2017/18 Soccer Kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here's how it looks on the Barça kit:

IMG_4672.JPG.ce2097413e71e3aa4a6cf940ca006eaa.JPGIMG_4673.JPG.32f212f859698a7094c80cfc6812c8bb.JPGIMG_4674.JPG.4a4ee31495769c3016c833d27c264476.JPG

First thing I thought of when I saw these numbers...

59309197341bf_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.6d397ead4d952ec7ce2403fc879d74a9.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I had months to prepare myself to be underwhelmed by a bland, templated jersey, and yet I was somehow still disappointed by this.

I hope the cash upgrade from Under Armour to Nike is enough to help keep the team on the field growing together, but it's a shame* that this "upgrade" comes at the cost of the (by-and-large) quality, bespoke designs they received as UA's premiere franchise.

* A very, very small shame compared to having to sell off this fun team of talented, young players.

9 hours ago, upperV03 said:

FH's mockup of Nike's first Chelsea home shirt:

IMG_4675.JPG.fc50af3e4ce6aa11d4ebc720acc66b86.JPG

Matches up with what I've heard, with white only appearing on the logos and names/numbers on the back. The shorts will be almost entirely blue like the shirt, while the first choice socks will obviously be white.

LOVE IT. I realize I'm probably in the minority on this one, since it is rather plain, but this is just about the perfect Chelsea home uniform. Exactly as it should be. A very bold jersey in its distinct blueness, which (I assume) will be perfectly balanced by white socks. I love everything about it. So much better than the overdesigned messes most teams are saddled with.

I do tend to find that, in the past 5-6 years, manufacturers are more frequently hitting it out of the park in their first year of a new contract with a marquee team. They're best when they eschew overdesigning, and instead, distill the team's kit down to its very essence. Adidas did a pretty good job of that with United in their first year, Warrior did a good job of it with Liverpool in 2012, as did Under Armour with Spurs that year (and the next, for that matter).

1 hour ago, Waffles said:

I hope the cash upgrade from Under Armour to Nike is enough to help keep the team on the field growing together, but it's a shame* that this "upgrade" comes at the cost of the (by-and-large) quality, bespoke designs they received as UA's premiere franchise.

Yeah, but this looks better than anything UA gave them. 

Yeah, UA may be my favourite kit supplier next season. Aston Villa, Southampton and St. Pauli are all great. They need some more teams though.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Subjectively, I'd take every primary kit and about half of the away/change kits they got from UA over these (with the caveat that we haven't seen the actual jerseys yet).

Aesthetics aside, I'd rather have hit-or-miss jerseys designed specifically for the team over consistently dull jerseys that look the same as half the clubs and national teams in the world. To me, these templates emphasize the manufacturer's identity over the team's.

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I couldn't disagree with this more. It's another bland Nike kit stuck on a template with absolutely no added design elements. It's a straight kit template. 

I prefer all of these home shirts over the leaked Nike:

ae40c5e751262fac944652098bdd5bd4.jpg tottenham120130311-324-18iuwuz-0.jpg

bb611a8f489d5a4b5630c6a1624edb4d.jpg

1276013-100-2.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

I thought the first and last UA/Spurs kits were excellent. UA is very hit or miss. Looks like they're hitting for next year, though. Love the Villa away and it's Github-streak design. I'll take an uneasy UA over templated boring nonsense any day. (Or what id really prefer is for teams to keep kits around for a few years, because there clearly are not enough design ideas in the world for every new team to get 3 good kits a year.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

53 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Aesthetics aside, I'd rather have hit-or-miss jerseys designed specifically for the team over consistently dull jerseys that look the same as half the clubs and national teams in the world. To me, these templates emphasize the manufacturer's identity over the team's.

Hmm.  I think it's exactly the opposite - showy designs focus much more attention on the manufacturer, while a simple design in traditional team colors showcases the club itself.

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Liverpool away officially released, along with the away keeper kit:

IMG_4688.JPG.cfdff0d9748d9ed712f14a6252c11466.JPGIMG_4691.JPG.b48a5aab36e2ab7f6bd1320e6653490f.JPGIMG_4690.JPG.de0f3a8d8005d40a4d39f1115696c132.JPGIMG_4689.JPG.ddee999a787b52742356a5d25fef1ce9.JPG

I may be in the minority in this one, but I really like this kit.  I love black-and-green combos and i think this one works well, excpet for that white spot below the collar.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Hmm.  I think it's exactly the opposite - showy designs focus much more attention on the manufacturer, while a simple design in traditional team colors showcases the club itself.

I don't think it's that binary. Showy designs like Adidas stripes all over everything or the lobster bib look of Nike circa 2004, run into the same problem of templating as current Nike looks. But there is plenty of customization that can be done such that you can tell teams apart by more than color and badge.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived