8BW14

This is just a concept I cooked up this week, being off work and not really having much to do. I have had it in my head ever since Illinois redesigned their entire athletic identity a couple years ago. While the new uniforms are miles better than the dated, piping-heavy uniforms from the 2000's, there are some pretty careless striping inconsistencies and design choices that I just don't agree with, so that being said, here is my take on the Fighting Illini.

Illinois Football Home.png

Illinois Football Road.png

Illinois Football alt.png

I decided to take the current font and return the classic Illinois script to the helmet because I have always had a soft spot for it for some reason, and IMO, the block I is too vertical to be a strong helmet logo. The orange helmet would be a traditional metallic or molded shell, not the anodized look Illinois has sported since the redesign. I tweaked the sleeve stripes on the blue and orange jerseys and also went with a more traditional full stripe on the pants and adjusted the striping proportions. The new uniforms also have single color numbers to evoke a classic feel as well. I don't really see the need for a white or blue helmet because I think the orange helmet is the strongest and is most often associated with Illini football. Obviously each uniform element would be interchangeable so the team could mix and match up to 9 combos, which is plenty as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully I have actually improved on Illinois' look and I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. Any comments and feedback would be appreciated, thanks for taking a look. 

Since this has turned into a little series, I thought I'd go ahead and include a list of the teams I plan on redesigning throughout this project:

Already Done

Illinois

W. Virginia

Cornell

Arkansas St.

Dartmouth

Northwestern

North Dakota State

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would use the striping pattern from the white pants on the white jersey. Maybe blue and white helmet options as well, because I think the white one looks really sharp now. 

Other than that, you've cleaned up a sloppy set that has real potential. 

55 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I would use the striping pattern from the white pants on the white jersey. Maybe blue and white helmet options as well, because I think the white one looks really sharp now. 

Other than that, you've cleaned up a sloppy set that has real potential. 

Originally I had the striping like that on the jersey and I changed it. I'll chand it back to match the pants though, for the sake of consistency. Also I just noticed I forgot to finish the blue collar on the white jersey. 

As as for the helmets, I'm not I'm not necessarily opposed to a white helmet because I agree that it does look very sharp. I am just one of those people who think one helmet is the way to go to build a consistent brand, unless you're Oregon that is. 

Thanks for the feedback and I'll get an update posted

Finally got the road uniform fixed, striping is more consistent and collar is colored blue like its supposed to be. Also, I might go ahead and include a one-off white helmet to be worn exclusively with the orange jersey and white pants. 

Illinois Football Road.png

Thanks for taking a look and I always appreciate any comments or criticism.

I decided to go ahead and make a little series out of this. I'll just do random NCAA FBS and FCS teams as I get some inspiration to work on them. 

After I finished my Illinois concept, I went ahead and started working on another school that I think is so close but so far away. I love West Virginia's blue and yellow color scheme. Blue and yellow is one of my favorite color combos out there. I know a lot of people on here hate the fact that WV added black to the uniforms, but I didn't have that big of an issue with it, that being said, I think blue and yellow is just so clean it doesn't really need any help. I'm not a fan of the yellow and white helmets WV introduced with their latest redesign either and it goes without saying that the number font is ridiculous.

west virginia football home.png

west virginia football road.png

west virginia football alt.png

Overall, my concept is pretty simple, striping on the pants and shoulders reflect the angles of the logo and also draw inspiration from a Pro Combat uniform the Mountaineers had worn in the past. The home uniform is classic blue over gold and the white road jersey features the same design with blue sleeve caps and blue pants. For an alternate uniform, I decide to go with an anthracite grey uniform inspired by the rich coal mining history of West Virginia. The alternate also has a special gradient helmet with a gray facemask.

Well, thanks for taking a look and I'd appreciate any feedback or comments.

west virginia football home.png

west virginia football road.png

I went ahead and added TV numbers to the sleeves of the home and road jerseys and I definitely think it improves the look. I didn't add them to the grey uniform because I wanted to feature the gradient on the sleeves.

Great job on both schools.  I really like the Illinois on the helmet.  Even if they went with Illini would be better than the block I they use now.

The number font you used for WV is so much better than what they use now.  

Thanks for the feedback. 

