infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 12

infrared41

Week 12 gave us a lot to work with. Maybe too much. The competition for the best list was absolutely brutal this week. It just might have been the toughest one in the history of these silly lists. We also got a close but not cigar match up and the worst list makes its triumphant return. As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion might be different from mine. Since it's been a while, we'll start with the worst list this week.

Worst:

1. Bengals - Ravens: The Bengals have no choice but to look awful. The Ravens had a choice and chose to look this bad. A whole lotta ugly going on in this one.

hX5BeHa.jpg

2. Cardinals - Falcons: Ladies and Gentlemen, your PYPs game of the week. The sooner these two teams dump these awful looks, the better. Whole lotta ugly going on here too. 

MCyGTiZ.jpg

3. Seahawks - Buccaneers: Ladies and Gentlemen, your contributory negligence game of the week. Tampa Bay carries 85% of the blame in this one. Seattle's white over gray combo isn't a bad look, but it's not good enough to overcome being matched up with this God-awful Bucs combo. 

CLPnPFO.jpg

Close, but no cigar...

Rams - Saints: Is this the first time the Saints have worn the black over gold this season? This wasn't a bad looking game, but the Rams blue pants kept it from being a contender for the best list. The match up looked...clunky? I guess? Whatever the case, it didn't work. 

8d5FU9y.jpg

Best:

1. 49ers - Dolphins: This one might be a contender for match up of the year. The Miami throwbacks are just glorious and the 49ers road uniform is one of the best in the NFL. Two classic looks. If the Dolphins don't make this their full time look as soon as they're able, they should be kicked out of the NFL - or at least relocated to Cleveland where that kind of stupidity is expected. This was a great looking game. 

TR6BVvy.jpgBRyTenP.jpg

2. Washington - Dallas: I'm not a big fan of Washington's burgundy pants, but there are times when they really work and this was one of those times. The colors looked great in this game. Anyone know if this was the first time Dallas wore the primary road blue jerseys at home against Washington? For you young folks, there was a time when this was Washington's full time look both at home and on the road. Seeing the burgundy jerseys was every bit as rare (maybe more) as was seeing the Cowboys in blue jerseys. About the only time you ever saw the burgundy jerseys was when Washington was on the road in Dallas. Anyway, great looking game. 

4IY8qCF.jpg

3. Titans - Bears: Speaking of classic looks...the Bears home uniform matched up against pretty much any good looking road uniform is always good for a spot on the best list. Kudos to the Titans for not messing this up and sticking with their best road combo. 

QdIM2wn.jpg

4. Steelers - Colts: You know it's a pretty good week when this classic can only manage the #4 spot on the best list. It would have been really easy to do a 1a thru 1f list this week, but ties are a cop-out and that Bears home uniform is just tough to beat. Anyway, another great looking match up between two of the best looks in the league. 

jH6F1RE.jpg

5. Vikings - Lions: Who knew purple and Honolulu blue could look this good together? The colors really popped in this one and that's the main reason it beat out game #6. 

2AViaZc.jpg

6. Panthers - Raiders: Another example of how tough the competition for the best list was this week. This game, hell, every game from 2 thru 6, would have nabbed the top spot in any other week. To be honest, you could pick games 2 thru 6 by drawing them out of a hat and I wouldn't argue with the result. 

kHVYUe9.jpg

And that's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

51 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

3. Seahawks - Buccaneers: Ladies and Gentlemen, your contributory negligence game of the week. Tampa Bay carries 85% of the blame in this one. Seattle's white over gray combo isn't a bad look, but it's not good enough to overcome being matched up with this God-awful Bucs combo. 

CLPnPFO.jpg

I get that the Bucs uniforms are all kinds of terrible, but what about this combo is "God-awful" in your opinion? Just curious, I'd take this over white at home any day, personally.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

I get that the Bucs uniforms are all kinds of terrible, but what about this combo is "God-awful" in your opinion? Just curious, I'd take this over white at home any day, personally.

You answered your own question there, bud. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, dsaline97 said:

Fair enough :P You just seemed particularly appalled to the red-pewter-red, was what I meant.

Let me clarify. Every Bucs combo is "God-awful." I think the overall color scheme has some potential, but that's about it. 

BB52Big.jpg

The Ravens/Bengals game actually doesn't  look bad to me with the sunlight. The Ravens all black look normally doesn't  work for  me, but in sunlight it has a Color Rush feel, something I find intriguing. The Rams/Saints game looked awful. Those blue pants need to be burned, and the Saints pants need white. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Nice.  Not a phrase you see every day on a sports uniform/logo message board.  :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Tough for me to pick between Dolphins-49ers and Cowboys-Redskins for top spot. And then as infrared listed Colts-Steelers, Raiders-Panthers and Bears-Titans were beauts too.

