2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

We've seen that in the background of a photo - aside from the silliness of claiming an unrelated team's "birthday", what's really crazy is that nobody seems to know what an apostrophe is anymore. 

And source on the "large group that wants them to ditch the green"?  Anecdotally, they seem to sell a ton of rave green merchandise. 

For those that don't know the "Born in '74" chant is a mainstay of the Emerald City Supporters and something anyone who's ever went to a match hears over and over again in the stands. Maybe it's something we only "get" being in the midst of of game day craziness. And, as you know, I am completely fine with the team embracing what the fans know is a long lineage of Sounders soccer in Seattle. Better than the team ignoring it ever existed. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, hawk36 said:

For those that don't know the "Born in '74" chant is a mainstay of the Emerald City Supporters and something anyone who's ever went to a match hears over and over again in the stands. Maybe it's something we only "get" being in the midst of of game day craziness. And, as you know, I am completely fine with the team embracing what the fans know is a long lineage of Sounders soccer in Seattle. Better than the team ignoring it ever existed. 

There's a middle ground between not acknowledging there ever was a prior team and pretending that the current one is the same. 

I get that the fans like to pretend.  I just don't think that should always be indulged.  

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There's a middle ground between not acknowledging there ever was a prior team and pretending that the current one is the same. 

I get that the fans like to pretend.  I just don't think that should always be indulged.  

I totally agree with this. There are ways to honor the past of Seattle soccer without the pretending. But at the same time, kudos to the Sounders for being smart enough to market that emotional side of their fanbase. If their fans believe it, then they can make money off it.

Sports Illustrated has now changed their 2017 MLS kit article to show NYCFC's secondary with the navy shorts rather than the orange. I was suspecting the orange shorts wouldn't actually end up being paired with the kit and it looks like I was right.

IMG_2895.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I still don't see how the current team has ever claimed to be that team (they don't include records or accomplishments from any other Sounders team in their records). All their doing is celebrating Sounders soccer in Seattle which has existed in various forms starting in 1974. Given all the teams had the same name, there is an obvious connection, but I think you may be reading more into it than exists.

Just now, Gothamite said:

Except for when, you know, it didn't.

Ok we get it, you don't like that they are doing this. All their doing is celebrating the birth of the name Sounders. If you were in the front office, then you could change it. But you're not, so you can't, and then won't stop using that phrase. Didn't we already talk about this in this topic?

On 2/19/2017 at 10:41 AM, upperV03 said:

The primary kit isn't a MiAdidas kit, only the white kit is.

Both are miadidas kits from what I've been told. Even replicated the home Friday after work in miadidas. Biggest things that show its miadidas from a custom adidas kits are the stitched adidas logo and embroidered MNUFC badge. MNUFC is also the only team in the league not to offer a replica version, for the exact reason they are basically wearing replicas. You can get replica youth jerseys but the difference is just no MLS patches. 

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

34 minutes ago, Saathoff said:

Both are miadidas kits from what I've been told. Even replicated the home Friday after work in miadidas. Biggest things that show its miadidas from a custom adidas kits are the stitched adidas logo and embroidered MNUFC badge. MNUFC is also the only team in the league not to offer a replica version, for the exact reason they are basically wearing replicas. You can get replica youth jerseys but the difference is just no MLS patches. 

As I stated earlier, the primary kit isn't actually a MiAdidas kit like the secondary kit is. You can tell that by the lack of the ventilation holes around the entirety of the jersey, which the MiAdidas version of the Condivo 16 jersey has. Yes, the design of the kit can practically be replicated in the MiAdidas site, but tech-wise it's not quite the same as the MiAdidas version. It's quite clearly not a fully customized kit, and it's essentially a replica kit, but it's akin to what Adidas does for their lower level EPL teams and even some lower level teams around the world. Embroidered logos, sewn on stripes, but no ventilation holes covering the entire body of the jersey.

Compare this (the MiAdidas version of the Condivo 16, with the ventilation holes):IMG_2699.PNG

With this (The MNUFC primary kit, without the ventilation holes):

IMG_2892.PNG

And for good measure, to show that the MNUFC primary kit is akin to what Adidas produces for lower level EPL teams, here are a couple of examples:

IMG_2897.JPGIMG_2898.JPG

Note the embroidered logos and sewn on stripes, but the lack of ventilation holes around the entirety of the jersey.

There's probably a similar process to MiAdidas that Adidas uses with those lower level teams, or in this case MNUFC, and it probably offers some more customization than the standard MIAdidas site does. That would explain the lack of ventilation holes and the different colorways and/or graphics that you often see in the aforementioned scenarios.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That's a fair argument. I'm just telling you what I've heard from inside the league. I would guess MNUFC could still order a miadidas templated jersey without the ventilation holes. Either way MNUFC joining the league so fast bit them in the ass a little on getting custom jerseys. Normal process takes atleast two years from start to finish.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

4 minutes ago, Saathoff said:

That's a fair argument. I'm just telling you what I've heard from inside the league. I would guess MNUFC could still order a miadidas templated jersey without the ventilation holes. Either way MNUFC joining the league so fast bit them in the ass a little on getting custom jerseys. Normal process takes atleast two years from start to finish.

Yeah that was kind of my point, just that Adidas has a similar but different process to MiAdidas that they use with professional clubs. Not only does it allow for a little more creative flexibility with regards to colors and graphics, but they also have to take into account mass production for selling to fans. I'm sure that's a main reason why the kits for those lower level teams and now Minnesota are different than the standard options offered on the MiAdidas platform.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Sports Illustrated has now changed their 2017 MLS kit article to show NYCFC's secondary with the navy shorts rather than the orange. I was suspecting the orange shorts wouldn't actually end up being paired with the kit and it looks like I was right.

IMG_2895.PNG

Was hoping they were initially right.

It seemed odd that they would switch to orange shorts, but I thought it looked so sharp :'(

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

A phrase like "The Spirit of '74" would be one thing.   "Born in '74" is quite another.  It's not quite reading into something when they come out and state it. 

Agreed. My dad, grandpa and I all have the same name. Can I claim that I was born in the 1930's?

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

10 hours ago, upperV03 said:

IMG_2895.PNG

I would guess the orange shorts serve the same purpose as the white shirts on the home kit (although I don't think they've worn the navy ones yet...)

YVRMUBj.png

Archived