MLB x UA 2020 (indefinite break)

Jj...

MLB x UA

2020 ReBrand Concepts

The following are rebrand concepts for the MLB by Under Armour.

This post will act as the hub and will be edited when needed.

Not all teams are equally featured. Bolded team names are direct links to concepts.

NlPy8et.jpg

ALE

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

ALC

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

ALW

Houston Astros

LA Angels of Anaheim

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NLE

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets

Phila Phillies

Washington Nationals

NLC

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

NLW

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fD77Ztu.png

I have gone with a faux-back, retro look for the Sox, retiring the iconic insignia in favor of a couple of vintage logos. Although familiar, the restored look feels fresh and new.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and throwback uniforms. Two new hat styles would be donning the Sox for the 2020 season, and the city of Chicago is now represented through a new "C" cap. The throwback jersey pays homage to their late 60's uniforms, where the cap is the only thing reminiscent of what has been the Sox identity from the past 70 years.

KsS3BKN.jpg

I have decided to give a modern update to the Tigers identity. I've added a slightly lighter blue into the colour palette, as well as giving the tiger logos primary usage. These slight mods were intended to give some life to the Tigers uniforms.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and throwback uniforms. The tigers will only have one primary hat for the 2020 season, getting rid of their road cap from previous seasons. The throwback jersey is based on what the Tigers have worn on-and-off for most of their history. The throwback cap is the same as the primary, albeit the symbol is in vintage white like the jerseys- evoking a sense of history in the uniform.

Great idea for a series! Just based on the logos you've already posted I'm already excited. The Phillies, Royals, and Rockies in particular all look promising.

Very interesting look for the White Sox. I love the playful "White Sox" script on the home set, and the black alt is gorgeous. That late '60s powder blue look is not one you ever see as a proposed fauxback but I always thought it was underrated.

I like what you've done for Detroit, too. Not sure how I feel about two different shades of blue, though. Could you make the negative space in the "D" logo on the road jersey gray to match the rest of the uni?

GwHuhZu.jpg

Cleveland has been given a minimalistic update treatment. By 2020 I figure the MLB will no longer allow the Indians to use Chief Wahoo in their branding, around the time UA is in control of the uniform identities. The team name "Indians" itself is offensive, and I would assume the MLB would deal with this issue in due time as well. The cap logo is shortened and sharpened, giving it a slightly more modern look

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and faux-back uniforms. Cleveland will only have one primary hat for the 2020 season, getting rid of their iconic Chief Wahoo cap. The faux-back jersey is based on the Indians 70's identity. Void of white, the faux-back uniform also embodies the aesthetic their new brand.  

Updates for the Tigers will be made based on some feedback. The White Sox home uniform does have gray pinstripes, meant to be subtle.

yykzTJu.jpg

Last season the Royals introduced the gold from their logo into their uniform sets to represent their World Series victory. Being a personal fan of the blue/gold combo, I have decided to get rid of baby blue from the Royals palette, and give gold more prominence. The dated insignia from the late 70's has been replaced, making it newer and sharper. The shield also gets a makeover, as the rounded crown is sharpened as well. The diamonds above the crown represent the 3 bases and home plate.

The primary set consists of a home, away, and two alternate uniforms. Two new hat styles would be donning the Royals for the 2020 season, with their new insignia front and center on both. The gold on all uniforms is metallic and will sparkle and shine to embody a "royal" brand.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Indians look sharp. Their current script minus the navy/white outline is very effective.

Almost a no brainer to use the script like this after I saw it, I've never been crazy about it until I applied it the way I did.

About to post Minnesota and I'll be done the ALC! Not a lot of traction on this thread, but the positive feedback and constructive criticisms so far are really appreciated. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Jj... said:

Almost a no brainer to use the script like this after I saw it, I've never been crazy about it until I applied it the way I did.

About to post Minnesota and I'll be done the ALC! Not a lot of traction on this thread, but the positive feedback and constructive criticisms so far are really appreciated. 

Thanks!

Looking forward to the Twins. Always thought they could pull off hunter green. 

e7xxSzc.jpg

The Minnesota Twins are one of many teams in the big leagues that use a blue/red colour palette. Of all the teams in this category, I feel as though Minnesota suits their colour-way the least (Phillies are a close second). Between all the Minne teams in the big 4, I feel like the Wild's colours are the most "Minnesota". That being said, I've recycled this into the Twins identity- I feel as though it suits it well. The updated brand gives a vintage touch to a modern aesthetic.

The primary set consists of home, away, alternate, and faux-back uniforms. The sleeve on the main sets host two patches which represent Minneapolis and St. Paul, the twin cities. Two familiar hat styles would be donning the Twins for the 2020 season, which are simply recoloured versions of the current home and away caps. The faux-back jersey pays homage to the Twins first 30 seasons in the MLB, making use of the original "Twins" script.

All this looks great, but I have a few ideas:

Find a way to include pants into the template so we can see the full look.

Lighten the blue on the Detroit set, in order to match the Tiger D logo's shade of blue

Make the away script on the Tribe's jersey have a less extreme curve, it just looks too weird right now.

Give the Twins pinstripes, since cream and pinstripes look amazing together.

Other than these few nitpicks, I feel you are off to a strong start!

That's what- She

AL East is next, starting with the Orioles.

I appreciate the suggestions Miller, pants may be included in matchup concepts (turn back the clock). The reason they're not here is to save time for myself, keep the concepts simple and uncluttered, and to be honest- I feel like pants aren't making or breaking any identity (other than those Diamondbacks, amirite?). 

As for the actual aesthetic suggestions, I will be going back and making revisions where I see fit or by suggestion- but only if I feel like it will make enough of a difference.

Also not a fan of the UA logos on the chest, but I figure since this is the reality we will live in I might as well make it work to the best of my ability!

Thanks guys!

These look pretty good. The White Sox are probably my favorite, that's a solid look. A couple personal things:

-I think if you're gonna keep the regular cursive wordmarks, I would keep the matching cap logo. I'd go all-in either one direction or another.

-This is just a personal thing, and I know I've said it a few times on here, but green and red has always struck me as a Southwestern type of scheme. I've always been biased towards blue and green for Minnesota, but that's just me.

Nice start to the series!

11 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Could you edit the Tigers' post? It's coming up as a larger image:

Not sure why it's doing that... The image is no larger than the others. I've tried reuploading and reposting several times now to no avail. Sorry dude, if a mod sees this I'll take a word of advice to solve this issue so that the thread is still mobile-friendly.

MJD- Which concept are you referring to in regards to the matching cap logo? Or did you simply mean like, generally speaking?

Thanks! 

Archived