2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Digby said:

I've always assumed the continued changing of manufacturers is part of why there's not the throwback industry in soccer that there is in big four USA sports. 

I'm not sure we can say that.  Clubs have been doing throwback designs for a while.  One of the earliest I remember is Arsenal's 2003-2004 away kit:

Arsenal-Away-Kits.jpg

Which, as the pose suggests, was a throwback to their 1971 kit, when they won the FA Cup Final: 

Even today, Arsenal sells a pretty full line of throwback shirts, not to mention throwback-inspired designs like this winter cap, based on one of the club's early 1990s monstrosities.

n01246_f.jpg

Arsenal-Away-Kits.jpg

Maybe they're not quite where we are on this side of the Atlantic, but they're working on it.

@Gothamite - The link you posted for the Arsenal retro line is by a company called Score Draw which get the license to make and sell retro designs. They're pretty widespread and make shirts for a whole bunch of clubs (which can be seen on their own website). With clubs changing manufacturers so often it makes sense to license them out in that way. Also, clubs and manufacturers are not as controlled by the leagues like they seem to be in North America. So clubs probably have more control over their own merchandising but are also not encouraged as much to produce throwback/breast cancer/military appreciation kind of things as is the case in US sports.

Throwbacks may not be as common over here but you will probably find that most fans love a retro shirt. Often, the more "hideous 90s" it is the better.The "it's so bad that it's actually good" kind of reaction. The image above is a great example.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

9 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Their usual colours are black/red stripes,but they haven't worn them since 14/15. It's odd indeed... Bayern are a similar case: Blue/red stripes in 14/15,two tone red in 15/16,red with white shorts in 16/17,and now red with white pinstripes.

What Bayern’s done is a moderately common thing in Germany, though. In England, most teams wear the same kit combo every season — United is red/white/black, Liverpool is all red, etc. — where in Germany, it’s much more centered around a club “owning” colors, with the design being pretty malleable.

The last three years, Werder Bremen have had white/green hooped, green w/white sleeves and solid green shirts; Bayer Leverkusen have worn solid red kits, solid black kits and red and black hoops; Dortmund go between solid yellow shirts, striped shirts, black sleeved-shirts, etc. Not every club does, of course, but Bayern isn’t an exception to the rule. (Frankfurt, however, kind of are.)

6fQjS3M.png

6 hours ago, marble21 said:

@Gothamite - The link you posted for the Arsenal retro line is by a company called Score Draw which get the license to make and sell retro designs. They're pretty widespread and make shirts for a whole bunch of clubs (which can be seen on their own website). With clubs changing manufacturers so often it makes sense to license them out in that way. Also, clubs and manufacturers are not as controlled by the leagues like they seem to be in North America. So clubs probably have more control over their own merchandising but are also not encouraged as much to produce throwback/breast cancer/military appreciation kind of things as is the case in US sports.

Throwbacks may not be as common over here but you will probably find that most fans love a retro shirt. Often, the more "hideous 90s" it is the better.The "it's so bad that it's actually good" kind of reaction. The image above is a great example.

Yeah that is interesting and I don't discount that at all -- you just don't see the throwback programs on the field a la MLB throwbacks or NBA Hardwood Classics, that sort of thing. The occasional kit inspired by old ones, sure, but not the direct throwback nights. I guess that's the difference between American sports with rare total changes but who knows how many alternates, vs. most big modern international soccer teams that unveil three new kits every year but only wear those three kits exclusively.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

According to Footy Headlines, Nike won't be selling a replica version of the US Gold Cup shirt, instead only offering the authentic version and the t-shirts that closely resemble the jersey. Dissapointing if true, although I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt for now until there's official confirmation that FH's info is accurate.

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/06/pay-155-usd-or-you-wont-get-a-new-kit-nike-to-release-no-replica-usa-2017-gold-cup-kit.html?m=1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

35 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Can't confirm either; but that would be a terrible move which,of course,will probably backfire. From my knowledge,much more people buy replica than authentic...

The big thing with the Waldo's was the number box on the authentics. These won't need one but that's absolute crap to not have replicas available. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

According to Footy Headlines, Nike won't be selling a replica version of the US Gold Cup shirt, instead only offering the authentic version and the t-shirts that closely resemble the jersey. Dissapointing if true, although I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt for now until there's official confirmation that FH's info is accurate.

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/06/pay-155-usd-or-you-wont-get-a-new-kit-nike-to-release-no-replica-usa-2017-gold-cup-kit.html?m=1

Well, I was in a dilemma of deciding whether I was going to buy the shirt to save some money or get the replica... I guess Nike made the decision for me.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived