North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Half joking, perhaps MLS is giving itself 40 franchises so it can split into two leagues of 20, all contained in mls being d1 and d2. 

Not happening, but.

No, if 40 happens then they'll split into more distinct East and West conferences with limited inter-conference play.  Essentially two parallel D1 leagues, not a D1 and D2.

32 minutes ago, GeauxColonels said:

Which is what I'm truly afraid of. The quality of the league is getting better, no doubt. But, the pace of expansion can work against the quality as you spread players out over more teams. I'd hate to see the MLS take a step back in terms of quality.

I don't think that's really a concern.   There's literally a whole world of talent from which to draw, unlike every other sport in this country.  The more the league grows, the more television revenue can rise to match and the more money they'll have to chase foreign players.  And 40 MLS clubs mean 40 academy systems developing talent here at home.

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, if 40 happens then they'll split into more distinct East and West conferences with limited inter-conference play.  Essentially two parallel D1 leagues, not a D1 and D2.

I don't think that's really a concern.   There's literally a whole world of talent from which to draw, unlike every other sport in this country.  The more the league grows, the more television revenue can rise to match and the more money they'll have to chase foreign players.  And 40 MLS clubs mean 40 academy systems developing talent here at home.

MLS  should never aim for 40. 28 should be the cutoff.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think the MLS playoff schedule is pretty good as-is. It combines the best of the NFL and Champion League rules, and I think having more teams eligible for the playoffs is better than fewer when your league is young.

32 teams seems like a fine cutoff. Removing the salary cap will be important at some point in time, though would likely require a drastically more lucrative TV contract.

The MLS continues to head in the right direction. The Beckham signing changed everything; the next big deal is to sign someone like him, but ten years earlier in his career.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

59 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Scheduling and parity. If we're talking about loosening the salary cap you could possibly add more. I just don't want to get to the point that the playoff schedule looks like something out of Baseketball.

If anything, we're closer to that now.  We can add teams without expanding the playoffs. 

As for the salary cap, more teams equals more revenue.  Add that to the increased academy activity and chasing more foreign players, and the salary cap would undoubtedly be raised. 

I just don't want to see the league panic and throw open the gates because China is throwing silly money around the globe to see what it can reel in. I know the CSL just changed the rules but the next team to come up next year will do the same thing the teams playing everywhere else in the world does. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Maybe January afternoons aren't the be-all, end-all of soccer support, but I would think a market auditioning for an MLS team would have a bit better attendance at a USMNT game.

Though if USMNT games are still stupid expensive, I don't know.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Maybe January afternoons aren't the be-all, end-all of soccer support, but I would think a market auditioning for an MLS team would have a bit better attendance at a USMNT game.

Tickets went on sale on December 19.  Most folks likely had their money (or credit) used on holiday gifts.

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

They are. It's absurd. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Gothamite said:

I think there are certainly more than 28 viable markets in this country, why should that be the cutoff?

I would think that for MLS to be successful you'd want to have a second tier that's just as successful at their own level of development.

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They are. It's absurd. 

Cheapest tickets for USA vs Mexico in San Antonio were around $80-$100. At least Gold Cup should be cheaper, though it is Mexico vs 3 teams that won't make it past the first knockout round. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wow.  That's less than I've paid at other games.

3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I would think that for MLS to be successful you'd want to have a second tier that's just as successful at their own level of development.

And we could still have it.  

30 or 32 or 34 or even 40 would still leave plenty of American cities capable of supporting lower-division clubs.  And more MLS clubs mean more affiliations, which means more money to assist that development.

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wow.  That's less than I've paid at other games.

And we could still have it.  

30 or 32 or 34 or even 40 would still leave plenty of American cities capable of supporting lower-division clubs.  And more MLS clubs mean more affiliations, which means more money to assist that development.

32 seems to be the best possible American league size for scheduling and divisional purpose (2 conf x 4 div x 4 teams/div).

28 would be a smart holding pattern for MLS to allow teams 22-28 (Atlanta, Minnesota, and onward) to establish themselves and grow before bringing on a new crop.

My son and I attended yesterday's USA-Serbia friendly. I was hoping that the crowd would be better than the announced attendance of 20,079. Given that we're talking about a city that is home to nearly 1.4 million people, with a metro area population of over 3 million, it's going to take some spin to position that number as a "plus" for San Diego's bid to land a Major League Soccer franchise.

Here's hoping that today's Major League Soccer San Diego press conference - and public rally -on the flight deck of the USS Midway museum ship generates an impressively enthusiastic crowd. As someone who owns property in Coronado, I'd love to see the city secure an MLS franchise.

Archived