2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I'm not as keen on the Crew jersey as some seem to be. I think those checkerboard side panels are going to look horrible lined up against the adidas stripes on the sides of the shorts.

For the Crew, why shouldn't it work?  You don't have to look any further than their badge to find the same stripe/checkerboard juxtaposition.  

In fact, I think I'll choose to believe that with this kit the Crew have eschewed Adidas stripes in favor of a unique, badge-inspired motif.  Well done, Columbus.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DPHF said:

For the Crew, why shouldn't it work?  You don't have to look any further than their badge to find the same stripe/checkerboard juxtaposition.  

In fact, I think I'll choose to believe that with this kit the Crew have eschewed Adidas stripes in favor of a unique, badge-inspired motif.  Well done, Columbus.

Yes, I'm well aware that there are stripes in the crest as well. But the manner in which the stripes and checkers are aligned in the crest is considerably different than the manner in which they are implemented on this kit. And also, they certainly haven't "eschewed Adidas stripes in favor of a unique, badge-inspired motif." The Adidas stripes are still sitting prominently on the top of the shoulders like nearly all of the other kits this season:

IMG_2930.PNG

But to my original point, side panels are a design element that are rarely successful unless they match up with the side panels of the other uniform elements, or the other uniform elements do not feature any side panels at all. A few examples of poorly executed, and mismatched, side panels:

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

I'd even argue that all three of those examples of side panels, and there are many more, are less, or maybe equally as offensive as what the Crew's kit will look like with the stark contrast between checkered side panels on the shirt and Adidas stripes on the shorts. The contrast between the stripes and checkers works in the crest because they don't match up vertically like they will on this kit. There is a clear division between the two patterns, whereas on the kit the checkerboard pattern will abruptly come to an end and flow directly down into a completely different element. That's bad design, and it'll frankly make them look like they're wearing shorts that don't belong with the jerseys.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Don't be so sure that I "clearly didn't understand the whole point of (your) original post."  I understood the point and was simply saying that in this case, where a clashing of stripes and checkerboard is a clear and present part of the club's visual identity, it sort of feels alright to me.  It's perfectly fine if it doesn't feel alright to you, though.

And in regards to the adidas stripes - What we choose to believe is not always the same as what we know to be true haha

*Thanks for the edits, and the new observations/thoughts.  

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

Would like to see more pics of the TFC kit, but first instinct is that of the gray sleeves, side panels, and texture stripes, they ought to have picked one.

Some more pictures here but they don't really give you a good look at those side panels. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Why couldn't the Acura logo be yellow instead of white on the Columbus black kit? I know that's how it was with Barbasol, but for some reason it stands out more.

Also, do we know if CLB is keeping black at home and the new yellow will be away? Or are they swapping places yet again?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

In regards to TFC, I'm at work right now so can't mock this up, but imagine this:

A mashup of last year's kit and the new one released today. 

- Take this years template with collar, truncated stripes, and cuffs and leave as is. 

- Get rid of the side panels, colour the sleeves red with onyx cuffs. 

- Keep the subtle horizontal stripes on the front. 

- pair it with red shorts and socks with onyx accents. 

Now that's a kit. 

Archived