2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Not a fan of the DCU kit, but more so wanted to point out one of my big beefs with adidas. They always have stark differences between the authentics and replicas. The DCU authentic has a Henley collar. The replica has a traditional round collar. That's a big difference. Ok, I understand perhaps not having the jock tag, maybe even the graphic on the upper back...but details like the sleeve text and different collar are big details.

IMG_6745.PNG

IMG_6746.PNG

Reminds me of this Seattle kit. It's like they aren't even trying.

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

Honestly, seems to be a MLS thing. All my mom has mostly the same things as the on field (besides two sponsors)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BlazerBlaze said:

You can tell who has runs a business/taken a business class and who hasn't with all the talk about Auth vs. replica. 

Nobody would buy the authentic if the only difference was the cut and holes on the back. 

Having majored in business, I completely understand the appeal for the manufacturer. My concern is that adidas isn't even attempting to make the designs similar in some cases. See the Seattle design. It's either a screened or sublimated stripe and they went out of their way to make it visually different. It probably cost them absolutely nothing more nor less to change the color or design of that stripe. It's not even close to the same. This is different from the NFL where an authentic game jersey is constructed totally differently and with better materials from the screen printed replica. For soccer, the match kits and replicas are both just normal polyester shirts and adidas is rewriting the business model by offering visually different designs and labeling them as "replica."

On 2/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, TaylorMade said:

Looks like new Sounders kits are coming February 23

Have all designers completely forgotten what an apostrophe looks like?

Also, not born in '74.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

12 hours ago, Mockba said:

Have all designers completely forgotten what an apostrophe looks like?

Also, not born in '74.

I think it's a losing battle. I teach typography at the University level and things like this are completely foreign to the students. Almost not important anymore with abbreviations for everything, etc. 

As for born in 1974 they most definitely were. The Sounders have done a great job of keeping that alive through multiple owners and leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Mockba said:

Except for that large gap from 1983 to 1994, I suppose.

Which makes it even more impressive that the community and owners have continued to know that soccer in Seattle is Sounders. Wish more would follow this and build rich, longstanding traditions in their cities. 

48 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Picking up an old legacy is admirable.  Pretending that the legacy is unbroken is somewhat less so.

It's because throughout the rocky history of pro soccer leagues in the US, the Sounders have withstood the changes and remained this iconic brand here in Seattle. Same with the Timbers

33 minutes ago, Toronto206 said:

It's because throughout the rocky history of pro soccer leagues in the US, the Sounders have withstood the changes and remained this iconic brand here in Seattle. Same with the Timbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_professional_soccer_in_Seattle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Timbers_(disambiguation)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Picking up an old legacy is admirable.  Pretending that the legacy is unbroken is somewhat less so.

Agree to disagree on this one. I obviously feel strongly that they are completely in the right in keeping the legacy alive. But I get that half the people on this board are adamant that it's not valid. I don't think the two halves will ever agree. But I, for one, am incredibly proud that they embrace and continue the tradition of Seattle Sounders soccer that began in 1974.   

Archived