The World Hockey League, It's Back!!!

JCRGraphix

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Job so far however if the NHL closed it's doors due to the WHL: There will probably be expansion to Buffalo, Calgary, Detroit, Edmonton, Hartford, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Jersey, 2nd Team in New York (to compete with Brooklyn), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Quebec and/or St. Louis as the years progress.

2 minutes ago, athleticsfan2k8 said:

Nice Job so far however if the NHL closed it's doors due to the WHL: There will probably be expansion to Buffalo, Calgary, Detroit, Edmonton, Hartford, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Jersey, 2nd Team in New York (to compete with Brooklyn), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Quebec and/or St. Louis as the years progress.

Well the way, the league was set up. There was a North American and an European conference.

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

1991-92.png

The 1991-92 season saw the debut of some talented rookies including Teemu Selanne, Martin Brodeur, and Niklas Lidstrom. Selanne finished the season fifth in scoring behind Mario Lemieux (1st), Wayne Gretzky (2nd), and Kevin Stevens and Ramil Yuldashev (tied at 3rd), leading the Amsterdam Royals to 1st place in the Western European Division after finishing last the previous season. Patrick Roy had another fantastic season but was edged out by Copenhagen's Tim Cheveldae for the Tretiak Trophy. The year's biggest trade was between the Boston Irish and the Toronto Bucks. After picking up Ed Belfour in the off-season, the Irish sent Kevin Stevens to Toronto for John MacLean, Sylvain Turgeon, and Brian Glynn. The Irish ended up 2nd in the American Division.

The 1992 playoffs featured some major goaltending duels. In the Eastern Division, Dominik Hasek and the Prague Golems eliminated Arturs Irbe and the Riga Griffins in 5 low-scoring games. Mikhail Shtalenkov and the St. Petersburg Horsemen knocked out rookie Martin Brodeur, who was filling in for the injured Alexei Marijn in 6 games despite Brodeur shutting out the Horsemen in their own arena. The Golems would go on to beat the Horsemen in 5 to win the division. In the Western Division, the Amsterdam Royals beat the Stockholm Norsemen in 6 games, while Tim Cheveldae and the Copenhagen Hammer swept the Cologne Magi. The Hammer would go on to beat the Royals in 6. It would also take 6 games for the Hammer to beat the Golems. In the American division, the 1st place Seattle Orcas beat the expansion Ontario Americans in 6 games while the Boston Irish swept the Chicago Cardinals. In the Canadian Division, the Montreal Quebecois beat the Winnipeg Lakers 4 games to 2, while the Saskatoon Blazers fell to the Toronto Bucks in 6. The Bucks went on to surprise both the Quebecois and Orcas in seven games each. Seven turned out to be the unlucky number for the Bucks in the finals as they were defeated by the Hammer in game seven.

Regular season standings:

European Conference:

Eastern Division:
1. Prague Golems
2. Kiev Angels
3. St. Petersburg Horsemen
4. Riga Griffins
5. Moscow Stars
6. Minsk Bisons

Western Division:
1. Amsterdam Royals
2. Copenhagen Hammer
3. Cologne Magi
4. Stockholm Norsemen
5. Helsinki Icebreakers

North American Conference:

American Division:
1. Seattle Orcas
2. Boston Irish
3. Chicago Cardinals
4. Ontario Americans
5. Washington Eagles
6. Brooklyn Emperors

Canadian Division:
1. Montreal Quebecois
2. Saskatoon Blazers
3. Toronto Bucks
4. Winnipeg Lakers
5. Halifax Bombers

PLAYOFFS92.png

:cry:

Also, the old Magi profile pic is back! (BTW, can you have the story so when it was announced that Cologne would be moved to Amsterdam, I would have resigned as Magi GM and found a new team, probably the new German team. Of course, it's your story, but if the original series continued I would have done that.)

ExJworW.png

YES! #HAMMERTIME

This is what I had in mind when I rebuilt this squad, a deep run into the playoffs! I knew we were destined to go to the top. Here's hoping for a few more!

I would also like to see the standings and team/top player stats if you're still tracking them. Adds to the story.

2 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

We may have not gone back to back but Les Québecois will be back...also I love re-living the inaugural season!

i dont

"This is our f*****g city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."—David Ortiz 

#34ever

I just updated the regular season standings in each season summary, but here they are as well:

1990-91

European Conference:

Eastern Division:

1. St. Petersburg Horsemen
2. Riga Griffins
3. Kiev Angels
4. Prague Golems
5. Moscow Stars

Western Division:

1. Copenhagen Hammer
2. Stockholm Norsemen
3. Cologne Magi