I'm not as high on Vikings-Lions. I've gotten over the one numeral serif on the Vikings, but still hate the Lions font. Color wise that matchup was beautiful. I also wish the Vikings would go white pants on the road more. Only times I can remember them doing since these unis debut was the 2 road preseason games in 2013 and week 1 last year against the 49ers.

The Ravens piss me off when they go all black, when black over white looks so good (ditto the Eagles the last two years.) The yoga pants look awful normally, but even worse when it's mono and we all know how much I hate pants and socks being the same color.

The Bengals have no thought process when it comes to the best time to wear each combination and it drives me nuts. We all remember the Orange Tidal Wave last month when they wore orange jerseys against the Browns. With the Ravens in all black it would've been a good time to go with their white pants and orange socks to provide some more contrast. NOPE. Black pants and black socks. Good idea. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Tough for me to pick between Dolphins-49ers and Cowboys-Redskins for top spot. And then as infrared listed Colts-Steelers, Raiders-Panthers and Bears-Titans were beauts too.

I'm not as high on Vikings-Lions. I've gotten over the one numeral serif on the Vikings, but still hate the Lions font. Color wise that matchup was beautiful. I also wish the Vikings would go white pants on the road more. Only times I can remember them doing since these unis debut was the 2 road preseason games in 2013 and week 1 last year against the 49ers.

The Ravens piss me off when they go all black, when black over white looks so good (ditto the Eagles the last two years.) The yoga pants look awful normally, but even worse when it's mono and we all know how much I hate pants and socks being the same color.

This week proves the ravens need purple socks and purple pants. 

Black jerseys, white pants, purple socks. 

Black purple black

Purple white black

White black purple

White white purple

So many good choices they could have(not all listed) if only they had purple pants or socks. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

14 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Washington - Dallas: I'm not a big fan of Washington's burgundy pants, but there are times when they really work and this was one of those times. The colors looked great in this game. Anyone know if this was the first time Dallas wore the blue at home against Washington? For you young folks, there was a time when this was Washington's full time look both at home and on the road. Seeing the burgundy jerseys was every bit as rare (maybe more) as was seeing the Cowboys in blue jerseys. About the only time you ever saw the burgundy jerseys was when Washington was on the road in Dallas. Anyway, great looking game. 

It's not the first time! This was unusual because the Cowboys wore their normal blue jerseys. Typically when they've played the Redskins they wear their throwbacks. In 2002 it was color on color... on at least two other occasions they wore blue and Washington wore white.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

48 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

It's not the first time! This was unusual because the Cowboys wore their normal blue jerseys. Typically when they've played the Redskins they wear their throwbacks. In 2002 it was color on color... on at least two other occasions they wore blue and Washington wore white.

That's what I was trying to ask. I should have been more clear. What I meant was the first time the Cowboys wore their primary road jerseys. The post has been edited accordingly.  Also, the second picture you linked to isn't in Dallas. The teams are clearly playing on natural grass. 

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

That's what I was trying to ask. I should have been more clear. What I meant was the first time the Cowboys wore their primary road jerseys. The post has been edited accordingly.  Also, the second picture you linked to isn't in Dallas. The teams are clearly playing on natural grass. 

You're right. My bad. Looking back on the Gridiron Database it looks like this is the first time they've ever worn their normal blues against the Redskins on Thanksgiving.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

41 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

You're right. My bad. Looking back on the Gridiron Database it looks like this is the first time they've ever worn their normal blues against the Redskins on Thanksgiving.

Nah, that was on me. My question wasn't worded properly. Anyway, thanks for putting in the effort. 

BB52Big.jpg

pretty easy pick for number one this week, eh? :) (but seriously, that Colts/Steelers is a tough one to beat IMO).

those pics dont quite do the uniforms justice though; the below are better. yet, they don't do the uniforms true justice either. i didn't get to see them with my own eyes during the Bills game, but i made a point to watch the guys walk out to the field sunday. for all the flaws with the logo and 3 different stripe patterns, it is truly one of the all time great NFL uniforms.

CyS4dbHXcAE61D-.jpgCySkrdUXAAAHaQF.jpgCySz4PaXEAQgtHB.jpgCySSndhVEAAsXCX.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

I will disagree with you on the falcons vs cardinals game. While both unis on their own aren't the best, I actually thought they go very well together.

They go so well together that Falcons/Cardinals games often look like intrasquad scrimmages! 

Archived