2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

For a long time, Nike made the best kits in the sport.  They're on a very bad run now, but there's hope they'll regain their form. 

It's clear that for right now, and with the introduction of the Vapor Aeroswift technology, that they're putting more of the focus on the technological side rather than the aesthetics, at least for the big clubs and national teams. It also appears as though they haven't been able to implement any sort of unique designs onto the Vapor Aeroswift template yet since clubs like Barça, Inter, etc. are using an adjusted version of the template for their primary kits, without the panels on the front. Hopefully Nike is able to figure out a way to include the bespoke designs onto the full Vapor Aeroswift template so that the technological aspects and the aesthetics can be on an even playing field once again. Nike was always really good at striking a balance between the tech features and the aesthetics, so I'm hopeful they'll return to those ways once they work out the kinks with the new technology. As for examples such as the new PSG kit and the England home shirt with the terribly colored sleeves, and even the stupid contrast socks that they implemented into a lot of their kits, I have no excuse and/or possible explanation for that. That's just bad design, and hopefully they'll go back to the drawing board going forward. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

56 minutes ago, Digby said:

The "technology" is BS. It's about making everything recognizably Nike more than making the shirt a fraction lighter.

I'd tend to agree.  I just got done arguing that all the oh-so distinctive football helmet designs were created more for marketability than safety, and I think that's exactly what happened here.  

Nike's teams look like Nike teams first and foremost because Nike wants them to look like Nike teams first and foremost.  I do not believe that this is a technological problem. 

2 hours ago, Digby said:

The "technology" is BS. It's about making everything recognizably Nike more than making the shirt a fraction lighter.

I think that's certainly part of it, but there is something to be said about maximizing performance through innovation in apparel. I've been lucky enough to get a tour of numerous Nike research labs for shoes, uniforms, apparel, etc. and there's definitely more to it than making it recognizably Nike. I was also lucky enough to test some of their equipment and apparel while I was playing, and there are a surprising amount of benefits to the advances that they make.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I don't doubt at all that there is indeed some technological advancement.  

But I do not believe that Nike's ever-present templating is required by that technology.   I don't believe that Nike is giving everybody the exact same template because that's required by their technology.  I do not believe that Nike's template has those softly-contrasting raglan sleeves (in what we used to call "corrupted colors") because that's required by their technology. 

Yes, Nike works to improve the tech in their kits.  But the kits they give clubs all look alike because Nike wants them to all look alike.  Nike could apply their technology to any number of different templates, but they don't.  And there's a very good reason why. 

2 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

I hope we'll see an end of the Aeroswift template next year for the World Cup and go back to things like that:

New-Socceroos-World-Cup-Jersey-2014.png

Let's talk about what is, in my opinion, the best French jersey of all time. 

l-equipe-de-france-de-football-a-redore-

Bring designs like this back Nike. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

For a long time, Nike made the best kits in the sport.  They're on a very bad run now, but there's hope they'll regain their form. 

So true! That PSG new top is horrible and Nike has taken a major step back lately.  I never thought Under Armour would become my new favorite.

You just made the Iron List!!

Iron List.png

Yeah, I'm not exactly impressed with Under Armour either.  They've had their share of duds.  When they stick to classic, they do it as well as anybody.  But when they step out of that, they stumble badly.  We're not that far out of their "sports bra" phase. 

81767.jpg81480.jpg

1265872_577_under_armour_toluca_3rd_jsy_southampton-2016-17-home-players.jpg

At this point, I'm hoping Adidas keeps the MLS contract. 

2 hours ago, hendocfc said:

That would be one of the best French kits of all time if the blue was more of a deep royal,like the French flag,than a dark navy.

While i would agree generally about the blue, which jerseys do you believe are better?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Yeah, I'd tend to agree with that. I love both of their 2014 World Cup kits, and I think I'd rank them as #2 and 3 behind the above design. Not only does that shirt scream France to me, but it's what they wore when they won their first European championship, and their only World Cup to date.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I think their current home kit is salvageable if they pair it with the white shorts. Still not great, but certainly better than the blue shorts. The black accents are inexcusable though, regardless of the shorts color.

IMG_3216.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

52 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Is that even a question? 

france-home-football-shirt-1984-1986-s_2

france-home-football-shirt-1997-1999-s_1

Well the first was original at the time France won a euro in it and it meant something to the French then when they hosted the world cup in 98 they decided to pay homage to that kit but there was nearly a 20 year gap between them and then they won the world cup so would say that is an iconic football design now. Nike has lost its edge bit time adidas and puma are the best for football kits as of right now. Being a LFC fan new balance are getting better all the time and there porto stuff is great would love them to take over MLS tbh.

Archived