2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hendocfc I've been hearing contrasting information regarding the US Gold Cup kit. Most sources have heard that they are using hoops and most assume red and navy hoops. I heard from another source that it could be red and dark red hoops paired with navy sleeves. What have you heard?

I can't see a primarily red kit exciting people much, especially considering they have already been promoting the new all red kit with the dark red sleeves. It seems like that would water down Nike's ability to sell these jerseys to fans. They would be too similar.

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

IMG_8495.JPG

Are they really getting rid of the ad? 

I assume that they aren't; but it's nice to fantasise.  Barcelona were the last team to go for advertising on their shirts; it think that they didn't start doing that until 2005-06.  It would be so cool if they became the first team to dump it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I assume that they aren't; but it's nice to fantasise.  Barcelona were the last team to go for advertising on their shirts; it think that they didn't start doing that until 2005-06.  It would be so cool if they became the first team to dump it.

They signed a new deal with Rakuten which will start next season. Not sure why the logo isn't present on the jersey in those photos but it definitely will be there in the future.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Barça actually had their first actual sponsor in 2011, they pay Unicef instead of the other way around, and they actually still do that nowadays.

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

They signed a new deal with Rakuten which will start next season. Not sure why the logo isn't present on the jersey in those photos but it definitely will be there in the future.

Probably, because they deal with Qatar is still valid.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Barcelona were the last team to go for advertising on their shirts

Nope, Athletic Bilbao didn't have an ad on front until 2008/2009 season. :)

4r2eer.png

9 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

@hendocfc I've been hearing contrasting information regarding the US Gold Cup kit. Most sources have heard that they are using hoops and most assume red and navy hoops. I heard from another source that it could be red and dark red hoops paired with navy sleeves. What have you heard?

I can't see a primarily red kit exciting people much, especially considering they have already been promoting the new all red kit with the dark red sleeves. It seems like that would water down Nike's ability to sell these jerseys to fans. They would be too similar.

The kit is listed on the catalogues as being mainly navy blue; so I don't think it would be mainly red. I've heard navy/red hoops as well; but apart from that I don't know much.

33 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I’m not really a fan of this “Barça tries to look like PSG” trend they’ve started following in recent years.

Figures, for the second straight time they’ve done this, Nike botched the actual PSG kit for next year.

Besides this new one, the only other recent kit of Barça's that has beared any sort of resemblance to PSG was their 2012/13 design. And that kit, along with this new one, still had/has enough other qualities to make them distinctly Barça. So I'm not sure how that constitutes a "Barça tries to look like PSG" trend whatsoever. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Just now, upperV03 said:

Besides this new one, the only other recent kit of Barça's that has beared any sort of resemblance to PSG was their 2012/13 design. And that kit, along with this new one, still had/has enough other qualities to make them distinctly Barça. So I'm not sure how that constitutes a "Barça tries to look like PSG" trend whatsoever. 

I mean, that’s the only one, but it’s going to be twice now in six seasons.

Both kits have looked a hell of a lot more like PSG than Barça.

6fQjS3M.png

31 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I mean, that’s the only one, but it’s going to be twice now in six seasons.

Both kits have looked a hell of a lot more like PSG than Barça.

It'll also be twice now since their founding in 1899 since in their history they never had a design like the 2012/13 version or this new one. And I disagree about them looking more like PSG than Barça. PSG's "traditional" design (hard to call it that since they haven't been around for too long) is the red center stripe bordered by thin white stripes and neither of the Barça kits feature(d) that at all. Sure they both had/have a thick red center stripe but so what? It's still blue and red vertical stripes (especially this new one), which fits Barça's identity, even if it's in a more obscure way than traditional striping. This new kit does admittedly bear a pretty striking resemblance to the 1993/94 PSG kit but that was far from a traditional design for the Parisian club. To reiterate, neither the 2012/13 Barça kit or this new one really look all that much like PSG at all. IMO that's a pretty lazy comparison to make and one that doesn't really have much merit since both kits still look distinctly like Barça kits. Barça has definitely experimented with their kits more in recent years but they've still managed to more or less look like Barcelona, even the hooped design (though I'm in no way condoning them doing something like that ever again). PSG on the other hand hardly even has a look to call their own anymore with all of the ways in which they've experimented with their primary kits recently. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

PSG's kits ever since the Arab takeover are a trainwreck! Like,really... Barcelona seem to alternate between a traditional and an experimental kit season after season now,although I want their 18/19 kit to come back to the half/half design (as it had in 98/99 and 08/09,so why not 18/19),and I don't know if that would - although it should - be considered traditional... 

10 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

PSG's kits ever since the Arab takeover are a trainwreck! Like,really... Barcelona seem to alternate between a traditional and an experimental kit season after season now,although I want their 18/19 kit to come back to the half/half design (as it had in 98/99 and 08/09,so why not 18/19),and I don't know if that would - although it should - be considered traditional... 

I just wanted to say. PSG didn't really look like PSG at all the last few years.

1+Javier+Pastore.jpg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

1 hour ago, hendocfc said:

I'd say it would definitely be considered traditional. Obviously the blaugrana stripes have become their more signature look, but they wore the half and half design from their inception in 1899 all the way up until 1910. So while the stripes have been their signature look since then, the half and half design will always be the first Barça kit. It makes for a nice design to pay tribute to once in awhile, just as they did in 1998/99 for the centenary and a decade later in 2008/09 as well. And I'm with you, I'd love to see it make a return in 2018/19. The centenary kit is one of my favorite Barça kits of all time and the 2008/09 kit is up there as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Barcelona SC anniversary jersey:

17BarcelonaSC92A%C3%91OS1.jpg

92 Year Anniversary? Okay I guess.

Watching Chelsea and Tottenham in the FA Cup Semi-final. I know Spurs haven't worn their cup numbers domestically but I feel like they should have for this. Standard Premier League numbers today.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Watching Chelsea and Tottenham in the FA Cup Semi-final. I know Spurs haven't worn their cup numbers domestically but I feel like they should have for this. Standard Premier League numbers today.

FA Cup matches illustrate the silliness of a league-wide number font.  The number font should be part of a team's individual identity, as the Chicago Bears and Toronto Blue Jays so dramatically demonstrate.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived