Snapchat Geofilters

TheGiantsFan

I've been quite absent from these forums these past few months, as I have shifted my creative projects from fictional sports teams to real-world Snapchat Geofilters. Within that time, I have also taken up Adobe Illustrator, as CSUMB students are able to get Creative Cloud for free. :)

What are Snapchat Geofilters?

They're location-specific graphics that accompany your Snap whenever you're within a certain area, with Location Services on. These areas can be as small as a dormitory hall and as big as entire cities (Snapchat discourages the making of filters for entire states, countries, etc.). They usually contain the city or area's name on them, and they are usually paired with art that is relevant to the specific location. Geofilters are free of charge to submit.

You can also make Geofilters for events such as birthdays and parties. However, unlike Geofilters, these filters you have to pay for. The price depends on the size of the location and how long you want the filter up. Because of the price factor, there is a 100% acceptance rate for Event Filters, and they get approved within 1 business day.

How are Geofilters Put Up?

Originally, Geofilters were made only by the Snapchat staff, but they started becoming crowdsourced around late-2014. Basically, you can make a filter on Illustrator, Photoshop, Google Drawings (I used Google Drawings before I took up Illustrator), etc., then you send it in through the Snapchat website. They have to fulfill a certain criteria (it has to be legible on dark backgrounds, cannot contain trademarked logos, among others), and they are either rejected (they do not explicitly say what is wrong with your Geofilter, rather they list you a list of what could be wrong with the filter; this is admittedly the most frustrating part of the submission process) or accepted. The acceptance process nowadays usually takes about 3-5 business days, and the rejections usually come within 1 or 2 days. When the filters are accepted, they become available for use on Snapchat within a few hours of receiving the acceptance email.

Here is the link for where to upload Geofilter designs~

My Geofilter Collection

*Shameless self-advertisement!*

Anyone who has me on Snapchat knows my notoriety for spamming Geofilters of different cities whenever I go on trips. As of this writing, I have gathered 1,000+ Geofilters from all throughout California and from my summer East Coast trip, all of which I've uploaded on my Flickr account here. It's really interesting, in my opinion, seeing the visual variety of Geofilters from all over the place, a lot of which I use for inspiration for my own designs.

My Geofilter Designs

As of this writing, I have gotten 26 Geofilters and 1 Event Filter accepted, with 3 more that I'm awaiting acceptance on. Most of my designs are for the Monterey Bay area, along with some requests from my colleagues from all over the state. I'm not gonna post all 27 filters on here, but I'll upload the best ones on here:

North Salinas, CA (Accepted Nov 2016)

25375959819_35369b97c2_c.jpg

Salinas, CA (Accepted Oct 2016)

29932861983_f8a6df2d9d_c.jpg

Carmel, CA (Approved Oct 2016)

29827246694_d0d319253e_c.jpg

Monterey, CA (Approved Jul 2016)

28764894266_1ca987d86d_c.jpg

Alright, that's all for me as I'm concerned. I'm interested if anyone else on these forums makes Geofilters as well, and I certainly look forward to seeing your filters as well as your favorites!

~ Daryl

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, it never even crossed my mind that these could be submitted by the public. Thanks for sharing.

I've just submitted something for the stadium of my local soccer team. I wonder how long until I get my rejection email.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

On 11/21/2016 at 6:50 AM, eRay said:

I've made a couple that have been accepted. I'll post images later when I get a chance to use the filters.

Yours are very well done, by the way.

Thank you! :)

I can't wait to see your designs as well!

On 11/22/2016 at 9:43 AM, JWhiz96 said:

This is neat, thanks for the tips.

Also a question: do these include geofilters of people? I know DJ Khaled (who I may or may not follow) uses custom geo's based off himself.

Certainly! :D

Hmm, like personal filters of celebrities and whatnot? I feel like they pay for their own custom filters, though I'm not entirely sure...

9 hours ago, marble21 said:

Less than 24 hours it seems.

May I see your design, perhaps, and I could probably give you feedback on it...?

3 hours ago, XenonDesigns said:

Did you use any logos? Snapchat HATES any type of branding or logos. Usually you don't get a response so fast.

Just now, TheGiantsFan said:

Hmm, like personal filters of celebrities and whatnot? I feel like they pay for their own custom filters, though I'm not entirely sure...

May I see your design, perhaps, and I could probably give you feedback on it...?

Not sure if this link will work:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/q484dhlrdaQZVPtC6BLebzmL0HnuvXuhJ84deXfFljEeOseoJoxO7jzNZM4ljoDr52YtI6WzF2rF38qqPCoS60IpLOno 

It was just something I rushed during my lunch break - the nickname of the team and stadium name and location in Copperplate Gothic Bold because that font is used on the team logo (Tranmere Rovers). I'm thinking that maybe outside the obvious of the design itself not being very good, that perhaps they're reluctant to have big businesses use community submissions when they can have the club pay for one of the event ones?

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

On 11/23/2016 at 0:46 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

Hmm, like personal filters of celebrities and whatnot?

Exactly, except my goal is to make one of myself /selfish. I figured that they pay for theirs, but I'm still not certain.

NSFCvyu.png

On 11/24/2016 at 8:43 PM, Cosmic said:

North Conway! I spent a night at the North Conway Grand on way through New England.

Great town. Spent a night near there on a day off from working at a summer camp. That filter captures the feel really nicely!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

On 11/23/2016 at 9:52 AM, marble21 said:

Not sure if this link will work:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/q484dhlrdaQZVPtC6BLebzmL0HnuvXuhJ84deXfFljEeOseoJoxO7jzNZM4ljoDr52YtI6WzF2rF38qqPCoS60IpLOno 

It was just something I rushed during my lunch break - the nickname of the team and stadium name and location in Copperplate Gothic Bold because that font is used on the team logo (Tranmere Rovers). I'm thinking that maybe outside the obvious of the design itself not being very good, that perhaps they're reluctant to have big businesses use community submissions when they can have the club pay for one of the event ones?

To be quite frank, I think you should work on refining the design a bit more, as well as probably refining its legibility a bit. As for your last statement, I'm honestly not quite sure... :/

On 11/24/2016 at 2:57 PM, XenonDesigns said:

Here are the two filters I made. Both were accepted a few months ago and these are the best pics I have them. The first is for a school in my town and the second is for a town in New Hampshire. 

IMG_20161124_175132.jpg

IMG_20161124_175108.jpg

You've got some nice, simplistic designs here!

On 11/25/2016 at 11:02 AM, JWhiz96 said:

Exactly, except my goal is to make one of myself /selfish. I figured that they pay for theirs, but I'm still not certain.

I think the closest thing you can have to a personal Geofilter is the "Bitmoji" stuff, where you can have personalized "stickers", all for free. I haven't tried it, myself, though...

17 hours ago, The AFC South said:

A submission I made for my hometown....

MUNCIE FILTER 1 (2).png

I like the color scheme!

3 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

I think the closest thing you can have to a personal Geofilter is the "Bitmoji" stuff, where you can have personalized "stickers", all for free. I haven't tried it, myself, though...

I literally just found out about Bitmoji this morning. Turns out that was what I was talking about, go figure.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived