My First NHL Concept Series *Series Complete*

Hoovuh

Hey all,

This is my first time posting here and my first real stab at creating a concept series for jersey designs. I have some experience in the past in creating jerseys for online hockey league forums, but never have done as many concepts for a league like the NHL. C&C is welcome and appreciated by a newcomer in the field of jersey designing.

Direct link to Team look:

Anaheim Ducks

Arizona Coyotes

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Calgary Flames

Carolina Hurricanes

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings

Edmonton Oilers

Edmonton Oilers 2

Florida Panthers

Los Angeles Kings

Minnesota Wild

Montreal Canadiens

Nashville Predators

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

San Jose Sharks

St Louis Blues

Tampa Bay Lightning

Toronto Maple Leafs

Vancouver Canucks

Vegas Golden Knights

Washington Capitals

Winnipeg Jets

Centennial Classic

First up we have the Anaheim Ducks.

xCwBdOw.png

The Mighty Ducks logo is back and in the spotlight. One thing that I like about the real current Ducks set is the inclusion of orange, and wanted to bring that as the main color. Gold is eliminated in the color pallet.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the boards!

Looks nice, and I'm all for simplifying the colour scheme, but there needs to be more contrast between the orange in the logo and the jersey behind it. It's why the current third uses a gold triangle, for example. Maybe introduce a logo-only tertiary colour?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

13 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Welcome to the boards!

Looks nice, and I'm all for simplifying the colour scheme, but there needs to be more contrast between the orange in the logo and the jersey behind it. It's why the current third uses a gold triangle, for example. Maybe introduce a logo-only tertiary colour?

That was what I was trying to figure out when I first made this concept. The orange does blend in quite a bit, but having a logo only tertiary color throws things off a bit. Here it is with the grey color that is used as the shadow for the ducks beak on the logo.

T5SbGKq.png

Moving onto the next concept is the Arizona Coyotes. As a Yotes fan, I am at a bit of a cross roads for how I like the identity to be. The Kachina jerseys are amazing, and I really like the newest look. I wanted to create something sort of in the middle of those two designs, but I ended more along the Kachina design route. The roboyote head logo is what I ultimately decided I wanted as the primary logo. Sand color substitutes in for the white used. I think that the 'vintage white' or sand works very well for the Arizona designs much better than for other teams.

d1TkAjb.png

My Boston Bruins concept is a bit out there and I am sure it will be very hit or miss. I really enjoyed the Winter Classic jersey and wanted to base a set off of that. I added the yokes that the current Bruins jersey have to both jerseys, in addition to a small white(home)/black(away) stripe on the inside of each yellow one. The away jersey somewhat resembles a bumblebee so I am sure that is where the majority of the negative will be about.

7RK0DO7.png

27 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

Arizona: Make the font larger. It's too small. I love the sand instead of white.

Boston: Add a white border to the numbers like on the actual set. 

Great Concepts, keep it up!

vJ1kbTb.png

2IKynLM.png

Bigger font for the AZ set and fixed the outlines for Bostons set! Also noticed that for some reason Bergerons number on back is wrong. Fixed now, but oops!

Next two sets are Buffalo and Calgary. Both are inspired by their inaugural uniform set. Changes to Buffalo's set are; only one set of stripes on the socks, the away jersey arm striping matches the hem, yellow stripe on the yoke for the away jersey is taken away, and the pants striping pattern becomes one solid yellow stripe. For Calgary, the home striping does not have the red space between the yellow and white. Like Buffalo, the striping pattern on the pants combines into one solid stripe.

I4aCyQa.png

hxoltZQ.png

The last two concepts for today are for Carolina and Chicago.

I am not a fan of the current branding for the Carolina Hurricanes. I found a great logo by Hurricanedean07 and had to use it. The home jersey becomes black, and the hurricane flag pattern becomes a big part of the new uniforms. I am extremely pleased with how this set turned out and is my favorite concept in this series so far for me.

stNAdzh.png

Chicago has that classic look and I decided to not really change their look at all. The only major change is striping on the pants to somewhat match the striping pattern the team uses.

NaBWtsN.png

This is very impressive, I prefer everything you have made to what the NHL looks like now. There is one thing though that most rooks have a small problem with, the sock striping placement. In some of them they are fine, like Calgary or Buffalo but others seem like the stripe is placed around or all the way up to the knee area, like Chicago or Carolina. This might be because the stripe on the sock is too thick or because you are just letting it run too high. If this is how you want it no big deal, but I suggest taking a look at some pictures of socks and model it more towards that. Other than that keep em rolling.

First off, I want to say that this series is better than most we've seen lately. So if this is where you're starting, that's freaking impressive. 

