North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

5 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

The Fire were dead last last year.

They just finished in third overall this year and would have finished second if they hadn't lost to Houston. Plus, they've got the Golden Boot winner.

What. The. :censored:.

There's so much turnover in MLS, and a lot of it can be attributed to having one great DP on your team. Seattle's probably done the best of being consistently good year-in, year-out, but that's only because LA Galaxy went off a cliff this season.

Isn't this the first year Chicago tried in a while?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

The Fire were dead last last year.

They just finished in third overall this year and would have finished second if they hadn't lost to Houston. Plus, they've got the Golden Boot winner.

What. The. :censored:.

I figured the Schweinsteiger signing would be another DP fiasco from the bumbling brigade in Bridgeview, but from all accounts, Basti has been invested in the team and helped shape the culture on the field that made them so unexpectedly good.

Toyota Park's sold out multiple times this season. I genuinely never thought I'd see the day.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The Whitecaps started the day first in the west and ended third facing a knockout round match against San Jose later this week. Being home helps, but not blowing a chance to win the conference against a rival would have been better. The Cascadia teams won, showed and placed in the West, and I think we're headed for a Portland/Seattle western final.

The East doesn't matter, because this season's Toronto FC are the greatest MLS team of all time. I suspect they'll blitz their way into MLS Cup again. And, barring a major weather effect, they probably (and should) win the title. But how likely is weather to affect an MLS game played in Toronto in December?

Man, who knows? it's been 20 celcious + this weekend.....weather has been so weird this year. 

It didn't really effect it last year. Fingers crossed that will be the same (assuming they get there)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's MLS playoff time, which means we get to complain about the away goals rule.

I think the higher seed should get a choice of hosting the first or second leg. Traditionally, it seems to be better to build a goal accumulation lead at home and then park the bus in game two. This has at least been my observation of Seattle, who have had terrible second legs against LA at home when being the higher seed, countered by last year's awesome home starts against Dallas and Colorado en route to MLS Cup final.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 2017-10-20 at 11:06 AM, McCarthy said:

Even if it's not legally incorrect, it's not the decent thing to do. 

Indeed.  But that is utterly irrelevant.  

12 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I think the higher seed should get a choice of hosting the first or second leg. Traditionally, it seems to be better to build a goal accumulation lead at home and then park the bus in game two. 

Absolutely.  

Well, :censored:. That was an awful end to the season for the Fire.

That being said, going from dead last to finishing third in the league and going to the playoffs is a great turnaround. Hopefully they make the necessary changes this offseason and keep the momentum going.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Here's a complete timeline of Anthony Precourt's effort to move the Crew: http://www.columbusalive.com/entertainment/20171025/news-anthony-precourts-game-of-deception

Diabolical. 

It’s gonna be absolutely freakin’ beautiful to watch this Austin team fail and leave Precourt looking like the fool he is. If the city can’t support a freaking USL team, what basis is there for us to believe that they can support an MLS team?

spacer.png

He did change course and will give refunds to those that want it, but only after it became a PR dumpster fire to not offer refunds. Now it's back to the unwinnable dilemma for ticket buyers - do you get your refund and prove him right on his way out of town or do you keep the tickets, give this crook more of your money, and he leaves anyways? I think I've switched positions here. Take the loss, give him the money you were already going to give him, but make one last attempt at saving the team. It will take a mass of support to change the tide here and nothing will happen by sitting at home. Precourt's trying to flip the team and clearly wants to have an MLS squad in Austin, Texas, but a consolation prize would be selling it for more than he paid for it even if it means keeping the team in Columbus. If he can be made to look like enough of a buffoon, if this gets to be enough of a PR disaster for MLS then I can see a scenario where the league and him agree to sell to a local Columbus buyer and zips off to some rich guy island.

edit: It would be cool if they just won the whole damn thing, which would mean hosting the MLS Cup, and then he would look like an even bigger tool for moving the team. A real life "Major League" scenario. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Take the loss, give him the money you were already going to give him, but make one last attempt at saving the team.

This is what I am thinking of doing. Possibly the lowest cost tickets, just to prove that even the ex-pats give a damn about our club. I'll definitely be attempting to make at least one game next year, because I have no intention of ever going to Austin to watch MLS, even if it is an hour away.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just got home from walking the dogs and realized I missed the likely best game of the first round: ATL/Columbus...Except I didn't!

70,000 people watching playoff soccer is a beautiful thing.

EDIT: Credit where it's due -- Brad Guzan has been good with Atlanta. Certainly better than Howard in Colorado.

Atlanta doing a great Argentina impersonation. Ouch.

Sad end to an otherwise incredible first year in Atlanta.

Folks... I regret to inform you that Atlanta has done it again.

What a game. Steffen was out of his mind in goal, especially that first PK, my word. Now, with all they're going through, I hope Columbus can take it all.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

#SaveTheCrew

Congrats to Atlanta on a fantastic first season. They showed new MLS franchises how to do it - focus on young talent instead of big, old names. 

Watch Columbus Major League this one. 

spacer.png

Archived