about the Cowboys' mismatched colors, but I don't get why it seems most people's go-to solution would be to redesign the white jersey in the dark jersey colors.  Navy and silver is a nice enough color scheme, I suppose, but it's not exactly unique.  But if you go back to the 70's, Dallas had a truly unique color scheme... royal blue and metallic blue-silver.  Back then, they had no trouble getting the colors to match.  This was before they went with the nasty greenish pants.  Check it out...

3a701a6a74e5217b6fe48044b5fcb28b.jpg

That helmet definitely has a bit of blue in it... not just a standard silver shell... and matches the pants very well.

And my perfect would, Dallas cleans up their color scheme by revisiting this classic look.  All blues would be a slightly dark royal, all grays would be a slightly blue silver.  And as for the occasionally needed dark jersey, just update this awesome look...

c36788c7fcdaa9796ab34a1fe146bb3b.jpg

(And I hear it's safe now for me to bring up how great those sock stripes are.)

58 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Yeah, a little bit. The "road" look would benefit from a few tweaks.  I'd also be fine (thrilled, actually) with doing what OldSchool suggested and going with something based on the Cowboys 60's look. That being said, I still think the Cowboys "road" uniforms look really good. 

BB52Big.jpg

I think the only reason the Cowboys' road jerseys haven't been changed since the 90's - and why they've gotten so little attention, in general - is that they are worn very rarely, and only begrudgingly when the Cowboys are "forced" into it by their opponents. If they wore those uniforms for all 8 home games, I can almost guarantee that they'd have been changed by now. I'm not sure I even realized how dated they look until seeing this week's game.

The changes that @oldschoolvikings laid out would be tremendous. Standardizing the colors across all uniforms, and making the blue jersey an inverse of the white, would instantly make the Cowboys one of the best looking teams in the NFL. I'd personally go with the Cowboys' current rarely-seen silver (road) pants, but the shade from the 70's would work as well.

On 11/9/2016 at 9:23 PM, C-Squared said:

for sure, but this jersey suffers from the same things a lot of NFL jerseys do. mostly though, the numbers are hard to read and the sleeve stripes were designed for a sleeve, not a shoulder. so it's problems are not really unique but if Dallas were to ever do anything with the home uniform, i would hope they would fix the road as well. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 11/9/2016 at 9:09 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree with pretty much all this.  I understand why everyone bitches about the Cowboys' mismatched colors, but I don't get why it seems most people's go-to solution would be to redesign the white jersey in the dark jersey colors.  Navy and silver is a nice enough color scheme, I suppose, but it's not exactly unique.  But if you go back to the 70's, Dallas had a truly unique color scheme... royal blue and metallic blue-silver.  Back then, they had no trouble getting the colors to match.  This was before they went with the nasty greenish pants.  Check it out...

3a701a6a74e5217b6fe48044b5fcb28b.jpg

That helmet definitely has a bit of blue in it... not just a standard silver shell... and matches the pants very well.

And my perfect would, Dallas cleans up their color scheme by revisiting this classic look.  All blues would be a slightly dark royal, all grays would be a slightly blue silver.  And as for the occasionally needed dark jersey, just update this awesome look...

c36788c7fcdaa9796ab34a1fe146bb3b.jpg

(And I hear it's safe now for me to bring up how great those sock stripes are.)

I think the Cowboys should drop royal blue and silver from their current uniforms and use just navy blue and silver-green plus the white should have used navy blue instead of royal blue. Change out the royal blue, white, and royal blue piping on the silver-green pants to navy blue, white, navy blue and you have a winner.

Archived