RailHawks rebrand -- North Carolina FC

JaMikePA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been talking about this over in the soccer kits thread, but I will loudly shout my thinly held opinions here as well. Carolina RailHawks was a bit silly, but the badge and color scheme were unusual, and it was an established brand in lower-league soccer for a decade-plus. The new one is very bland -- cliche Place Name FC, star motif, red/blue color scheme. I do like the triangle detail and the overall execution is clean, but ultimately it's too generic for me.

And I can't see them in MLS any time soon.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Man, I hope they can find a way to make this work, but you can't really make this team work in a large scale in their current location. Right now they play in Cary, a tucked away suburb of Raleigh, and even though it says they plan to build a new stadium in the area, I still find it hard to get that constant support. I've always believed that a soccer franchise would be at its best in Charlotte, as well as the Carolina Hurricanes, due to the support of both Carolinas, and you'd have the support of both the Panthers and Hornets, the two most popular and established brands in the state.

Oh, and the logo is alright, I guess.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The dumping of the RailHawks name and branding is probably an effort to distance the team and its new ownership from the previous owners, Traffic Sports USA, who were indicted and plead guilty in the FIFA corruption case in 2015.

In short, it's understandable they wanted a rebrand.  It's just a shame the result was so bland.

19 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Since nobody has put up the RailHawks logo for comparison, here it is:

1428329553-railhawks.jpg

That logo was so well-rendered and the name is unique. Plus, they beat the LA Galaxy three times in the US Open Cup (2012-2014). I don't see the problem with keeping that branding.

Like it but feel it needs to be streamlined for sure...

1. Simplify so Hawk and Rails don't have excessive or too thick outlines

2. Remove the ball

On 12/4/2016 at 5:16 PM, radchad said:

The dumping of the RailHawks name and branding is probably an effort to distance the team and its new ownership from the previous owners, Traffic Sports USA, who were indicted and plead guilty in the FIFA corruption case in 2015.

In short, it's understandable they wanted a rebrand.  It's just a shame the result was so bland.

Bland, understandable, and not surprising. It seems that unless you have a good NASL name to pull from most teams are opting for the FC/SC route out of simplicity. Almost makes one pine for the days Nike came up with the team names.

That said, breaking with their NASL identity and Traffic's tarnish as they pursue MLS (and likely move to USL) makes perfect sense. Can't blame them for leaving corruption and failure behind.

Archived