9 minutes ago, MCH925 said:

WVU's sleeves need something on it. Maybe numbers?

You're probably right about that. They are blank because I originally had the gradient on the white and blue uniforms but I just wasn't feeling it. I think numbers would be a good use of the space. I'll add some tv numbers to the sleeves 

This is some good stuff, I like it.

As much as I hate to torture myself and my fragile eyes, I would like to see what you can cook up for Kansas State

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

Thanks for all the comments guys. I went ahead and updated WV with TV numbers and you can see them above. The next team I have today is a little off most people's radars. I have always been fascinated by Ivy League Football because of the tradition and history associated with them and by the time I'm done with this thread I will probably have done all the Ivy League schools. Cornell has a fascinating football history, but their current uniforms are pretty nondescript and boring, so I wanted to do something that remains traditional, but also gives the uniforms some character.

Cornell football home.png

Cornell football road.png

cornell football alt.png

The home and road uniforms are a very traditional football design, with UCLA stripes and a simple single stripe on the helmet. I added just a little but of black to the uniforms as well. Also, instead of the very plain Block C Cornell has been using, I put the athletic logo featuring the bear on the helmet for a more unique look.

The alternate uniform is a throwback to the glory days of the 1939-1940 teams that won a national championship and beat national powerhouses Ohio State and Syracuse on their way to a 18 game winning streak that ended in the infamous "Fifth Down Game" against Dartmouth where Cornell was forced to concede the victory after the fact.  

So thanks for taking a look and I'd love any feedback or C&C. I think Arkansas State will be next and I will get to K-State but I don't really know when. Thanks again.

Well since my Cornell University concept was so popular, I have another concept today, per a request. Arkansas State was actually a fun one to do. They have great colors and nice logos, so this was pretty straight forward.

Arkansas state football home.png

Arkansas state football road.png

Arkansas state football alt.png

In the past Arkansas State has used a claw scratch pattern on their uniforms and I brought it back, albeit in a simpler form and on the shoulders instead of the sleeves. With three jerseys, three pants and two helmets, the Red Wolves have plenty of options to mix and match, but the combos I put together, I think would be the primary looks. The alternate helmet would have a candy apple finish, which I hope comes across in the presentation.

Well thanks for taking a look at these concepts and please feel free to leave any comments.

I really like Cornell, I think you've done a good job of making it feel like a legit college team, but still with a slight Ivy League feel. The alternate is very cool, and I appreciate that it's based on history, because a black alternate would be an easy way out and not very Ivy League. Trying to find a problem with Arkansas ST and not having any luck, other than the random floating scratch marks between the two jerseys. But your execution on both of these is basically flawless in my eyes. Fantastic Work!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

1 hour ago, Bruins said:

I really like Cornell, I think you've done a good job of making it feel like a legit college team, but still with a slight Ivy League feel. The alternate is very cool, and I appreciate that it's based on history, because a black alternate would be an easy way out and not very Ivy League. Trying to find a problem with Arkansas ST and not having any luck, other than the random floating scratch marks between the two jerseys. But your execution on both of these is basically flawless in my eyes. Fantastic Work!

Thanks for the positive feedback on both. I fixed the out-of-place scratch marks, not sure how they ended up there but thanks for pointing them out. I was worried that the Cornell throwback might be too far out there, but I'm glad you like it.

Okay, thanks for all of the feedback on Arkansas St. Earlier I had said that I would probably be doing the whole Ivy League, so here is the second Ivy League school on my list, Dartmouth College.

dartmouth football home.png

dartmouth football road.png=

Dartmouth has a very unique helmet and I didn't want to change a thing as far as the helmet is concerned. As for the uniforms, I went with an old-school shoulder yoke design and I completely did away with the grey, silver and black that Dartmouth has been with their Nike catalog orders. I included the Lone Pine emblem on the collars as a unique homage to one of the school's most unique symbols. This is pretty basic, but I think that's what the image of the Ivy League schools should be: simple and unique.

Thanks for taking a look and as always any feedback is appreciated,

Dartmouth kind of has a jets feel to it and i really like it. The lone pine is a nice touch and i think it really fits with the Ivy league jersey ideal. Great job again

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived