NBA First Alternate Jerseys

eibram

Let's just take a look at each team's first attempt at adding an alternate jersey and choose the best (or worst):

Celtics:

hi-res-56635451_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=4

Clippers:

ricky-davis.jpg

Hornets/Pelicans:

8633e32d93dafef909ef22759314e55b.jpg

Wizards:

566312-gilbert_arenas.jpg

Bulls:

25ae7eba6e6d050e5586556fea49b5b9.jpg

Cavaliers:

WHp8jbRgVeXysONdSRxSDXlXLQdGgLLBtNWkcRV9

Mavericks:

hi-res-2701298_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=42

Nuggets:

b062057966ca9931d679a0a3db39acf2.jpg

Pistons:

Grant_Hill_94_alt.jpg

Pacers:

hi-res-4a6f7a99661331d541c2fdc6b9154699_

Heat:

1b0e17b408c676202ff80fddfb6adbe0.jpg

Bucks:

mil-bucks-95-97-alternate-620x620.jpg

Lakers:

hi-res-56704175-kobe-bryant-of-the-los-a

Timberwolves:

minnesota-timberwolves-21-kevin-garnett-

Jazz:

hi-res-587353_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=433

Nets:

martin_kidd.jpg

Knicks:

allan-houston-knicks.jpg

Magic:

bos_g_shaq92_200.jpg

Warriors:

Golden-State-Warriors-2004-2010-Alternat

Suns:

barkley-black-jersey.jpg

Blazers:

Screen-shot-2012-09-25-at-20.55.41-.png

Kings:

sac-kings-94-97-purple-alternate-620x620

Spurs:

san-spurs-2012-alternate-675x380.jpg

Rockets:

dwight-howard-james-harden-nba-houston-r

Sonics/Thunder:

DesmondMason.jpg

Raptors:

chris-bosh-of-the-toronto-raptors-looks-

Hawks:

a74b9-petemaravich007.jpg

Grizzlies:

vancouver-grizzlies.jpg

Bobcats/Hornets:

Charlotte-Bobcats-2006-09-Alternate-Jers

Sixers:

060301_sixers_rockets_vmed10p.widec.jpg

spacer.png

Heat, Magic and Hornets were the best, IMO, from this bunch, followed closely by the Suns and the Blazers.  I'm sure someone else will choose the Jazz and the Nets, though.

Cool list.

- I don't have a use for those white Lakers jerseys. It's a shame Kobe wore those for his 80-point game.

- That Warriors set is better than what they wear today.

- I remember when the black Bulls set came out. I wasn't a fan then, but I thought they looked awesome.

- It's a shame the Mavs dumped that set after one game (a blowout loss to LA, IIRC). They looked great.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Some really awesome ones on this list. My favorites are the Hornets, Bulls, Nets, Bucks, Magic, Grizzlies, and Suns.

And as a kid, I never liked the Jazz alt at all. Not even being a 9-10 year old fan made those better to me. The purples were 10x better.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm probably in the minority, but I loved this Hawks uniform. But I liked all the goofy "racing stripes" looks from the 70's.

maravich_wr_300.jpgs-l300.jpg82972a91bacfaa143dccd67bdc3efc7d.jpg

#8 in the third pick ins't some guy with the last name of Bells. It's Walt Bellamy. Back in the 70's, a few teams went with nicknames or first names on the back of their jerseys. 

ElvinWes1.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

56 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The Hornets were the first team I recall bringing in full-time alts in 1994. The Magic weren't far behind.

alonzo-mourning-larry-johnson-in-charlot

Yeah, the Orlando Magic may have popularized the alternate jersey in the NBA for good after they took it all the way to the Finals against the Rockets.

81677412_8.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

56 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The Hornets were the first team I recall bringing in full-time alts in 1994. The Magic weren't far behind.

alonzo-mourning-larry-johnson-in-charlot

I was gonna ask if anyone knew who was the first 90's team to introduce an alternate.  I thought it was Charlotte as well.

4 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I was gonna ask if anyone knew who was the first 90's team to introduce an alternate.  I thought it was Charlotte as well.

Charlotte, Detroit, Orlando, Phoenix & Atlanta introduced 3rd jerseys for the 1994-95 season (I believe the Hawks were the first team to actually wear them in a game but I'd need to double-check dates to be sure). Here's the Hawks' 3rd:

Atlanta-Hawks-1992-1995-Alternate-Jersey

The San Diego Clippers also used alternate unis during the 1983-84 season - they wore both red & blue road unis that year:

379d14c52ee669e09099ad60f369078f.jpg

norm-nixon-of-the-san-diego-clippers-loo

6 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

I really like any alt that is just a color swap of their standard set. 

And that Nets gray one was truly a beautiful alt that I wish they wore more often 

I also liked color-swaps a lot more for alternates.

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Those Nets alts were beautiful. But that version with the white lettering wasn't the first one. The first grey alt had blue lettering, and wasn't nearly as nice. (Unfortunately, the only picture I could find is of a children's replica jersey.)

keith-van-horn-new-jersey-nets-nba-basketball-jersey-champion-youth-medium-37d2c36f8ec9a6b91ee9df0c647145bd.jpg

Of course a fellow Nets fan beat me to it! Good catch - was just coming to comment the same. It's pretty hard to find in game pics of this jersey. Almost like no one was there in person to take pics (which is possible with the late 90's Nets, especially if there was a snow storm or a lengthy losing streak)

35 minutes ago, JerseyJosh said:

Of course a fellow Nets fan beat me to it! Good catch - was just coming to comment the same. It's pretty hard to find in game pics of this jersey. Almost like no one was there in person to take pics (which is possible with the late 90's Nets, especially if there was a snow storm or a lengthy losing streak)

I got you. Never underestimate the power of Google.

mar-1999-kerry-kittles-of-the-new-jersey

bSLCtu2.png

Archived