2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread: This is March.

RyanMcD29

In terms of coaching, Illinois strikes first in getting Brad Underwood from Oklahoma State.

This time last year, Underwood was making $400K at Stephen F. Austin. He moved to Okie State for $1 million, reallly low for a Power 5 coach, even with them paying Travis Ford a buyout. Ford wad making $2.4M the year prior.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/oklahoma-state-coach-brad-underwood-s-contract-former-coach-travis/article_a615c136-3430-50f8-b453-862fde31006d.html

Now at Illinois for $3M.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hats off to Northwestern. They got their first ever tournament win, while also giving Gonzaga everything they could handle (in the 2nd half).

I'd say that's something, for being a first timer and all.

46 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Hats off to Northwestern. They got their first ever tournament win, while also giving Gonzaga everything they could handle (in the 2nd half).

I'd say that's something, for being a first timer and all.

What goes with your first ever ncaa tournament won?

The first NCAA tournament loss!

And yet again, UVa is unwatchable*.

*-For any "I like NCAA basketball over the NBA" guy, watch two UVa games and come back to me.

I am officially getting sick of the irrational praise being heaped on Mark Few.

He makes the tournament every year?  With how awful the WCC is of course he does.  Only 5/10 teams in the conference finished the regular season over .500 with the bottom 4 at 13-18, 9-22, 11-22, and 11-22.  Pacific, Santa Clara, and San Francisco all had a new coach this year and other than Few, Bennett, and Rose no coach has a tenure longer than 5 years max.

In Few's tenure, he's only cracked the Elite Eight once.  He was bounced from the first round 3 times, bounced from the second round 8 times, and made 6 Sweet Sixteens.  Since he took over for Monson Marquette, Louisville, George Mason, Memphis, Butler, VCU, and Wichita State managed to get Final Four bids from mid major conferences (counting C-USA as one).

All I keep hearing from the talking heads is how amazing a job that he's doing with what he has and how he has such life balance with his fly fishing hobby.  This leads me to two conclusions: 1. Gonzaga has topped out in where it can go from the WCC and needs to look into upgrading its conference to have a shot at growth, and 2. Few is complacent with being a perennial choker and won't look for a better job since it would add to his workload and take away from his hobbies.  If that's what he wants to do with his life, that's fine.  Let's just stop giving him credit for overcoming obstacles that he put on his own success.

VmWIn6B.png

35 minutes ago, LMU said:

I am officially getting sick of the irrational praise being heaped on Mark Few.

He makes the tournament every year?  With how awful the WCC is of course he does.  Only 5/10 teams in the conference finished the regular season over .500 with the bottom 4 at 13-18, 9-22, 11-22, and 11-22.  Pacific, Santa Clara, and San Francisco all had a new coach this year and other than Few, Bennett, and Rose no coach has a tenure longer than 5 years max.

In Few's tenure, he's only cracked the Elite Eight once.  He was bounced from the first round 3 times, bounced from the second round 8 times, and made 6 Sweet Sixteens.  Since he took over for Monson Marquette, Louisville, George Mason, Memphis, Butler, VCU, and Wichita State managed to get Final Four bids from mid major conferences (counting C-USA as one).

All I keep hearing from the talking heads is how amazing a job that he's doing with what he has and how he has such life balance with his fly fishing hobby.  This leads me to two conclusions: 1. Gonzaga has topped out in where it can go from the WCC and needs to look into upgrading its conference to have a shot at growth, and 2. Few is complacent with being a perennial choker and won't look for a better job since it would add to his workload and take away from his hobbies.  If that's what he wants to do with his life, that's fine.  Let's just stop giving him credit for overcoming obstacles that he put on his own success.

Devil's advocate...

1- He picked up the program from Dan Monson who took the $$$ from Minnesota and has never replicated the success.

2- Gonzaga pays him VERY well and the team doesn't fly commercial. Why leave?

3- He has only been given a 1 seed twice, thus his teams haven't been thought of good enough to make a Final Four. The first time as a #1, he played a underseeded Wichita State. A team which not only made the Final Four, but also had three dudes drafted by the NBA (Baker, Early, and Van Vleet). Six of the eight #1/2 seeds would've lost to the Shockers that year.

Few makes the most of his teams.

4- While the draw is basically random, but non-Power 5 schools are at a disadvantage since there are less folks on the committee. Illinois State failed to make it due to committee diligence.

Coaching. Matters.

Johnny Jones did such a terrible job at LSU with Ben Simmons, if you gave him Gonzaga's talent, he'd have screwed it up. Jones would have found a way to mess up Karnowski/Wiltjer.

You think Ben Simmons would have probably made the tourney last year if he was being coached by Mark Few?

8 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Coaching. Matters.

Johnny Jones did such a terrible job at LSU with Ben Simmons, if you gave him Gonzaga's talent, he'd have screwed it up. Jones would have found a way to mess up Karnowski/Wiltjer.

You think Ben Simmons would have probably made the tourney last year if he was being coached by Mark Few?

To a degree as the coach fails to align his talent. Every kid at LSU has been told they're Lottery talent since 9th grade and their inability to work with Simmons was apparent after the game at Barclays when he passed the ball up for the better shot.

This year's potential draftees have the same issue as Simmons, yet they were born in the US and couldn't stay away from the NCAA system. Granted, the Simmons' documentary shot while a Freshman indicated he really never went to class, but did it as a favor to his Godfather, who was a Jones asst. coach.

Dennis Smith, Jr. balled out on a $hitty NC State team as Markelle Fultz played on a poor Washington team.  All three dudes got canned.

Which conference could Gonzaga upgrade to?

Pac-12: No

Mountain West: No

Big West: Would actually be a downgrade.

Big East: Why the hell not. Nobody gives a :censored: about geography anymore.

7 minutes ago, Wings said:

Which conference could Gonzaga upgrade to?

Pac-12: No

Mountain West: No

Big West: Would actually be a downgrade.

Big East: Why the hell not. Nobody gives a :censored: about geography anymore.

I think an upgrade is pretty much out of the question here. Football is what drives realignment and Gonzaga doesn't have a football program. There's only so much you can do with this school.

I like to think that they're happy where they are because the entire WCC has similar ideals (all the members are private schools with religious ties)

On one hand- DUKE LOST

On the other hand- is there any reason for me to care about the East region? I mean, good god, freaking Wisconsin might be the favorite in that region after basically sucking for 1.5 months.

Seriously, whoever gets out of MSG will probably be a big underdog against the West Region.

Upsets are a mixed bag- you love them initially, but the ensuing matchups can sometimes be less than desired.

Archived