However, as much as I love shoulder yokes, especially paired with traditional striping, it can't be the look of every team. Mix it up. I'd even say go back to some of those (Phoenix is begging for a change, maybe Carolina should lose the yoke) ought to have a look different from everyone else. Each one is very well done. But collectively, they start to look the same after a while.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

22 hours ago, Hoovuh said:

vJ1kbTb.png

2IKynLM.png

Bigger font for the AZ set and fixed the outlines for Bostons set! Also noticed that for some reason Bergerons number on back is wrong. Fixed now, but oops!

Arizona's jersey looks stellar, but the Roboyote logo gets half of it lost, depending on which jersey it's on. I think the full Kachina logo would improve the look. If you do keep the current one, I would try thicker lines, or a white border, to help it stand out. Great work.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Coyotes are a little too black heavy on the road. Maybe try a red shoulder yoke? That would really balance out the colors. Also Carolina is black heavy. I think a white shoulder yoke would fix that too. I don't mean to be extra critical, but those are the only flaws, everything else is great! :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 1 month later...

A little over a month since I last posted here. Sorry about that everyone who commented here. Just was busy for the holidays and dealing with a newborn. Anyways here are some new concepts!

We continue this series with the Colorado Avalanche. With last years Stadium Series jersey, I wanted to make a Colorado set based around that logo they used. Burgundy remains the primary color and the striping is a simple pattern that is loosely inspired by those SS jerseys.

51enQTw.png

Im not against the current CBJ main logo, but when they introduced their secondary logo, they made their primary the weaker of the two. The Jackets lose the red in their identity and add their secondary logos vintage white.

e2tXKZ3.png

Next is Dallas. Their rebrand is fantastic and in my opinion have one of the best sets in the league right now. The only thing that brings it down is their primary. I think they missed the mark a bit with it, but coudlnt figure out anything better. Looking at concepts that the Stars came up with during the rebrand period, I tried fixing up a secondary logo and adding it to their current set. Let me know what you think!

ACzaHOZ.png

Last concept of the day comes from Detroit. The Red Wings have a classic identity and really shouldnt change, but I changed it. Using the 'D' logo and updating the striping pattern to a thick top stripe and thin bottom stripe. I think that this design doesnt stray too far away from the Red Wings identity and has a familiar touch to it.

HSpXQki.png

These concepts are all really well executed! My thoughts:

Colorado: The whole set looks good, but I would choose navy over the powder blue. I think it well mix better with the burgundy.

Columbus: Good idea as well, but IMO it looks too similar to Chicago. Bonus points for using off-white as the main road colour!

Dallas: I agree with you about their rebrand, and I like how little was changed, but I think the logo on the second set would be better as shoulder patches.

Detroit: Not totally on board with the logo change, and I would make the arms on the road jersey red like they do now, because they're symbolic of 'Red Wings'.

This series looks good, definitely will be following.

Also, Congratulations on your newborn!

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

That Dallas logo is pretty awesome! It's a fantastic idea, but I don't think it's strong enough to be a primary logo unless it's some sort of fauxback. Slap that on the shoulders, where the Stars are weak on logos, and perfect this look. Nice work.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

15 hours ago, NoE38 said:

These concepts are all really well executed! My thoughts:

Colorado: The whole set looks good, but I would choose navy over the powder blue. I think it well mix better with the burgundy.

Columbus: Good idea as well, but IMO it looks too similar to Chicago. Bonus points for using off-white as the main road colour!

Dallas: I agree with you about their rebrand, and I like how little was changed, but I think the logo on the second set would be better as shoulder patches.

Detroit: Not totally on board with the logo change, and I would make the arms on the road jersey red like they do now, because they're symbolic of 'Red Wings'.

This series looks good, definitely will be following.

Also, Congratulations on your newborn!

10 hours ago, hockey week said:

That Dallas logo is pretty awesome! It's a fantastic idea, but I don't think it's strong enough to be a primary logo unless it's some sort of fauxback. Slap that on the shoulders, where the Stars are weak on logos, and perfect this look. Nice work.

Thanks for the C&C. Greatly appreciated! Here are some fixes taken from your advice.

LR0Igh7.png

nsI7bWF.png

ACzaHOZ.png

HSpXQki.png

Love your fix on Columbus! Great job on making it unique from Boston/Chicago on your update, although I'd like to see it in current colours with the current logo, with red-white-red-white-red on the home and blue-white-red-white-blue on the away striping patterns.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

On 12/31/2016 at 5:43 PM, ldconcepts said:

Love your fix on Columbus! Great job on making it unique from Boston/Chicago on your update, although I'd like to see it in current colours with the current logo, with red-white-red-white-red on the home and blue-white-red-white-blue on the away striping patterns.

Here ya go! *Just noticed about your comments about the colors for  the striping pattern. Just tried the red-white-red-white-red on the home and didnt like how it looked. Going to post the away striping pattern in a few though*

LDO9bRH.png

1NogBgo.png

Archived